Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2009, 07:47 AM

54 posts, read 187,764 times

Advertisements

Hi! We're considering a relocation to Dallas; my husband would be working near Children's Medical Center in Dallas a couple days/week, and in Plano the rest of the time. We are young empty-nesters and relatively hip (for being almost 50 years old!) and wouldn't be real excited about a neighborhood with young families. As an interior designer, my home is very important to me.
I'm open to many options-- I would love to live in the city in a trendy neighborhood that is very walkable-- maybe in a townhouse? It looks like there's an uptown area, but we don't want to be the oldest people on the block! We also don't want a "fringy" area, safety-wise. Our housing budget is about $600,000.
Would also consider a single-family home or townhouse outside the city, again in a neighborhood with more "mature" people (not the nursing home set, though!) Have seen Turtle Creek mentioned, but is that all older homes? And how far would it be from Plano?
Have always wanted to live "on the water", but it appears the lakes in the area are too far for the commute. Really don't want the commute to be over 30 mins. Thank you so much for any help and advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 05:13 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,472,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joannewebx View Post
Hi! We're considering a relocation to Dallas; my husband would be working near Children's Medical Center in Dallas a couple days/week, and in Plano the rest of the time. We are young empty-nesters and relatively hip (for being almost 50 years old!) and wouldn't be real excited about a neighborhood with young families. As an interior designer, my home is very important to me.
I'm open to many options-- I would love to live in the city in a trendy neighborhood that is very walkable-- maybe in a townhouse? It looks like there's an uptown area, but we don't want to be the oldest people on the block! We also don't want a "fringy" area, safety-wise. Our housing budget is about $600,000.
Would also consider a single-family home or townhouse outside the city, again in a neighborhood with more "mature" people (not the nursing home set, though!) Have seen Turtle Creek mentioned, but is that all older homes? And how far would it be from Plano?
Have always wanted to live "on the water", but it appears the lakes in the area are too far for the commute. Really don't want the commute to be over 30 mins. Thank you so much for any help and advice!
There's no place in DFW that is very walkable. Near Children's H, Uptown most fits the bill. I've seen many people of diverse age groups there. Dallas is not a giant college campus like BOS or AUS. Turtle Creek is good too, there's everything from old homes to brand new high rise condos. It's not the Upper East Side, but there is a nice strolling path along the creek and shopping areas possibly close enough to walk to. Further up toward Plano is the Preston Hollow neighborhood and the nearby "Park Cities" where the bazillionaires live. A possibility. North of that you get into the cookie cutter young familyville. Plano is all like that, so is Richardson, none of it walkable. Other options may include the West End - a bit south of Uptown and fits the bill for walkable - how sketchy or juvenile I can't say with authority but in the few times I've been there it's been fine. All these are like 5 to 15 minutes to Children's and probably 20 minutes to the Plano border. The only other option I can think of is Lakewood/White Rock . It fits the bill in every category except it is on the east side of Dallas - probably 20 minutes to Children's.

I should mention Plano is fairly big. Depending exactly where in Plano you need to go will vary your commute time. If hubby is going to Baylor or Presby M/C, they are on the west side of Plano, roughly due north of Children's.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:50 PM

Thanks much for your reply! It is so appreciated! We're meeting with a realtor in Dallas in a couple weeks, and I just want to make sure we're looking in the right spots.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:52 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,458,087 times
You might consider a highrise condo, either in Uptown, Victory Park, Turtle Creek or The Shelton which is near Tollway and Northwest Highway, lots of shops within walking distance there.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:42 PM

35 posts, read 276,624 times
Could probably find something decent in university park for 600K. Not gonna be a mansion or the biggest on the block, but some nice. It would be a great location between both sites and is very safe and walkable.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:44 AM

Default Park Cities, Preston Hollow, Knox-Henderson?

Thanks everyone for your help! I think we'll target the Park Cities, Preston Hollow, and Knox-Henderson. A friend said there are new "brownstones" in Knox-Henderson and that sounded really great. We're not looking for a huge place, and like the idea of some type of townhouse. Any thoughts, positive or negative on these areas?

Old 01-09-2009, 08:46 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,861,660 times
All are great areas. The Park Cities (Highland Park & University Park) have their own school district, HPISD. On your budget though your going to be in the smaller, older bungalows that might need some updating or a duplex. Preston Hollow is where "W" is moving to in a few weeks after he leaves DC. They already have a place there and are in the process of getting a security gate installed on the street leading to their location. If you don't mind being in an area zoned for the DISD also check out the areas that are right around Preston Hollow like the Disney streets. Areas right around Royal Lane from Marsh Lane on the west all the way to 75 on the east. Even on the other side of 75 in the Lake Highlands area would be good and in your budget. Knox-Henderson.......... you can walk to CHUY'S........ YUM!!!! Parking in this area is a PITA for those wanting to visit the shops and restaurants so most end up using the valet at the places. But all kinds of great shops and restaurants to walk to from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas