Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 11:25 AM

16 posts, read 94,499 times

Advertisements

I would like some real help from people living in Texas. I have 2 jobs to decide from . One of them might be teaching in Seagoville, Dallas. In the other one I might be able to choose the location but it has to be in the Eastern region of Texas (Texas-Mexico border, possibly Brownsville). I have heard that the east region of Dallas is not so good to live and that schools have a lot of problems with hostility and racism. I also have heard and read that the towns in border areas of Texas are hostile and dangerous. Both jobs are well-paid and I really need to work, but I'm worried to take a wrong decision. Would somebody give me more info about these areas? Anyone who lives in Seagoville who can give me REAL info about how is that area and how are High Schools over there? Anyone who lives in the eastern border area who can tell me about how is life over there? Any suggestions of good and quiet places to live in those areas? Any other info that could be useful in terms of relocation is also welcome!!!! I will appreciate any help A LOT!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2007, 01:29 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,762,286 times
I'm from the Rio Grande Valley, Harlingen, about 20 miles north of Brownsville. The Valley is different. It's very low income and Spanish is spoken as much, if not more than English. It's a much slower paced way of life that's for sure. Might be kind of refreshing depending on where your coming from. They have always needed teachers. The schools are not that great but it's really what the student wants to make of it. Those going on to college is not as high as other areas in the country. If I were you I would definitely visit where you are being recruited from. My mom, sister and her family still live in the Valley so I get back there quite frequently. I would say the valley is about 10 years behind the times, although McAllen certainly is in a growth mode as well as Brownsville.

I don't know anything about Seagoville, I'm moving to Dallas myself from FL.

good luck to you

Old 03-04-2007, 04:26 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,432,399 times
West Texas is where the Mexican border is right?

Old 03-04-2007, 12:34 PM

5 posts, read 20,651 times
Default Dont take Brownsville Job

I can tell you that I live in McAllen and and unless you speak spanish( the prefered language here) you won't be happy. I am dying to get out of here just so I can hear english again. I love the milder winters here but summer is in the 100'S starting about April or May and last until OCT or Nov. Jobs for people who can not speak both english and spanish are almost extinct.

Old 03-04-2007, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulf5driver View Post
I'm from the Rio Grande Valley, Harlingen, about 20 miles north of Brownsville. The Valley is different. It's very low income and Spanish is spoken as much, if not more than English. It's a much slower paced way of life that's for sure. Might be kind of refreshing depending on where your coming from. They have always needed teachers. The schools are not that great but it's really what the student wants to make of it. Those going on to college is not as high as other areas in the country. If I were you I would definitely visit where you are being recruited from. My mom, sister and her family still live in the Valley so I get back there quite frequently. I would say the valley is about 10 years behind the times, although McAllen certainly is in a growth mode as well as Brownsville.

I don't know anything about Seagoville, I'm moving to Dallas myself from FL.

good luck to you
Do you know about any place near Brownsville that is, let's say more "up-to-date"? I still have the option to choose from the 2 jobs I've applied for, so I would like to have as much info as I can to make a good decision. Thanx for your reply and help!!!!!

Old 03-04-2007, 02:39 PM

Thank you for your geography class, but I need INFORMATION on the places I'm referring to: Seagoville and Brownsville.

Old 03-04-2007, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yirishrose View Post
I can tell you that I live in McAllen and and unless you speak spanish( the prefered language here) you won't be happy. I am dying to get out of here just so I can hear english again. I love the milder winters here but summer is in the 100'S starting about April or May and last until OCT or Nov. Jobs for people who can not speak both english and spanish are almost extinct.
Wow, is Brownsville really THAT bad? I'm bilingual, so language won't be a barrier in my case, but is there anything good about that place that I might be able to stay some time and then look for other place elsewhere?

Old 03-04-2007, 02:50 PM

Question Anyone from SEAGOVILLE, DALLAS that can give me some info?

I've already asked about information on Brownsville and I've been receiving some answers,but is there anybody from Seagoville who can tell me about the high schools there and the community, is it a good place to live? Where would be the better place to live for a young couple with no kids and a cat?

Old 03-04-2007, 04:11 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BORI17 View Post
I've already asked about information on Brownsville and I've been receiving some answers,but is there anybody from Seagoville who can tell me about the high schools there and the community, is it a good place to live? Where would be the better place to live for a young couple with no kids and a cat?
This would be with the Dallas ISD, right? Work there but DO NOT live there. The DISD pays more than most of the suburban districts and have a better plan for health ins. I know many that work in the DISD and some have worked over there in "the grove". They commuted to work. I know of one teacher that relocated right out of school to Texas down on the border and stayed two years then came to the Dallas area for a job and is still here, married and a family now. No plans to go back. She is biilingual and looked at it as an adventure to do for a few years and that was it. If you want to find something long term then I'd go w/ the job in Seagoville to get in the door and then you can always transfer to other campuses as jobs open up.

Old 03-05-2007, 05:32 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,762,286 times
>> Do you know about any place near Brownsville that is, let's say more "up-to-date"? <<

South Padre Island/Port Isabel is about a 20 mile drive from Brownsville depending on where you would be teaching. From what I remember Hannah high school is on that side of town closer to South Padre. It would be fun to live there - except during spring break time! A lot of wealthy people from Mexico vacation at South Padre during Easter, it gets busy then too. Otherwise, it's a nice beach town area. Lots of fishing and water sports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas