Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 08:28 PM

291 posts, read 674,494 times

Advertisements

So I'm planning to expand my job search from just Dallas to maybe some of the burbs. My question is this - which of the surrounding areas can I commute to from Dallas via public transportation (assuming I work past 6pm)?

One of the jobs I'm thinking of applying to is Addison. Can I get from Dallas to Addison without it taking a million years? How about Plano? Any other areas I should be looking at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 11:14 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,516,646 times
The line with the most extensive list of stops would be the one that parallels I-75. It's either the red or the blue line. There are stops along that route that line up with office buildings in Central Dallas, North Dallas, Richardson and East Plano. That line runs north/south but it leans to the east side once it leaves downtown Dallas. Addison is due north of downtown, so it would not be very convenient. There would probably be bus service from Addison, but no rail service.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:57 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,066,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGGirl View Post
So I'm planning to expand my job search from just Dallas to maybe some of the burbs. My question is this - which of the surrounding areas can I commute to from Dallas via public transportation (assuming I work past 6pm)?

One of the jobs I'm thinking of applying to is Addison. Can I get from Dallas to Addison without it taking a million years? How about Plano? Any other areas I should be looking at?
Why don't you look at the DART website?

Old 12-20-2008, 07:42 AM

You'll have to admit to the irony, CGGirl... you regard our fine DART system as of "limited value" and now you will have to depend on it for your survival in this market. I would return the expression you used on me... LOL... but my momma raised me to be a gentleman.

So I'll bury my amusement at the workings of God's judgment and actually try to help you out.

The town of Addison is a huge edge city, i.e. a suburban office complex, and would be the Dallas equivalent of Stamford, Conn in the New York area, or maybe the town of Bethesda in the Washington area. It has a transit station and buses radiate from it. At this time, there is no rail service to this center, but there are plans to eventually connect it by rail to the rail stations in Carrollton and Plano. The transit center is connected to downtown Dallas by a nonstop bus (#205) during peak hours, and also by a limited stop bus (#183) that runs all day and evening. The major employers in Addison are more or less along the freeway known as the North Dallas Tollway, which runs from south (downtown dallas) through Addison, and north to Plano and Frisco. There shouuld be a bus line originating at the Addison bus terminal that will connect you to them.

To look at the DART website, go to DART.org - Dallas Area Rapid Transit

The DART system is not countywide, but is owned by its member cities. The corresponding transit authority in Fort Worth is called the "T" and serves the city and a couple of suburbs. Denton county, to the northwest of Dallas, also has a transit authority and operates buses only, at this time, but is building a rail connection from the DART rail system to the major town of Denton. The DART member cities are Dallas, Highland Park, University Park, Garland, Richardson, Plano, Addison, Carrollton, Farmers Branch, Rowlett, Irving and Glenn Heights. Suburbs without transit would be Frisco, Arlington, Grand Prairie, Mesquite, Duncanville, Lancaster, and some others. Mostly, the jobs would be in the DART suburbs, especially Addison, Richardson, Plano, and Irving.

If you are working in Richardson or east Plano, the DART Red line will easily get you there from downtown or Uptown Dallas. I believe that a previous poster has described that option fairly well. Irving has a large office complex called Las Colinas, and has many job opportunities. There are express buses to the Las Colinas transit center from downtown and near north Dallas, and the Las Colinas apartment developments have a quaint character, especially along the lake and the canal.

If you are working in Addison or west Plano, it would be far better for you to actually live there. If you are diffident about living in a suburb, I'd suggest you check out Addison Circle, a very urban-like place, with many, many shops, clubs and restaurants within walking distance. It has the feeling of a dense city, rather than a suburban town, and could be described as "New Urbanism". An added benefit is that it is next to the Addison Transit Center. Or, you could live in Legacy Town Center, also very urban and pedestrian in character. It has the Plano Angelika art film house and has just opened a large independent bookstore. It would, however, be less convenient to the DART system. If I had a car, I'd live in Legacy, but with no car, I'd live in Addison Circle.

I know what it feels like to be looking for work, and even if the Dallas economy is among the best in America, it still is a rough time we live in. I wish you luck in getting yourself established.

-Ace

Last edited by aceplace; 12-20-2008 at 08:31 AM..

Old 12-20-2008, 09:26 AM

175 posts, read 404,935 times
You can commute to Addison from Dallas (in town/uptown/oaklawn) without a problem. And it would be easy. But of course you gotta look at the time of busses, the last bus leaves the Addison Transit Center at 12am I think.

There are 2 or 3 express busses that run from Addison Transit Center to in town Dallas. They run on the tollway, so no stops all the way to Dallas. You can reach the Downtown Transit Center through one of the express busses. Or get off on the roads after tollway.

Depending on where you live you may need another bus, or walk. If you are working late night, well it is your risk to take the bus.

Plano has a really crappy bus system unless you are working in major streets, parts of Parker has bus line, (rich part does not allow busses to pass), same goes for Park (I believe). There are offices on Plano Parkway and busses pass through.

So you can potentially take the train up to plano, then take a bus. If you decide to work in the big companies around Legacy etc (Nortwest plano) i think that will be even harder. As I know no busses go there. Another crappy planning of Dart.

When they planned their routes they must have been smoking something. Why didn't they call experst from Europe and stuff to design their routes???

Quote:
If you are diffident about living in a suburb, I'd suggest you check out Addison Circle, a very urban-like place, with many, many shops, clubs and restaurants within walking distance. It has the feeling of a dense city, rather than a suburban town, and could be described as "New Urbanism"
And do not believe in what ace says
Addison Circle does not even have a grocery store inside. There is a Wal Mart that opened nearby but you have to pass over the tollway to go there. Imagine carrying your groceries that way. That would be fun

They have a small mini-market in Addison Circle (unless they opened a new one), but of course what is that enough for and lets not forget the prices ?
The closest Kroger is like 1.5 miles away
The closest Tom Thumb is even farther, but I think you can take the bus to go to the Tom Thumb store. It should have a direct line in Belt Line road. But if you will do that, there is not much reason the specifically live in Addison circle, where the rent is much higher compared to other areas (which the high rent does not equal urban advantage). You can rent decent sized and decent shaped condos off Preston road, save much more money compared to Addison Circle, and take the bus routes to run on Preston and Beltline to go to Addison.

Unless you want to eat out all the time, and gain more and more weight while your wallet is getting lighter, Addison is the best place to live for wannabe urbans.

The funniest thing about Addison, and Addison circle is, it is like a baloon, that looks good outside but air filled inside.

It is not urban, just looks urban. But the whole concept of urbanism, where people can walk to all their needs does not really exist there (unless you want to walk a little bit )

Last edited by zatires; 12-20-2008 at 09:37 AM..

Old 12-20-2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zatires View Post
The funniest thing about Addison, and Addison circle is, it is like a baloon, that looks good outside but air filled inside.

It is not urban, just looks urban. But the whole concept of urbanism, where people can walk to all their needs does not really exist there (unless you want to walk a little bit
Once again, Zatires, you miss the point. I'll sharpen it a bit for you... urban living means you 'want to walk a little bit". And there is a very nice and convenient bridge across the Tollway to the shopping on the other side.

It's no sweat at all to take a bus to the supermarket at Preston and Belt Line.

If the lack of a large supermarket within a few blocks keeps a district from being urban, then there are very few truly urban places in cities like San Francisco, let alone Dallas.

Yeah, the walkability and density and a bit of access to shops makes an urban pedestrian district, and Addison Circle is pretty well recognized in the New Urbanism community. Not to mention that it is next to the huge Addison park that has festivals in the summer and Octoberfest in the fall, and the brilliant Addison theatre most of the year.

By the way, avoid the cheap apartments in the area. There is a reason they're cheap. They are worn out and the management doesn't do maintenance. Zatires is very, very wrong on that one.

Last edited by aceplace; 12-20-2008 at 11:47 AM..

Old 12-20-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zatires View Post
There are 2 or 3 express busses that run from Addison Transit Center to in town Dallas. They run on the tollway, so no stops all the way to Dallas. You can reach the Downtown Transit Center through one of the express busses. Or get off on the roads after tollway.
Absolutely wrong. There is only one true express bus, the 205. And even more unfortunately, it doesn't show a schedule from downtown to Addison in the morning, or a return in the evening.

What you'd want is the 183, which is nonstop on the Tollway, but becomes a local at the Galleria. It would take you a little over 30 minutes to get to Addison from downtown.

I'm afraid Mr Zatires is once again mistaken.

Nor did he read your original post very carefully. He seems to think you want to go downtown from Addison in the morning, that you're trying to get to the "Downtown Transit Center" in the morning. He doesn't understand that you're exploring a possible job in Addison and you want to go TO there.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:38 AM

One very good reason for living in the Addison Circle is that you are 1 block away from the transit center. You can easily walk there, take a bus that will take you to your workplace without a transfer. I don't know what kind of work you do, CG, but the Tollway is lined with office buildings for several miles north and south of Addison Circle, and the stretch of Belt Line road has over 100 restaurants and clubs within a couple of miles of Addison Circle. The sheer convenience of access to quick transit makes your life there more pleasant.

And you can get to downtown Dallas in 30 minutes on the #183.

Last edited by aceplace; 12-20-2008 at 11:52 AM..

Old 12-20-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
Absolutely wrong. There is only one true express bus, the 205. And even more unfortunately, it doesn't show a schedule from downtown to Addison in the morning, or a return in the evening.

What you'd want is the 183, which is nonstop on the Tollway, but becomes a local at the Galleria. It would take you a little over 30 minutes to get to Addison from downtown.

I'm afraid Mr Zatires is once again mistaken.

Nor did he read your original post very carefully. He seems to think you want to go downtown from Addison in the morning, that you're trying to get to the "Downtown Transit Center" in the morning. He doesn't understand that you're exploring a possible job in Addison and you want to go TO there.

You keep on being proven wrong again and again.
If you were able to read my post, I did understand that the OP wants to go from Dallas to Addison, but not sure where in Dallas.

Here are your facts mr wrongace

DART.org--Route 205*Weekday/Entre Semana To Addison Transit Center

Bus 205 runs from Addison-Downtown-Addison

Here is the schedule from Dallas to Addison!

DART.org--Route 205*Weekday/Entre Semana To Addison Transit Center

Look at the link above, and see how you are proven wrong once more! Has a very early schedule to go to Addison.

Second she does not have to take 205 necessarily; She can take the two below and go to Addison;

Route 184 is a local/express runs through Addison-Dallas-Addison, schedule from Dallas is below;

DART.org--Route 184*Weekday/Entre Semana To Frankford & Campbell

Then there is 183 which is a local/express than runs ATC-Dallas-ATC

And guess what wrongace! It also runs from Dallas back to ATC just like all other lines running from Dallas to other places.

Here is the link of the schedule from Dallas;
DART.org--Route 183*Weekday/Entre Semana To Addison Transit Center - Weekday to Addison
DART.org--Route 183*Saturday/Sábado To Addison Transit Center - Saturday to Addison
DART.org--Route 183*Sunday/Domingo To Addison Transit Center - Sunday to Addison

Sorry ace, you have been proven wrong one more time. Please make sure you get your facts straight before talking BS. Does not look good at all.

I think I will start calling you wrongace from now one

Old 12-20-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
Once again, Zatires, you miss the point. I'll sharpen it a bit for you... urban living means you 'want to walk a little bit". And there is a very nice and convenient bridge across the Tollway to the shopping on the other side.

By the way, avoid the cheap apartments in the area. There is a reason they're cheap. They are worn out and the management doesn't do maintenance. Zatires is very, very wrong on that one.

Urban living does not mean "you will want to walk a little bit" at all. If you do think so then you are clueless about urban living. I have lived in an urban living environment for more than 20 years of my life. And not one urban city, multiple urban cities. And i did not have to walk a little bit at all.

No doubt, you have zero clue about what urban actually means, so I am not surprised to get a comment from you like that, which again makes me LMAOROF

If you want to know what urban means, or if you actually have to "walk a little bit" check out some truly urban cities. Visit NYC as a starting point. Whenever I am there I never have to want to walk a little bit. Transportation choices are ample, and can drop me from door to door, without needing a car. That is called true urban living.

Or visit Toronto, Montreal... See European cities and how they are designed. Why would I want to walk a little bit? I may walk to see around, shops etc, but I will not want to walk to pass highway bridges etc.

If I chose to not to walk a little bit, urban environment will provide ample transportation solutions as well.

About the apartments.

You seem to not even read my post wrongace.

I said condos that are for lease. And they are usually in really good shape, and much cheaper than the overpriced units in Addison circle.

I hope you know the difference between condo and apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas