Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2009, 08:01 AM

54 posts, read 186,829 times

Advertisements

Thinking about moving to Dallas and are narrowing down our search to perhaps the above neighborhoods. Would like to be near the side of the city more convenient to Plano (have no idea of the geography! ) We're empty-nesters, with our 2 college kids coming home for summers and would love a safe neighborhood near the city walkable to stores, restaurants, tennis?, & a fitness center, if possible. Budget is about $600,000 and we're not the "McMansion" types-- would rather have a great location, and don't need to worry about school districts. Have heard about brownstones in Knox-Henderson that sound nice...any thoughts on these or these areas? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 10:03 AM

264 posts, read 1,179,915 times
Knox-Henderson, Uptown, and Oak Lawn are the ares that come to mind.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:11 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,674,599 times
Knox-Henderson....... you can walk to CHUY'S Lots of people out walking in this area that live there. Fun area w/ shops and good restaurants. Nice "brownstones" as well and smaller complexes of townhomes/condos/duplexes.

Park Cities (Highland Park & University Park) - on your budget your going to be on the low end of housing in this area. Might be a small older bungalow or duplex. May or may not have been updated. Be forewarned that Mockingbird can and is always (it seems) under construction and can be a HUGE MESS!

Preston Hollow - the home of "W" in a few weeks once he leaves DC. Very nice and sought after area. Has been for decades. Home to Ross Perot, Tom Hicks and several other notables. LOVE this area more than the Park Cities.

I'd also say look just outside of the Preston Hollow area in the Disney street areas and along and off of Royal Lane from Marsh Ln on the west all the way over to 75/Central on the east. Nice homes in a great area. Another sought after area as well. Also anything around these private schools: Hockaday, Ursiline, St. Marks, Jesuit. Well kept sought after areas.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:54 PM

Thanks for your posts! I'll print out the info. and keep it in my file. Appreciate your time!

Old 01-09-2009, 03:32 PM

428 posts, read 1,391,166 times
Knox-Henderson and Uptown are really the only places that you can consider walkable to the ammenities that you pointed out.

Oak Lawn is good too. I go there all the time. How can u describe OL? Its starting to become cool. You can find a very wide range on people on the streets (cool for me but not for most, I love diversity). In a couple of years OL will be as nice as Uptown. Right now is a bit rough on the edges.

Preston Hollow and ParkCities are very urban and safe neighborhoods but not walkable to most things.

Your choices are the first two neighborhoods. You can walk to the gymn, grocery store, take the train, ride bikes on Katy trail, and be in the middle of a nice neighborhood. Best example of urbanism in Dallas.

Welcome to Dallas. Are you George and Laura Bush????!!!

Old 01-09-2009, 07:15 PM

492 posts, read 958,807 times
Google maps and search 75219

For Knox area check the streets Buena Vista, Travis, Cole and McKinney from Haskell north. This runs from Uptown to Knox where they tend to run out of street. There's bunches of townhomes back there. There's some cool looking apartments along Abbott, between Fitzhugh and Knox. Old and probly not what you're looking for. And yeah, plenty of shopping and restaurants.

Henderson is on the other side of 75 and I'm not sure I'd do a lot of walking around there. There is random construction of nice townhomes but not as liveable as OakLawn, Uptown, Knox.

You might check north Oak Lawn (the part between Lemmon and Highland Park). The area south of Lemmon is under the Love Field glide path so conversations are not always continuous. There's lots of new construction in north OakLawn. I highly recommend Hawthorne, Prescott and Herschel streets, from Preston (Oak Lawn Blvd) to Bowser. There's a Whole Foods at Lomo Alto and Lemmon and a walkable neighborhood. Also lots of townhome construction in the Lomo Alto area. This is a mature area, you're likely to find it attractive.

Oak Lawn affords you easy access to the North Toll Way... to Plano.

Last edited by SaladoSam; 01-09-2009 at 07:28 PM..

Old 01-09-2009, 09:44 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,193,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portorro View Post
Knox-Henderson and Uptown are really the only places that you can consider walkable to the ammenities that you pointed out.

Oak Lawn is good too. I go there all the time. How can u describe OL? Its starting to become cool. You can find a very wide range on people on the streets (cool for me but not for most, I love diversity). In a couple of years OL will be as nice as Uptown. Right now is a bit rough on the edges.

Preston Hollow and ParkCities are very urban and safe neighborhoods but not walkable to most things.

Your choices are the first two neighborhoods. You can walk to the gymn, grocery store, take the train, ride bikes on Katy trail, and be in the middle of a nice neighborhood. Best example of urbanism in Dallas.

Welcome to Dallas. Are you George and Laura Bush????!!!
I agree with all the above. There are several new properties under construction (townhomes) in the Knox-Henderson/Uptown area. The best ones will have HOA of about 250 a month. The brownstones are beautiful and most of them have the third floor terrace for BBQs or sunbathing or whatever and enjoying a great view of downtown.

Naima

Old 01-10-2009, 10:03 AM

I am so excited to check out all the areas all of you mentioned above! I wish I could fly down there right this minute, but have to wait to Feb. 7. It's about 22 degrees here in OH right now and we're snowed in; in the midst of a heavy storm. With a heating bill of $816 last month, Dallas is looking better all the time...

Old 01-10-2009, 10:10 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,674,599 times
Well, it is cold here as well this morning. Woke up to 30-something degree weather with a high of 45 for the day expected. Next Thursday is supposed to be even colder........... YUCK! But we are not snowed in and the sun is shinning thru the clouds. I can handle the cold as long as I have sunshine.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:55 AM

308 posts, read 1,228,295 times
I would also check out all of the new high-rises that were recently constructed. I think there were around 10 or so completed in the last couple of years, and I would think you could get a good deal if there are units still for sale, especially for your budget. They are scattered throughout uptown.

Also, you could afford a decent townhome/condo in University Park, which is one of the nicest areas of Dallas, but does not have the same vibe as Uptown or Knox-Henderson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas