Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 12:02 PM

212 posts, read 456,480 times

Advertisements

Try looking at the Montgomery Farms subdivision in Allen. Not necessarily with a lot of mature trees, but may have the style of homes you are looking for. The price may be a bit out of your range though, but its in a very nice area of Allen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 09:46 PM

264 posts, read 1,178,211 times
You may want to check out Old Lake Highlands and the L Streets in Lake Highlands as well. You will find you get more bang for your buck in those areas, and they have the nice treed lots and older homes you are looking for without the expense of Lakewood and M Streets. The L Streets feed into Lake Highlands Elem, Lake Highlands Jr High and Lake Highlands HS, all great schools in Richardson ISD. Old Lake Highlands is in DISD and the schools aren't great (esp. past elementary school), but it is a LOVELY area!

Old 01-03-2009, 10:15 PM

9 posts, read 34,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbun View Post
You may want to check out Old Lake Highlands and the L Streets in Lake Highlands as well. You will find you get more bang for your buck in those areas, and they have the nice treed lots and older homes you are looking for without the expense of Lakewood and M Streets. The L Streets feed into Lake Highlands Elem, Lake Highlands Jr High and Lake Highlands HS, all great schools in Richardson ISD. Old Lake Highlands is in DISD and the schools aren't great (esp. past elementary school), but it is a LOVELY area!
What's the zip code in Old Lake Highlands & Lake Highlands areas?

Old 01-04-2009, 06:53 PM

5 posts, read 25,516 times
Thank you so much the map and for all the responses! We went this weekend and looked and have come to this: We didn't care for Mckinney, or Allen, but loved Frisco/Plano and the M Streets area. Its confusing as to which part is which when you are driving through, but we love the small (3 br) cape cod style houses in that area. The trees are gorgeous also! Lakewoods was very nice also but the houses were a little large for just us two. Bu then again, as I said it was confusing to see whcich part was which!

We want to live around young couples and families, and we saw the most of that on the M streets. Our biggest concern is getting into an old house and having problems as is to be expected. That was the one thing Frisco had over Dallas, newer houses for half the price, half the charm yes, but probably the smart thing for us now.

Frisco was not bad, we have a better chance of both obtaining jobs in that area vs dallas. With all the new schools in the Frisco area, my wife has a better chance to teach with her Alt Cert. I am looking in HR, Managemnt and even Marketing. So many headquarters there, surely I can find something!

I have one more question: What is the differnce in the people living in M Streets/Lakewood etc versus Frisco and Plano?? Which has more young families? Which is better area for starting careers? Which area has less crime overall?

Thanks so much, I appreciate it

Old 01-04-2009, 07:13 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,171,476 times
Speaking of maps, check this crime map for the city of Dallas. You can navigate through the streets on it. City of Dallas Interactive Maps I wish there was such a map for every town. Frisco isn't a member of www.Crimereports.com yet. I sent a request to the Frisco PD to join, it's free to them.

I think Frisco is a lot more family oriented than Lakewood. It is a very typical suburbia town. There are a few neighborhoods that have a lot of trees in Frisco. They would be closer to 121 and built in the 90s.

Also, I know you didn't care for Allen, but there is a neighborhood west of 75 called Twin Creeks that is in the city of Allen. It's a very pretty neighborhood with lots and lots of trees. It doesn't have the cape cod homes you like but it is still very charming.

Naima

Old 01-04-2009, 07:16 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,171,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosaints View Post
What's the zip code in Old Lake Highlands & Lake Highlands areas?
Old Lake Highlants is 75218 and Lake Highlands is 75238 and portions of 75231 & 75243 fall within the area.

Naima

Old 01-04-2009, 09:24 PM

264 posts, read 1,178,211 times
Naima is correct on zip codes.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:24 PM

308 posts, read 1,226,617 times
Well, with your budget you are going to have to make a trade-off.

Here are some pros/cons:

Frisco:

Pros: lower crime, newer cheap houses (I see this as a con), good schools

Cons: Sterile - no character, most chain restaurants and chain stores, geared mainly to families, none if any nightlife, must drive 5+ miles for anything, long commute to Downtown Dallas

Lakewood/M Streets

Pros: Architectual character, everything you could need within a 5 mile radius, mostly locally owned (and very good) restaurants and shops, mixture of young professionals, families and older couples, great nightlife everywhere, commute of Dallas would be against traffic

Cons: Higher crime (although mostly non-violent), poor schools past elementary school (Stonewall & Lakewood are pretty good), more expensive

To sum up, Frisco has better schools and less crime, but is bland and sterile and no place for a young couple unless you have children and plan to stay at home all of the time. M Streets/Lakewood have a much higher quality of life and have a lot more to offer. There is just no comparison.

You really won't find anything other than a fixer for $250k in Lakewood or the M Streets, but look just east of White Rock Lake in Lake Highlands, Old Lake Highlands, and Little Forest Hills. You can find a nice older (1950's) home that has been remodeled for under $250k.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:22 PM

6,642 posts, read 13,853,975 times
Wow I thought I would never agree with Billdfw on his views of the area but I must say I agree with 95% of what he said. I do believe the middle & highschool (Woodrow Wilson) are on par if not better than those offered by Frisco. Other than that he is pretty much spot on.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:52 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,413,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdfw View Post
Well, with your budget you are going to have to make a trade-off.

Here are some pros/cons:

Frisco:

Pros: lower crime, newer cheap houses (I see this as a con), good schools

Cons: Sterile - no character, most chain restaurants and chain stores, geared mainly to families, none if any nightlife, must drive 5+ miles for anything, long commute to Downtown Dallas

Lakewood/M Streets

Pros: Architectual character, everything you could need within a 5 mile radius, mostly locally owned (and very good) restaurants and shops, mixture of young professionals, families and older couples, great nightlife everywhere, commute of Dallas would be against traffic

Cons: Higher crime (although mostly non-violent), poor schools past elementary school (Stonewall & Lakewood are pretty good), more expensive

To sum up, Frisco has better schools and less crime, but is bland and sterile and no place for a young couple unless you have children and plan to stay at home all of the time. M Streets/Lakewood have a much higher quality of life and have a lot more to offer. There is just no comparison.

You really won't find anything other than a fixer for $250k in Lakewood or the M Streets, but look just east of White Rock Lake in Lake Highlands, Old Lake Highlands, and Little Forest Hills. You can find a nice older (1950's) home that has been remodeled for under $250k.
Okay, I agree with everything except the part about having to drive 5 miles for anything and long commutes into Dallas. There are a lot of neighborhoods and areas where you can live and be within 5 miles of stores, restaurants, and Stonebriar mall.

I commute to downtown Dallas everyday from Frisco and I can be at my office from my driveway in about 35 minutes. Some days it can take up to 40 minutes if traffic is bad or the weather is bad. Some people might consider this a long commute, but it really isn't at all. I know people that commute from other cities and suburbs and have a longer commute than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas