U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 01:48 PM

9 posts, read 33,189 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the Dallas area soon. My office will be in the Galleria area.

We have some flexibility on location because we intend to send our youngest to private school. We just want to keep the work commute to less than 45 minutes. We are targeting the North Dallas area including Flower Mound, Allen, Plano, Richardson, Coppell, Keller, Frisco, etc....

The main thing we want to achieve is to find a safe area with close parks/shopping that is very close to an to an excellent private school (no more than 10-15 minute drive). We are looking for a non-denominational or Baptist private school for our youngest who will be starting Kindergarten. We are looking at homes less than $350K.

Any suggestons on a private school that would also allow us to achieve these other criteria?

I have had 2 other recommendations outside of this forum. Trinity Chrisitian Academy in Allen. Prestonwood Christian School in Plano.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 03:17 PM

264 posts, read 1,133,201 times
All of these are in North Dallas (not the suburbs you mentioned above):

Trinity Christian in Addison
Prince of Peace (Lutheran)
First Baptist is a good school, but is in downtown Dallas
Good Shepherd Episcopal School (in North Dallas)
Scofield Christian School (in Lake Highlands) - my daughter goes to Scofield, and we really love it, but it's in the Lake Highlands area of Dallas, not in the suburbs. Lake Highlands is an area you may be interested in checking out, though. It's close to the Galleria, has homes in your price range, and is close to some private schools as well as has excellent public schools.

Good luck in your search!

Old 12-29-2008, 04:09 PM

6,578 posts, read 24,365,716 times
Is there another Trinity Christian Academy - wow, there's already one in Addison and there's one down south of Dallas. Didn't know there was one in Allen, too. Maybe you mean Addison, not Allen. Anyway, that is a great school, the one in Addison. Prestonwood also has a great reputation. These are very religious conservative large private schools. Both are off the Dallas North Tollway, like the Galleria, just further north. Lots of housing in those parts, too.

If you want an independent private school, don't move too far out because there aren't any out there. Most are in North Dallas.

Frisco has a religious private school - Legacy, maybe, is the name. Richardson has Canyon Creek Christian Academy.

Keller and Coppell are a bit too far away and people live in those parts to attend the public schools. You don't need to be making that commute with so many closer options.

Really, you can't go wrong with Trinity Christian Academy in Addison. Big, established, full every year, up the freeway from your work in a good part of town.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:15 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,262,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Is there another Trinity Christian Academy - wow, there's already one in Addison and there's one down south of Dallas. Didn't know there was one in Allen, too. Maybe you mean Addison, not Allen. Anyway, that is a great school, the one in Addison. Prestonwood also has a great reputation. These are very religious conservative large private schools. Both are off the Dallas North Tollway, like the Galleria, just further north. Lots of housing in those parts, too.

If you want an independent private school, don't move too far out because there aren't any out there. Most are in North Dallas.

Frisco has a religious private school - Legacy, maybe, is the name. Richardson has Canyon Creek Christian Academy.

Keller and Coppell are a bit too far away and people live in those parts to attend the public schools. You don't need to be making that commute with so many closer options.

Really, you can't go wrong with Trinity Christian Academy in Addison. Big, established, full every year, up the freeway from your work in a good part of town.
Ya Trinity Christian Academy is where our kids go and it is wonderful! They love it and so do we! Very well-known and respected here in the DFW area.

Old 12-29-2008, 05:17 PM

709 posts, read 3,325,750 times
Prestonwood Baptist (Plano/Hebron and Park area) is supposed to have a wonderful school as well. Also American Heritage (in Carrollton off of the George Bush) has a good reputation as well. Another school that has always had a good reputation is FUMC in Carrollton's school...CCA??? I can't remember the exact initials. It is located down the street from Prestonwood and is a smaller school. I know teachers at all 3 schools and all are top notch teachers. Also, have friends that send their children to all 3 and they all like the schools their children attend.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:31 PM

587 posts, read 1,544,106 times
In Flower Mound, where I live, the best private schools are Liberty Christian (Liberty Christian School), which is in Argyle, but many from Flower Mound go there. and Coram Deo Academy in Flower Mound (Coram Deo Academy | Private, independent, classical, Texas Christian school. With three campuses in Dallas/Fort Worth). Coram Deo is a very interesting program, kids go part-time (how many days a week depends on age) with almost like a home-school concept on the days off (parent-assisted learning or on their own, depending on age). I know people who are very happy with both schools.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:21 PM

9 posts, read 33,189 times
Thanks for all the great info and the quick replies. Please keep it coming. I also heard some good things about McKinney Christian Academy.

FarNorthDallas: My original post was incorrect....Trinity Chrisitan is in Addison as you posted, not Allen.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:29 PM

1,101 posts, read 4,157,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbun View Post
All of these are in North Dallas (not the suburbs you mentioned above):

Prince of Peace (Lutheran)

Good luck in your search!
Prince of Peace is in Carrollton - Prince of Peace of Peace Lutheran Church & Christian School (http://www.princeofpeace.org/findus/findus.htm - broken link)

Old 12-30-2008, 12:55 PM

6,578 posts, read 24,365,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosaints View Post
Thanks for all the great info and the quick replies. Please keep it coming. I also heard some good things about McKinney Christian Academy.

FarNorthDallas: My original post was incorrect....Trinity Chrisitan is in Addison as you posted, not Allen.
McKinney to Galleria commute is not a short commute. Try it out in rush hour a couple of days before commiting to that drive. Don't know anything about the school, sorry. You might check on the Frisco or McKinney website/message boards.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:09 PM

14,862 posts, read 40,524,165 times
Here are two seperate lists. The first one are private schools that have been around for a good while (some older than ME). I've known many people that have gone to these as kids themselves and/or send their kids to them. The second list are the newer schools that I'm aware of and neither list is in any particular order (just the order in which my brain retrieves the information).

List 1:

Trinity Christian (been around for a LONG TIME - people my age actually went there, yes I'm THAT old)

First Baptist Dallas (yes downtown Dallas). Another school that has been around forever and has a great reputation. Most of the kids that go there do live in the suburbs.

Canyon Creek Christian Academy in Richardson. This one also has been around for a good while. Know many families w/ kids here and all seem to be happy with it.

Dallas Christian on the Mesquite/Garland border. Another long time private school and well liked and regarded.

Prince of Peace in Carrollton. The newest of this bunch.

List 2:

Scofield - had a few friends that sent their kids here.

Legacy in Frisco - this one is pretty new and have a friend that is sending their child here and loving it.

Prestonwood Christian (gosh, and I remember meeting as a Sunday School class when we went here at the old Fretz Park rec center in a bus in the parking lot).

There are a ton more out there. I'd pick up a copy of Dallas Child magazine (free) which can be found at just about any peditrician's office, childrens related stores, etc. In the back they usually advertise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas