Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2008, 02:34 PM

264 posts, read 702,009 times

Advertisements

We moved to Austin in July,2001 and really do love it here. However, due to some work circumstances, we're considering moving back to town. My in-laws live in Carrollton, so we do visit occasionally and always make the trip to Snuffer's for the cheddar fries. My question is, how much as changed since then? I lived in the Greenville/University area for years and really like it there. I heard that the development has really grown around Mockingbird/75 area. Granted, we're different too, being parents now, but I'd still like to visit Ships or the Lakewood Landing for a drink here and there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 10:17 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,240,297 times
The Mockingbird Station is area is almost unrecognizable, the rest is still pretty much the same. The strip mall across from Mockingbird Station is still there. The proliferation of of high rise condos is probably the biggest change, and Uptown seems to have swallowed most of Oak Lawn.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:52 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,257,217 times
The other major change is the high 5 interchange at 635/75.

Google Image Result for http://www.texasfreeway.com/Dallas/construction/high_five/images2005-04-27/high_five_5.jpg

Naima

Old 12-14-2008, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryS80 View Post
The Mockingbird Station is area is almost unrecognizable, the rest is still pretty much the same. The strip mall across from Mockingbird Station is still there. The proliferation of of high rise condos is probably the biggest change, and Uptown seems to have swallowed most of Oak Lawn.
I assume you're talking about the strip mall w/the Jason's Deli. I know Campisi's is still there. I think we last ate there about 3 years ago. Condos are something that Austin has too much of also. Funny thing is, with the economic downturn, many will be sitting vacant when finished.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:55 AM

27 posts, read 94,459 times
Default Another former Austinite

Hi Chris,

I recently moved back to Dallas after living in Austin for 20 years. It is definitely not Austin. There are some out-of-the-way places here that are interesting, but it is much more difficult for small, funky places to survive here, as Dallas does not exactly celebrate funkiness. The Dallas approach is more akin to 'search and destroy.' I live in an historical district close to Fair Park and I love it. Unfortunately, there are not enough restaurants and businesses in this area, so I have to go to Deep Ellum, lower Greenville, Junius Heights, and Uptown for a lot of my socializing and shopping. But there is a great rib place on MLK!

Old 12-14-2008, 04:42 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,240,297 times
Deep Ellum is definitely dying, that's been a more recent change. Some clubs opened up that brought in a rougher crowd/criminal element. Crime spiked, people stopped going, and one of the previous mayors went on some self righteous "clean up deep ellum movement". Granted it did need cleaning up, but the crusade was more about being on some moral high horse that dealing with the actual problems. The latest plan is to turn it into some new urbanism development complete with........high priced, high rise condos and lofts.

Old 12-14-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryS80 View Post
Deep Ellum is definitely dying, that's been a more recent change. Some clubs opened up that brought in a rougher crowd/criminal element. Crime spiked, people stopped going, and one of the previous mayors went on some self righteous "clean up deep ellum movement". Granted it did need cleaning up, but the crusade was more about being on some moral high horse that dealing with the actual problems. The latest plan is to turn it into some new urbanism development complete with........high priced, high rise condos and lofts.
I remember when it was Theatre gallery, Clearview, and Prophet Bar. There for a few years, skinheads ran amuck down there until Jeff Swaney got the police to crack down on things.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:33 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,867,056 times
Well if it is for work you probably don't have much of a choice, do you?

Old 12-15-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
Well if it is for work you probably don't have much of a choice, do you?
No, I've got a choice, but the grass might be greener up there. Bigger town, more cars to work on, etc. We have no family here, so being close to my wife's parents would be nice for her. Not to mention they would gladly babysit.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:43 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Hey roverchris -- I posted this on another thread:

"Went to an informal party on Peak at Elm (a place where Plano people would freak) - Free food, beer and wine at Victor's Cafe - galleries open next door included Rich Morgan Studio, Karen Blessen, Paper Arts, Clay Austin Studio, Doug Davis Photography and even the Empower African Children headquarters. The after-party was around the corner at the It'll Do club - a place Jack Ruby used to go but is now an old dive attracting yuppies and immigrants. Great fun and a $6 cab ride from my house. But you can walk many places around here - look up the walkablity index and put in an address. My house in East Dallas shows .38 mile to many restaurants and shopping...

I saw a lot of people I knew at that party but met a lot of interesting new people - a writer, somebody filming a documentary, a couple who own a wine import business, a guy from Austria and his Oklahoman wife who own commercial real estate all over (and live above their office nearby), several architects, a photograper, etc..."

Guess who organized the party? Jeff Swaney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas