Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 07:38 PM

779 posts, read 2,247,104 times

Advertisements

Oh yes, Collin Creek Mall is another one I would like to visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 05:45 AM

339 posts, read 1,436,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autotech4dallas View Post
Oh yes, Collin Creek Mall is another one I would like to visit.
Autotech, wish you could have seen Collin Creek back in the early/mid-80s! Now I doubt a Hello Kitty store would have thrilled you to your very core, as it did the young kacvb, lol, but in its prime CC was a really fun place to visit--in terms of malls anyway-- and had some unique, wonderful stores. But now it's just, well, it's rather depressing. On the weekdays it's virtually dead. Weekends not much better, tho the place is rarely absent of the typical surly throng of teens. Since I don't like crowds but I do like parking near an entrance and since CC is a convenient drive for me, I try to make lemonade from Collin Creek's lemons, but the structure itself and much of the surviving retail has truly seen its better day. I cannot imagine it remaining many more years unless it's completely overhauled. But it's already got a reputation in Plano for being "that old gross mall" in a city that is sometimes known for preferring the new and shiny, so not sure even that would help.

Just last night I was at a few of CC's perimeter retail spots (which seem to be doing just fine) and glancing into the mall parking lot, it was surprising to see how relatively calm the lot appeared-- considering it was the last Fri night before Christmas!! Anyhoo, give it a visit next time you're in town, just don't expect too much. Though hubby thinks CC rocks because you can get a funnel cake in the food court. Rather rare these days. Nothing is more nutritious than a funnel cake, right?

Old 12-20-2008, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacvb1974 View Post
Autotech, wish you could have seen Collin Creek back in the early/mid-80s! Now I doubt a Hello Kitty store would have thrilled you to your very core, as it did the young kacvb, lol, but in its prime CC was a really fun place to visit--in terms of malls anyway-- and had some unique, wonderful stores. But now it's just, well, it's rather depressing. On the weekdays it's virtually dead. Weekends not much better, tho the place is rarely absent of the typical surly throng of teens. Since I don't like crowds but I do like parking near an entrance and since CC is a convenient drive for me, I try to make lemonade from Collin Creek's lemons, but the structure itself and much of the surviving retail has truly seen its better day. I cannot imagine it remaining many more years unless it's completely overhauled. But it's already got a reputation in Plano for being "that old gross mall" in a city that is sometimes known for preferring the new and shiny, so not sure even that would help.

Just last night I was at a few of CC's perimeter retail spots (which seem to be doing just fine) and glancing into the mall parking lot, it was surprising to see how relatively calm the lot appeared-- considering it was the last Fri night before Christmas!! Anyhoo, give it a visit next time you're in town, just don't expect too much. Though hubby thinks CC rocks because you can get a funnel cake in the food court. Rather rare these days. Nothing is more nutritious than a funnel cake, right?
Lol, I wish I would have been able to check it out in the mid 80's. I was born in the late 80's. But wow, so sad to hear that CC mall is deteriorating as the years go by. I guess you can expect that in any city if a mall is not receiving enough business.

Aw man, I miss and forgotten what funnel cakes taste like and now I want one this early in the morning.

I will pay CC a visit soon, just to check it out (and for the funnel cakes).

Old 12-20-2008, 09:41 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
[quote=kacvb1974;6641708
Just last night I was at a few of CC's perimeter retail spots (which seem to be doing just fine) and glancing into the mall parking lot, it was surprising to see how relatively calm the lot appeared-- considering it was the last Fri night before Christmas!! Anyhoo, give it a visit next time you're in town, just don't expect too much. Though hubby thinks CC rocks because you can get a funnel cake in the food court. Rather rare these days. Nothing is more nutritious than a funnel cake, right?[/QUOTE]

Yes, back in the heydays Collin Creek was almost "THE MALL" to go to. It was ALWAYS PACKED! Even in non holiday times on busy days the parking was out on the grass.

We were up there last night as well, had a craving for Genghis. I glanced over to the mall parking lot and it was HALF EMPTY! This was at 7:45ish. NO WAY!!! I mean I was at Firewheel the night before: a school night AND bad weather and it was PACKED and parking was hard to find. Yet the perimeter stores and restaurants of Collin Creek do just fine. Just look at the lot across the street where Barnes & Noble is located - PACKED! Even back before Richardson Square "died" and Dillard's was there and all, this close to Christmas it would also be packed. Collin Creek is just not drawing anyone but the throngs of low-crotch riding teens. The mainstream retail stores have gone or are leaving and the ones filling their place are the discount no one knows them stores.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:03 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,969,449 times
Any opinions on Southlake Town Square? On The Shops At Legacy in Plano? Or Firewheel Town Center in Garland?

Old 12-20-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
Any opinions on Southlake Town Square? On The Shops At Legacy in Plano? Or Firewheel Town Center in Garland?
Oh man, I remember visiting The Shops At Legacy in Plano back in 2003 when I visited Dallas for the first time. I think it is near Legacy and the Tollway but man, I cannot remember what it was like, or what it looks like for that matter.

Old 12-20-2008, 02:09 PM

288 posts, read 1,191,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Northpark - okay to walk around in I guess. Has a "cold" feel to me.
It's a shopping museum.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:01 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
The Shops at Legacy - more restaurant options than shopping, imho. It was okay. Not a place to hit to get a LOT of shopping done. Mostly specialty stores.

Southlake Town Square - better than above ^. Nice, specialty shops, regular stores your used to finding at a mall and strip center, good dining options.

Firewheel - All of the stores are what you would find in a typical indoor mall but in an outdoor setting. Dillard's and Macy's anchor it. Better restaurants and dining choices than an indoor mall. No central food court.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:00 AM

1,383 posts, read 3,433,348 times
Our 3 favorite are Northpark, the Galleria, and Stonebriar. We were at Northpark yesterday and it was packed!

Old 12-21-2008, 08:04 AM

1,383 posts, read 3,433,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
The Shops at Legacy - more restaurant options than shopping, imho. It was okay. Not a place to hit to get a LOT of shopping done. Mostly specialty stores.

Southlake Town Square - better than above ^. Nice, specialty shops, regular stores your used to finding at a mall and strip center, good dining options.

Firewheel - All of the stores are what you would find in a typical indoor mall but in an outdoor setting. Dillard's and Macy's anchor it. Better restaurants and dining choices than an indoor mall. No central food court.
Ya Southlake Town Square and Firewheel Town Center are the best outdoor malls in DFW because they have a good selection of stores and restaurants. I've heard that the Jonas Brothers are seen at Southlake Town Center all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas