Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 12:57 PM

6 posts, read 23,006 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone ~

We are considering Fairview (Lovejoy ISD) as our new home. We currently live in Plano and are wanting more outdoor space for our three children, as well as wanting a smaller school district. We have read a lot of info re: Lovejoy (good and bad) but the people we know who live there, love it and the schools. Anyone have any info or experience with the Pre AP/AP programs which are only offered at Lovejoy from 6th grade up? How do they compare to Plano's curriculum, which we find to be rigorous?! (We have a third grader and 5th grader, as well as a three-year-old). Our youngest also has possible Asperger's and currently receives fabulous help through the PISD early childhood program. Does Lovejoy have any program(s) in place for special needs kiddos? We are also looking at privates, but that would not resolve our issue with wanting more outdoor space. Thank you in advance for your help!!

Last edited by girlsmom3; 12-20-2008 at 01:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 10:41 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,742,550 times
You might think about Parker or parts of Murphy served by PISD (there are some acreage lots). You'll still get the same services without having to change districts.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:55 PM

161 posts, read 725,343 times
Default Lovejoy Schools - Special Needs/Pre AP

Check out this thread for a bit more info:

//www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...say-about.html

I can say when we were researching school districts, we ended up trying to decide between Lovejoy, Allen and Plano. We planned to live in Allen, which is served by all three school districts (depending on where you live in Allen).

I was initially nervous about Lovejoy ISD as I have an ADHD son, and was concerned about Pre AP classes and a seemingly low budget for special ed.

We ruled out Plano as we were concerned about Williams? high school, but were very impressed by services by Plano ISD offered for kids who need help.

We ended up buying a house in the Allen ISD school district, but am still concerned about the big high school. But so far, so good. I have a 6th grader and a 9th grader.

Since living here, I have met several parents whose kids are in Lovejoy schools, even some who moved to other parts of Allen so their children could attend Lovejoy schools and they all seem to really like it.

One of those parents has an ADHD/dyslexic child and she felt the services at Lovejoy were comparable to Allen.

You are on the right track - do your research, go visit the schools, talk to the principals and counsellors. I even tracked down a coupla moms from PTA's and called them to ask about their experiences.

Good luck........maybe we'll be neighbors!!

Old 12-21-2008, 10:32 PM

Thank you so much! I feel like we have spent so much time researching and talking with other parents - but really, you can't spend enough time. It is such an important decision. We would be leaving a whole family of friends behind and our kids would have to start all over again making new friends in a new community. Plano is wonderful through elementary, but becomes too large, competitive and too much of a melting pot thereafter.. Being a Dallas native, I love the Oakwood community in Fairview - reminds me very much of the neighborhood I grew up in. Private vs. public is always a hard one to weigh, but I do know that each child's needs are very individualized. I think with private, you also don't get that "community feel" since the kids are coming from all over the metroplex. It would be quite nice to lay down some roots in a smaller community. Our choices are private for all of our children (our younger ones eventually, too) or to give Fairview a try. We have even considered HP/UP, but the stress of living down there with the traffic, congestion and lack of "space" would drive us bananas.. How is the commute to/from Fairview to Dallas time wise? Any good privates close to Fairview, too, if we consider doing that for one or more of our kids? Thank you again for your help!!!

Last edited by girlsmom3; 12-21-2008 at 11:16 PM..

Old 12-22-2008, 07:41 AM

4 posts, read 13,111 times
I have a daughter at the high school and she loves the individual attention from the teachers and administrators. The principal knows her name...in a good way! My special needs son was given individual attention and he thrived in the smaller environment. I think some parent out here want the school to "fix" their children. I never expected the school to "fix" my son, but I did expect them to teach, nurture, and challenge him. I was not disappointed. The administration was always very receptive when partnering to implement his 504 accommodations. We did not have the same experience in the Allen school system. Best of luck

Old 12-22-2008, 08:11 AM

161 posts, read 725,343 times
Default Private Schools - north of Plano? Fairview area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlsmom3 View Post
Thank you so much! I feel like we have spent so much time researching and talking with other parents - but really, you can't spend enough time. It is such an important decision. We would be leaving a whole family of friends behind and our kids would have to start all over again making new friends in a new community. Plano is wonderful through elementary, but becomes too large, competitive and too much of a melting pot thereafter.. Being a Dallas native, I love the Oakwood community in Fairview - reminds me very much of the neighborhood I grew up in. Private vs. public is always a hard one to weigh, but I do know that each child's needs are very individualized. I think with private, you also don't get that "community feel" since the kids are coming from all over the metroplex. It would be quite nice to lay down some roots in a smaller community. Our choices are private for all of our children (our younger ones eventually, too) or to give Fairview a try. We have even considered HP/UP, but the stress of living down there with the traffic, congestion and lack of "space" would drive us bananas.. How is the commute to/from Fairview to Dallas time wise? Any good privates close to Fairview, too, if we consider doing that for one or more of our kids? Thank you again for your help!!!
MMMM.....I am not sure that there are many private schools this far north. I also looked into possibly going private with my 9th grader and found the closest private schools were in Plano/Dallas. I believe there might be a few private schools in the north Plano/Frisco area - not positive, though.

There are kids in my neighborhood who go to private schools. In fact, we just met a family who has lived here for over a year (we've been here 9 months). But because these children aren't on the bus nor are their parents at the bus stop, you just don't meet them as quickly as the kids going to public school.

Having said that, there is another family here whose kids were at the public schools last year and are private this year - they have lots of neighborhood friends. Made them before they went private.

I am in a very new neighborhood, with people moving in all the time, so people here seem to want to connect to their neighbors.Someone started a Bookclub, and a Bunco group. We have Friday night driveway parties. Today, we are going to a neighbors to decorate cookies - she just invited everyone from our bus stop

I personally was concerned about moving into an established neighborhood where everyone has already developed their social groups and it would be harder to meet people or have my kids find a new group of friends.

If the areas you are looking at in Fairview are newer, I don't think you'll have much trouble meeting new neighbors, establishing new friendships, finding new friends for your kids Kind of a "We are all in the same boat" atmosphere - new schools, new neighborhoods, transplants from all over. etc...

If you had a chance to read the thread I sent you, the family that posted it were looking in Fairview, but then ended up in UP/HP! They had been in Plano schools as well. You might want to PM her for more info.

Good Luck..........

P.S. Hubby works in Richardson, commute about 15 to 20 minutes. Not sure how long the commute would be into Dallas, but we have friends in the Junius Heights/Lakewood area - it takes me 30 minutes if traffic is not bad. Hope that helps!

Last edited by canuckmom; 12-22-2008 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: grammar/spelling

Old 12-22-2008, 01:32 PM

Thank you all again for your great information.. I read the thread ( I had actually read it before - it is quite long and informative!) I was not able to find the post from the family who moved to HP after considering Fairview, but will go back and try to look for it.. Most of the privates are closer in. I went to several growing up in Dallas. Most of the ones farther north are mostly Evangelical.. I would just want to make sure that our oldest daughter, who would be entering 6th grade next year, would not be completely overwhelmed by the Pre AP program at Lovejoy. She struggles with Math. Anyone have any thoughts on that?? My understanding is that they do help the kids and have a tutorial center.. we'll know more when we go visit the schools after the first of the year. Please keep the information coming!!! Thank you!!

Old 01-19-2009, 08:08 PM

We were very impressed with the Lovejoy schools.. very friendly administration and the schools were beautiful. Teachers and staff were very helpful and seem to love working in the district.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:06 AM

10 posts, read 34,191 times
Lovejoy is not a good school for special needs.
They will not identify children - you must pay for your own testing, then FIGHT administration to get help.
Often if you get legally required modifications, Lovejoy will then just ignore them.
There is a great deal of giving grades to keep parents happy.
Many, many parents of special needs have moved to get out of the district.
I have heard that Richardson has a good rep with special needs.
Hope this helps.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:26 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
StuckinLovejoy--I find your post very disturbing if it is accurate and not just venting--an IEP is a LEGAL requirement--not a suggested course of action a district/admin/teacher is free to incorporate or not as s/he decides...
if what you are saying is truly accurate you need contact TEA and an attorney
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas