Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2009, 05:41 PM

23 posts, read 90,571 times

Advertisements

When I visited near Washington DC, the suburbs in virginia is completely different from the ones from Dallas, it's a lot older and way more hilly, and the homes have basements. I haven't ventured out into any other suburbs in the United States but are the suburbs in dallas a typical suburb in the United States?

I live in Frisco, and everything seems to be new, such as homes, shopping areas, schools, etc...

Are there any cities comparable to Dallas when it comes to suburbs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 10:53 PM

162 posts, read 633,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynasty32 View Post
When I visited near Washington DC, the suburbs in virginia is completely different from the ones from Dallas, it's a lot older and way more hilly, and the homes have basements. I haven't ventured out into any other suburbs in the United States but are the suburbs in dallas a typical suburb in the United States?
Keep in mind that the DC suburbs - mainly VA and MD cities - are older than DC itself; they date from the colonial era.

I can't think of any other major metro area that follows that pattern.
That said, the Dallas-Ft. Worth area is *huge* and includes hundreds of suburbs and exurbs. Almost were orginally small outlying farming towns that have been overrun with housing development and retail shopping areas. This is true of cities I've visited all over the US. So yes, I'd say they're typical of many others.
Most Dallas-area suburbs are flatter and more prairie-like than Dallas itself. There are exceptions. Basements are very rare, don't work in our soil here. But there are rolling, wooded pockets of land both within Dallas and in the suburbs and exurbs.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:32 AM

184 posts, read 551,594 times
I have travelled all over the United States and stayed in nearly every major city and too many small to mid-sized cities to count.

As far as suburban areas that resemble Dallas these spring to mind:

Atlanta...nearly identical except for a few exceptions here and there.

Columbus, Ohio...although much smaller and more condensed..less spread out because it is a much small city. But the suburbs look just like Dallas.

Orlando, Florida....except with much more water. The city is littered with ponds and lakes here and thre. Noting impressive, mind you. But there you go.

Belive it or not: Houston,Texas. Their 'burbs are carbon copies of Dallas'.

Come to think of it, so are Austin's. Not the city of Austin itself...you know, with the whole bar and music scene. I'm talking about the surrounding suburbs of Austin. They are just like the ones in Dallas.

Denver, Colorado falls into the same category as Austin. The city proper is totally different than Dallas. But their suburbs are the same.

Charlotte, North Carolina. The only difference is that Charlotte has a significant more amount of trees and general green areas than Dallas. But in almost every other category the suburbs are pretty much the same. ;

Those are the ones I can think of right now. I'm sure there are more I'l think of later.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:20 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynasty32 View Post

I live in Frisco, and everything seems to be new, such as homes, shopping areas, schools, etc...

Are there any cities comparable to Dallas when it comes to suburbs?
I can think of two right off the top of my head, Houston & Atlanta.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:26 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambassador View Post
I have travelled all over the United States and stayed in nearly every major city and too many small to mid-sized cities to count.

Columbus, Ohio...although much smaller and more condensed..less spread out because it is a much small city. But the suburbs look just like Dallas.

Orlando, Florida....except with much more water. The city is littered with ponds and lakes here and thre. Noting impressive, mind you. But there you go.

The Woodlands north of Houston is nothing like any Dallas suburb.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:31 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
The Woodlands north of Houston is nothing like any Dallas suburb.
Woodlands and Kingwood(I know it was annexed by Houston, but it is so far out so I consider it a suburb) are the exceptions and maybe even Sugar Land to a certain extent. Suburbs in Houston have a much more "neighborhood" feel to them than Dallas.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:40 AM

434 posts, read 1,481,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambassador View Post

Come to think of it, so are Austin's. Not the city of Austin itself...you know, with the whole bar and music scene. I'm talking about the surrounding suburbs of Austin. They are just like the ones in Dallas.

Denver, Colorado falls into the same category as Austin. The city proper is totally different than Dallas. But their suburbs are the same.

Charlotte, North Carolina. The only difference is that Charlotte has a significant more amount of trees and general green areas than Dallas. But in almost every other category the suburbs are pretty much the same. ;

Those are the ones I can think of right now. I'm sure there are more I'l think of later.
---

add in palm/cocunut trees and you could say the same about the suburbs of palm beach, ft. lauderdale and miami..

Throw in some huge pine trees and you could say the same about some of the chicago land suburbs as well.

compared to these places Dallas is a real bargain for what you get though.

another good thing about the usa is that there are many places to live and be happy

Old 01-09-2009, 12:49 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,269,365 times
Clear Lake City and Kemah areas have beach water fronts with beautiful mansions. Add that to the list of The Woodlands, Sugarland, and Kingwood. Still a different feel than a typical Dallas suburb. But Houston's suburbs are just as nice as Dallas's with the exception of Baytown and Pasadena.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:33 AM

288 posts, read 1,191,233 times
The land use in newer suburban VA is totally different than in Dallas and the (comparable) cities Ambassador followed up with. The newer single-family construction in NoVA sits on substantially larger plots, oddly much like in New England. The construction type also is similar to NE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas