Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 05:10 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,252,532 times

Advertisements

I certainly agree with Synopsis about lovely areas of Oak Cliff but I must admit, I get the heebie jeebies whenever I have been in that area.

It's very tragic about the police officer whose 18th anniversary with the force is today. He is the first person in law enforcement to be killed so far this year in the entire United States. How sad but oh, the guy who killed him wasn't the violent type and didn't have a record. Another sorry loon will probably get off free as a bird before long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 07:23 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,510,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcaughron View Post
Blah, blah, blah. Live there or anywhere in the region if you want to, the sane will stay away and let the rodents hopefully kill themselves off. Shalom
Thanks for that insightful and illuminating commentary. You've totally convinced me of how wrong I am. Hopefully the other Oak Cliff supporters on the Dallas forum will also see the error of their ways. Your extensive analysis and exhausting research certainly adds volumes of information to this thread. You must have been on the debate team in high school. Mazel Tov!

Old 01-08-2009, 06:45 PM

35 posts, read 276,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas native View Post
Thanks for that insightful and illuminating commentary. You've totally convinced me of how wrong I am. Hopefully the other Oak Cliff supporters on the Dallas forum will also see the error of their ways. Your extensive analysis and exhausting research certainly adds volumes of information to this thread. You must have been on the debate team in high school. Mazel Tov!
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand if you live in/near the GHETTO, **** rolls downhill. Like I said, I'm not trying to convince YOU to not live there, just naive people who may be moving into the area. -Dueces

Old 01-10-2009, 01:31 AM

27 posts, read 94,328 times
Dallas Native -- Thanks for the info. I grew up in OC also, but didn't realize that KP et al. were not actually part of it. My dad built some big homes in Kessler Park and in the (heyday of the) Keist Park area as well as in the Cedars and in the Westmoreland Heights area (very small baby-boom homes there, near our larger, original farmhouse home). It's funny how we can know so little about whence we come.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkRowPioneer View Post
Dallas Native -- Thanks for the info. I grew up in OC also, but didn't realize that KP et al. were not actually part of it. My dad built some big homes in Kessler Park and in the (heyday of the) Keist Park area as well as in the Cedars and in the Westmoreland Heights area (very small baby-boom homes there, near our larger, original farmhouse home). It's funny how we can know so little about whence we come.
It's true, very little of what most people think of as Oak Cliff was actually in the original city of Oak Cliff. I know this, yet even I have succumbed to referring to a lot of the area as "N. Oak Cliff". It's sort of an "if you can't beat them, join them" mentality. But expanding the boundaries of OC in the public mind to include neighborhoods that are nowhere near the original OC created a slippery slope which, from a PR standpoint, has been bad for Oak Cliff. When a murder happens far away in SE Dallas and the DMN refers to that area as "E. Oak Cliff", the average reader is just going to see the words "Oak Cliff" and come to the conclusion that it is all bad. Fortunately, the stories are not always bad. Especially in the last few years. When "D" Magazine proclaims on the front cover that the hippest restaurant in Dallas is in Oak Cliff (Bolsa), it probably does cause some people to open their minds. And, the annual Old Oak Cliff Tour of Homes every October has probably done more to educate people about the positives of the area than anything else. BTW, Park Row Pionner, I'm sending you a PM.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:52 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,824,652 times
Having just been in the area for the past five years, I was gobsmacked when I found the N. Oak Cliff area quite by accident a couple of years back. All I had ever heard of Oak Cliff was that it should be avoided like the plague. The areas I saw were by far the nicest areas I had seen in all of Dallas and that includes any of what I have seen in Highland Park. The Forest Hills Neighborhood near White Rock Lake is my other favorite accidental "find" (I do like to get in my car and explore).

Someone coming in from the outside should know that it is not terribly far from of the seedier areas of Dallas. But someone considering some of the nicer areas around Northwest Hwy and say Midway, should be aware that it isn't too many intersections west and you are at Bachman Lake/Harry Hines and if someone made a similar thread questioning a move there, I doubt there would be as much negativity pouring forth like I am seeing in this thread.

As an aside, I don't know Dallas like I know Atlanta, but it seems there is less of an urban pioneering spirit to go back into the city and reclaim some of these neighborhoods and return them to their former glory. There seems to be (and I know I am making a vastly broad assumptive statement here) that there is less gentrifying here than what I have seen in Atlanta the past couple of decades. The broader Oak Cliff (whatever its boundaries and definition) seems prime for a turnaround due to location, natural beauty and solid housing stock. It seems (again broad brush in hand, help me if I am wrong) that Dallasites have more of a set mindset on what is a good area and what is not and less of an entreprenurial spirit to reclaim neighborhoods. It is either Park Cities, Preston Hollow, Lakewood or head north up 75 or the tollway.

Thanks Dallas Native, you are one of the better posters I have found on this Dallas thread, excellent, well thought out points. Reps to you!

Old 01-12-2009, 05:44 PM

2 posts, read 4,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modron View Post
had a cow, because of the crime in the area.

Oak Cliff was recommend to me as a place to move to in the Dallas area, because it's supposed to be an arts area and affordable for someone with my income. I was informed that the arts district is about 2 1/2 blocks of mostly closed out store fronts.

Anyone have feedback for this?

I live in another state and, even though he has asked me to move to the Dallas area closer to family, it's entirely possible my brother would undermine any move I try to make. (I know, "family.") So, other people's input is appreciated.
There is a big difference between having "heard" something about an area, and actually knowing, living and visiting the area. Unfortunately there use to be an influx of crime within the
Southern cities (Oak Cliff included), however, now statically, there is an even greater influx of crime in the northern cities. This was during 1984 until about 1990, and many changes have happened since. I have lived in Northern Dallas, Downtown Dallas, and Southern Dallas, and in my personal opinion Southern Dallas is the place to rear and raise children. Southern Dallas homes tend to have far more land for a much lesser price than those in the Northern area. Now if it is your intention to enter the city and elbow rub with the stars, and then yes, move to the Northern sector. However, if you would like to raise a family in neighborhood where people aren't as stressed, many are retired, and you can actually say good morning to your neighbor without having to discuss the "stock quotes" for the day, then it's the south side. Besides that, the area that Bush and Mrs. Bush have chosen to move into is considered southern Dallas, so I guess there is not too much crime in the area. Any city North of LBJ, or 635 is considered Northern cities, and those that are south of LBJ or 635 are considered the southern sector of Dallas. Somehow I feel that there may be some due "Name changes" coming to deal with accommodating the Bush’s and to justify their location as being "North" instead of "South." Please take the time to visit for yourself and test the waters if at all possible.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 01-12-2009, 05:54 PM

2 posts, read 4,276 times
Default Consider the stats instead of opinion

Although I agree with the statement made about the police officer being killed, the thing that we must keep in mind is although he was a great and well respected officer; we are only 12-days into the year. To make a strong statement such as the first to be killed this year is correct, yet again, it's been 12-days, and you may want to consider investigating where this loyal, dedicated, loved, admired and respected officer and his wife lived...the southern sector...so I hate to say that the thought of being concerned about the safety of living in the southern sector should really be re-investigated as well. In fact local statistics show that was a greater increase in crime in the northern than in the southern. If you are looking to "live the simple life" and get the best (which includes exemplary schools, excellent athletic departments, and actual land for your kids to run around) and most for your dollar, consider Desoto, Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I certainly agree with Synopsis about lovely areas of Oak Cliff but I must admit, I get the heebie jeebies whenever I have been in that area.

It's very tragic about the police officer whose 18th anniversary with the force is today. He is the first person in law enforcement to be killed so far this year in the entire United States. How sad but oh, the guy who killed him wasn't the violent type and didn't have a record. Another sorry loon will probably get off free as a bird before long.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastersdegree1 View Post
Besides that, the area that Bush and Mrs. Bush have chosen to move into is considered southern Dallas, so I guess there is not too much crime in the area. Any city North of LBJ, or 635 is considered Northern cities, and those that are south of LBJ or 635 are considered the southern sector of Dallas. Somehow I feel that there may be some due "Name changes" coming to deal with accommodating the Bush’s and to justify their location as being "North" instead of "South." Please take the time to visit for yourself and test the waters if at all possible
From the perspective of someone in a far northern suburb, everything south of LBJ might be considered southern Dallas but people who live in Dallas don't see it that way. The Bushes are moving to Preston Hollow which is definitely North Dallas. Southern Dallas would be everything below I-30.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:29 PM

3,852 posts, read 12,849,434 times
Use google maps street view to see the area for yourself. You'll see most of it is trash. Houses not maintained, grass growing out of control, punk kids walking the streets, trash on the streets. Plus all the other qualities that low lives have.

Quote:
Blah, blah, blah. Live there or anywhere in the region if you want to, the sane will stay away and let the rodents hopefully kill themselves off. Shalom
Yup, most of south dallas is a cess pool. If a tornado hit the place it would be a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas