Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 08:41 AM

824 posts, read 1,815,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
Let me jump in and defend the OP. As I was reading his post, I was nodding in agreement to just about everything he said.

For the rebuttal to the rebuttal:

Preamble: Is this guy really just describing Richardson homes? Hardly. His beefs apply just as well to Garland, Mesquite, Plano, Frisco, Carrollton, De Soto, and pretty much anywhere in Dallas below 7 figures.

1) Chicago suburbs don't have these ridiculously small plots. And Dallas really isn't a land-poor city, like San Francisco. Even lots 20-30 miles outside of NYC aren't postage-stamp sized like these here in North Texas. Honestly, the DFW plot sizes look like they were platted in 1880, not 1980. I thought everything was bigger in Texas. What gives?

2) Criminals like dark streets as well. I live in a new development here in DFW, and we have a streetlight at each corner - that's it. It's honestly a bit spooky to walk around at night, due to the darkness. Up in Minneapolis, where I'm from, we'd have a streetlight every 4 or 5 houses.

3) I agree with the OP. I think alleys suck, for the very same reasons. (Well, except for the shoe thing - I didn't get that at all.) I've had an alley home up north and down here, and I've had a non-alley home in both places. I much prefer front or side entry garages.

I have yet to see the alley that didn't look like complete crap. All the usual kid stuff - bicycling, basketball, jump rope - takes place by an icky alley, instead of in the front of the house. And with alleys, you rarely have those "hey, how ya doin'?" encounters that build a community spirit. No one ever uses the front door.

"Front garages terrible for neighborhoods"? Heck, that was a major buying point for my current home.

"Encourages people to park in their driveways"??? Why is that a problem? Do people not park in their alley driveways? If not, it's probably because the alley is more inviting to car break-ins than parking a car in the front of a house would be. Especially since there are so few streetlights in the alley.

4) I think the OP is referring to the practice of creating a tiny enclosed toilet area inside the master bath. Up north, you tend to just have the toilet sitting out in the open, like you probably have in the other baths in the house. I think the OP has a point - the stall at McDonald's has more room than some houses I've seen.

5) Are you familiar with the term "ad hominem attack"? Because that is an exact description of what you list here for your point #5. The OP may or may not have too much junk. That does NOTHING to refute his/her point that DFW homes are designed with little to no junk storage space. While building my new house, I had to custom add decking of the garage attic to create a storage area, as well as a half-height door to make it possible to access it from inside the house without messing with a ladder. If I hadn't done that, I would have had a storage space/finished space ratio of 0%. Compare that to the 30-40% ratio you typically have for a house with a basement.

6) Those mailboxes suck, but they're not DFW specific - they're nationwide. Plus, they keep your bank statements from getting stolen. So I'll give you this one. That makes 1 out of 6.

Let me tack on my own gripe - those ugly cedar privacy fences that make the yards seem even smaller than they are. You see them sometimes in other places on a few people's property, but only here in Texas are they so ubiquitous. Wide open spaces, my rear end.
And the rebuttal to the rebuttal to the rebuttal:

1. I just disagree. There are many, many larger-lot (100'+ wide) subdivisions in DFW. And even in older, close-in neighborhoods, the lots are much larger than typical production-builder lots (Lake Highlands, for example). Of course, they're usually not as cheap as the small-lot subdivisions, for reasons that ought to be clear.

2. I don't disagree - but my contention is that subdivision streets are dark mostly because people prefer that.

3. Whether or not you prefer it, anyone who understands urbanism and/or architecture also understands why front-loaded garages are an inferior arrangement to alleys.

Of course alleys are not as attractive as streets. But they're intended for automobile storage, utility placement, garbage collection, etc. They are supposed to be functional. And when you place the functions that should be served by an alley (autos, utilities, garbage) in the street, it reduces the appeal of the street.

Cars parked in driveways is a problem for most people because they'd prefer their neighborhood not to look like a Wal-Mart parking lot (maybe some folks like that look). And people do park in their alley driveways - but the rest of the neighborhood doesn't have to look at it.

And I disagree with your contention that alleys prohibit meeting neighbors. In fact, neighborhoods with more attractive and walkable streets tend to have more pedestrian activity, increasing the opportunity for neighbors to interact with one another.

4. I just don't get the whole "toilet room" discussion. I'll concede that some people appear to have real "issues" with regards to this.

5. No, it's not an "ad hominem attack". I didn't say "you're an idiot because you have too much junk". You see, that would have been an ad hominem attack. The OP claimed he needed more space for his "junk". I suggested that he might have too much junk. It seems pretty clear - get rid of the "junk" or find a larger place.

By the way - if it's "junk", why would you want to keep it?

I know that people from the Midwest are accustomed to basements (which is where everyone stores their "junk"). But basements (even unfinished) are expensive to build.

By the way, the idea that homes in TX suburbs aren't big enough might be the most ridiculous claim made in this post. For all the problems with houses in DFW, size generally isn't one of them.

6. Right on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 09:43 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,867,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
Having lived in Richardson for a bit now, I have noticed several annoyances/bad things about the housing here in DFW/Texas. A lot of it will admit is related to having lived in a small town in Missouri for a very long time and is probably my personal preference. When I buy house here, hopefully in 1 year, these are going to be bugging me quite a bit.....
Well, since you seem to think that things are so much better in MO, maybe you'd be happier moving back there....

I'm with you on the front-entry garage. I had one in Midland, TX...and I looked for the same here in NM. I didn't want to be driving down the alley late at night. Front-entry is much safer.

As for huge lots? Water is not usually an issue in DFW, as it was in Midland and other semi-arid desert places. But who wants to spend their time mowing and trimming a huge backyard? If you enjoy all that extra work, then buy an older house with a huge corner lot!

I don't know of any areas in Texas where basements are common, as they are in the Midwest. Good luck on that one.

As for the cluster of mailboxes? I WISH I had one here. I had it on the block in Midland, dead center. I liked being able to walk down to my locking mailbox everyday..and they also had a couple of larger containers for packages and such.

I can't believe you would drive to the end of the block just to go get mail, LOL!! Unless it's freezing cold and snowing or pouring down, why not just walk and get some good exercise in the meantime?

Old 12-11-2008, 10:19 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,145,727 times
We have many large lots around my area - some of the homes I own have 175' deep lots - then there are estates with several acres. Some homes back up to parks, the country club, creeks and White Rock Lake. The lots in Forest Hills are almost 1/2 acre. About the smallest are 50' X150' We have very few rear-entry garages, most are detached from the homes. We don't have toilet rooms for the most part, unless it is a newer home. Some large houses on Swiss and Lakewood Blvd and the like have basements and some are on hills which have partial basements. Dilbeck built many homes with sort of a half-way submerged garage.

Sounds like you need to get out of Richardson.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:33 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,741,813 times
No, it sounds like he needs to move back to MO.

He's got some serious issues with the housing here. Like he said it's going to be hard for him to find something that doesn't make him unhappy.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:03 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,855,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycobb2522 View Post
Hey, I'm no different than anyone else; there are times I have to do my best impression of a whirling dervish to get my business done - who among us hasn't? But even when I find it necessary to contort and bend like a gold-medal gymnast, I've found that even the most confining water closet enclosures are adequate. In fact, I've found the proximity of the walls useful for leverage on more than one occasion.

I would say that my biggest complaint is a lack of soundproofing and exhaust fan capacity in said enclosures. Hey, I may emerge from the ordeal sweating, with my hair messed up, and out of breath, but I don't want someone down the street hearing what sounds like two wildebeasts mating, and I don't want the odor to cause the plaster to peel .

Seriously, are you serious?

Gee, thanks for the visual. Must be a male thing.

May I have your wifes email so that I can send her this link. I think it would make a great stocking stuffer for her to get you.
Poo~Pourri

Old 12-11-2008, 04:12 PM

636 posts, read 1,915,972 times
No, but I'd appreciate grab bars installed on the side walls; got a link for those?

Old 12-11-2008, 04:29 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,855,577 times
1. Lot sizes. We always pay the extra and get the HUGE culdesac lot. My lot is over 15K sq feet w/ a 5K sq foot house (2-story) so we have PLENTY of yard. So much of a HUGE side yard that we are in the process of building a 5 CAR GARAGE on that site. The backyard itself has a pool, kids swingset/fort and trampoline and PLENTY of grass for them to run and play and the doggies.

Yes, even in Wylie your going to find TEENY lots. Stay away from the lower end builders. If your trying to find a house w/ as much as possible for as little as possible your going to find teeny lots. I HATE teeny tiny lots. Every yard we have had has been HUGE! Yes even in Plano there are houses built on top of each other w/ only enough room for a pool the size of a hot tub. Even in the $700K range you will find these teeny lots. But there are PLENTY of areas around w/ HUGE lots.

Your just looking at the wrong builders in the wrong areas.

2. Street lights. There are plenty of lights for people to be out walking at night. I see people out in my neighborhood walking at night and w/ my headlights on, driving the speed limit it is not a problem. I actually PREFER the lower number of street lights. That way we are not creating a lot of light pollution and we CAN see the stars. You can put motion sensor lights over your driveway and at your front porch for safety if you wish. Most people do use the motion sensor lights on their driveways so that it automatically comes on when you pull in and if anyone is out there.

3. HATE front entry garages. YUCK! They clutter up the neighborhood. They are also a safety hazard for people out walking and kids being able to ride their bikes. People will park and block the sidewalk and people HAVE backed out and hit kids. It also creates LESS parking for visitors. And there is not an alley out there that would take you 5 minutes to get down unless your stuck behind the garbage truck. Like someone else said, all of that "clutter" is in back and not out front and creates a visually appealing front appearance. Someone else mentioned putting a gate across your driveway. A LOT of people do that and it creates a HUGE space for the kids to play and ride their bikes in a fenced in area.

With rear entry garages you actually get to met your neighbors BEHIND YOU!

4. Alley is ONLY "accident prone" if you SPEED down it. Besides, most people w/ common sense don't allow their kids to play in the alley anyway. If I'm barefooted and need shoes to go out front I go get a pair. No biggie at all. Don't need to keep a pair of shoes at the front door. You could always keep a pair of the garden clog type shoes in the front hall coat closet.

5. Water closet in master bath. Hmm, mine is 5x3. Seems PLENTY big enough for what needs to be done in there. Not like I have an audience or something or doing a dance. Well, maybe the "pee-pee dance" if I'm trying to get in there asap.

6. Put a floor down in your attic and there is plenty of room. No biggie. It isn't that dangerous toting things up or down. We actually have 2 attics. One in the house from the second floor and one in the garage. I also have a HUGE closet in my utility room that holds the Christmas tree, ornaments and most of my interior Christmas decorations. Never really needed a basement. Well, maybe for the teenagers..... We just do a good spring cleaning and then another one before Christmas and donate and get rid of things.

7. Our first neighborhood had the cluster mailboxes. GREAT for security as your mail is locked up and you don't have to worry about theft. The post office is the one who tells the builders and developers WHERE to put EACH and EVERY mailbox. One friend the builder put theirs on the right of their lot and the postal carrier would not deliver their mail. The builder had been told from the beginning it had to be on the left of their lot. It was actually in the greenbelt on the culdesac right across from our house. No traffic at all as most neighbors walked out to get it. It was actually a great place for the HOA to post info and you got to meet more of your neighbors.

8. Media room. Depending on the price point of the house and neighborhood you can lose big time on resale if you don't have one. And NO, putting a tv and a couch in there is NOT a "media room". We have one and don't use it as often as a lot of people w/o one think. It really is really nice and all done up but we just don't. I think the kids watch more movies in there than we do.

9. Master Bedroom - it MUST be DOWNSTAIRS! A master up KILLS resale in Dallas. Having a 2nd is great for guests. But we don't have overnite guests so having the "spare room" upstairs as a "playroom" for the kids works great. We can close the door and not see the mess or make it off limits if they are grounded.

10. Formals. You will NOT use these to entertain friends. EVERYONE gathers in the kitchen. An open kitchen/breakfast room/family room that is LARGE is MUCH better. Sure I like my formals for the holidays but that is the ONLY time ANYONE sits at the dining room table EVER. The formal is nice for someone stopping in real quick to do something that you don't know well or something. Other than that........ a lot of people are opting out of the formal living and only doing the dining room. That way they have a LARGE family area w/ the kitchen.

11. Brick. Yes, most houses in the Dallas area are brick.

12. L-shape or J-swing garages are MUCH better than a straight front entry. You will find these in areas backing to a golf course or greenbelt.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:13 PM

184 posts, read 551,574 times
This thread is cracking me up. Please continue, everybody.

What is really funny is the challenge to the Texas pride unintentionaly posted by the OP. The reactions are priceless and nothing less than what I would expect from Texans.

If car jackings were the norm in Dallas suburbs than I bet there would be a handful of people here saying, " So what? Maybe we LIKE to have our cars broken in to! Go back to your car stealing free town if its so much better!"

On topic, I do agree with most of the things the OP posted. My last house in Dallas was in the North Dallas/Plano area just off the tollway. He described my house perfectly:

Dark alley way behind the house. Dark front street with a lamp post every 14 houses or so. Small lot size. Even the small toilet area thing..Honestly I had never really thought about it. Probably because I was born and raised in Dallas. But thinking back now all my bathrooms had really small toilet areas...even in my master bedrooms. Not really a bad thing, as I mentioned I never even thought about it. But it is so true!

Old 12-11-2008, 06:47 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,145,727 times
There is a reason they are called "North Dallas Specials" by the REALTORS. Hey dude you need a really large exhaust fan. So did I tell you a lot of homes around here have attic fans?

Old 12-11-2008, 07:48 PM

636 posts, read 1,915,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambassador View Post
This thread is cracking me up. Please continue, everybody.

What is really funny is the challenge to the Texas pride unintentionaly posted by the OP. The reactions are priceless and nothing less than what I would expect from Texans.

If car jackings were the norm in Dallas suburbs than I bet there would be a handful of people here saying, " So what? Maybe we LIKE to have our cars broken in to! Go back to your car stealing free town if its so much better!" ...
But here's the deal: it's not Texas pride or a Texas thing at all. There are neighborhoods all over the Metroplex that have front entry garages, excessive street lighting, NO walls around the WC, etc. So those who disagree with the OP aren't doing it because of Texas pride; they are doing it because... they disagree.

If you want a house with a front entry garage, a WC wide open to the rest of the bath, streets lit up like Las Vegas, then just look around. You can find what you're looking for.

Of course some of the responses may be due to human nature; it's pretty common to defend your place when someone starts making negative comments about it and saying how it's better in... That isn't a Texas thing either- it's a pretty universal reaction. Especially when, as I stated, it really isn't true.

In fairness to the OP, they listed the good and the bad of what they've seen around here, and also admitted that MO isn't necessarilly heaven; it was a fair post, and I personally wasn't offended at all. I just think they haven't looked around enough.

As an aside to the OP: I've spent a good deal of time in MO, albeit in the Greater St. Louis area, and I find it absolutley charming. There is an abundance of brick; in fact the architectural style of many residences in that area are heavily influenced by Louis Sullivan, a true legend in the application of beautiful masonry in his designs. I think St Louis is highly underrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas