Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 08:42 PM

59 posts, read 181,115 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about moving to Texas and was in Austin last weekend and loved it. I have never been to Dallas.....which place is better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 09:23 PM

339 posts, read 1,435,613 times
Since you didn't say exactly what you look for in a town, it's impossible to determine which is "better". Tho speaking only in very broad strokes, Austin is considered a bit more laid back and Dallas is more of a 'see and be seen' town. But just like Austin isn't comprised of only pot smoking, liberal, guitar strumming hippies, Dallas singles are not all snobby, gold digging status hounds obsessed with their careers. But usually in threads like this people are quick to point out some lingering stereotypes in both cities. Some of the generalizations Austinites make about us do have some basis and vice versa.

The single scene here in Dallas runs the gamut as it would in any large city. If bars are your thing we've got just about every kind imaginable. (And with as many churches as bars, you're covered on that end too!) Many eligible types may prefer to live in Dallas proper near The Village, Uptown, Greenville Ave, Victory Park, CBD, Deep Ellum or other spots usually less attractive to families. Personally I'd find it hard to be in the dating scene living in Dallas' far north 'burbs, but otherwise I never had any problem meeting people. Frankly, I think most of the entire state is overall friendly enough and it isn't difficult making friends if you're willing to venture out.

I'd recommend that if you can come for a visit, do. You can find out for yourself the differences in the cities. The metroplex is HUGE and sprawling so you'll need a few days. Lots of people in Dallas look down on Austin and vice versa, though I enjoy both towns just for entirely different reasons. Dallas has a nice cost of living, excellent dining/shopping, and a pretty solid job market. But that doesn't mean it's a good fit for everyone. Austin, to me, as congested as it can get, still has more a small town feeling...apples and oranges you know?

You also may get more accurate feedback if you let us know what about Austin you enjoyed and what your lifestyle is like--wear a tie, like the outdoors, how much you want to spend on an apt, etc.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:39 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,862,680 times
I know for sure, Austin, will be a better fit for you.

You didn't list any specifics of what you are looking for but I know for a fact you'll do better in Austin.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:48 PM

I do know some people in Austin and I do like to go out an have a good time. I am sure there are plenty of single women in both towns and alot of stuff to do. I do like to head out on the town on the weekends and hit a few resturaunts and bars. What would you say is the biggest difference between the 2? Ill probably be getting a 1 BR, nothing more than $800.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:13 AM

killer, whatmakes Austin so much better than Dallas?

Old 12-03-2008, 05:51 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,461,741 times
Its cheaper to rent in Dallas. I paid $868 for a 850 sf loft in DeepEllum which is pretty much downtown. The address was 3311 Elm st.

If you look at lofts is downtown Austin yoru not going to get much under $1200 for a comparable sized space.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:10 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,433,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwayzRight View Post
I do know some people in Austin and I do like to go out an have a good time. I am sure there are plenty of single women in both towns and alot of stuff to do. I do like to head out on the town on the weekends and hit a few resturaunts and bars. What would you say is the biggest difference between the 2? Ill probably be getting a 1 BR, nothing more than $800.
For $800 you can do much better in Dallas than Austin. Housing costs and COL generally are lower in Dallas than Austin.
The Singles scene in Austin seems to skew a little younger. There will be a lot more 18-21 year olds due to the presence of the University.
As for bars, it is pretty much a wash, both have a huge number of great bars.
Dallas is much better for restaurants.
The Music scene is better in Austin.
The Arts and Theatre scene overall is better in Dallas.
The pace is different. Austin is a University town and government town.
Dallas is a commercial center.
The job market isn't good anywhere, but it is better in Dallas than Austin.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:08 PM

What is the biggest negative for people our age? Are there tons of single 24+ women, traffic...etc..I have heard that Dallas is way to spread out...thoughts?

Old 12-03-2008, 08:16 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,797,257 times
My husband is from Austin, and he said he had to move to Dallas to find women of substance. Since most of Austin is Techy, the women there were mostly administrators and teachers, and he was sick of dating teachers talking about their kids all day.

He needed to be in a place with more variety. However, he did false advertsise because he never told me his master plan was to find a wife in Dallas and then move her back to Austin, but we're moving there after the first of the year. I'm not very happy about it, but his job told him to go...

So, bottomline, if you are looking for dates, my husband says you should go to Dallas.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:09 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,432,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwayzRight View Post
I am thinking about moving to Texas and was in Austin last weekend and loved it. I have never been to Dallas.....which place is better?
Well in my opinion, Dallas is better. In your situation, you will get a nicer apartment here for $800 than you will in Austin. Since you are single, you will probably like Uptown, Greenville Ave., Knox-Henderson, and downtown areas better as that is where all the nightlife, parties, and stuff are.

As far as the economy goes, Dallas and Austin are doing well compared to other areas in the US. The DFW area is HUGE and most of it is growing fast! As far as shopping and restaurants go, Dallas wins hands-down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas