Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 01:27 PM

673 posts, read 3,091,122 times

Advertisements

Driving around in all of the highways in North Dallas it sure seems like the President George Bush Turnpike (PGBT) seem to best designed / free flowing highway around here! Usually most of highways (US 75, DNT, 635, etc) are totally clogged during rush hour. However, almost always the traffic on PGBT is moving fast (70 mph+). The other way I drove back from Iriving during 5 pm weekday rush hour, it only took be 20 mins to get from Iriving to NE Richardson on PGBT!!

Also, the PGBT has been designed well since it is newer highway. All lanes are actually 12 ft it seem unlike the 11 ft wide on on US 75. Also it so smooth, hardly feel a bump on it. The interchange with other highways are all nice stack interchange instead of cloverleaf or something else weird. Most of all the exit/intersection are easy and not confusing like some DNT ones.

I have found that to get to place fast, during rush hour espcially its best to take PGBT (if that in right direction). So much more faster and more relaxing drive on it compared to many of other clogged up/poorly designed highways around near. I feel quite lucky to live close to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 01:31 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,629,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
Driving around in all of the highways in North Dallas it sure seems like the President George Bush Turnpike (PGBT) seem to best designed / free flowing highway around here! Usually most of highways (US 75, DNT, 635, etc) are totally clogged during rush hour. However, almost always the traffic on PGBT is moving fast (70 mph+). The other way I drove back from Iriving during 5 pm weekday rush hour, it only took be 20 mins to get from Iriving to NE Richardson on PGBT!!

Also, the PGBT has been designed well since it is newer highway. All lanes are actually 12 ft it seem unlike the 11 ft wide on on US 75. Also it so smooth, hardly feel a bump on it. The interchange with other highways are all nice stack interchange instead of cloverleaf or something else weird. Most of all the exit/intersection are easy and not confusing like some DNT ones.

I have found that to get to place fast, during rush hour espcially its best to take PGBT (if that in right direction). So much more faster and more relaxing drive on it compared to many of other clogged up/poorly designed highways around near. I feel quite lucky to live close to it.

Give it 5-10 years! It'll be a clogged up, pot holed riddled mess! I think the design and look are great to, just saying, at one time LBJ was all the things PGBT is now!

Old 01-10-2009, 02:00 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Give it 10-20 more years and it'll cost you 50 cents a mile to drive on it.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:24 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
They did have a design flaw - maybe it is fixed by now - but there was a rash of cross over head on collisions because ther was no middle barrier to stop cars from crossing into oncoming traffic. Maybe they put a concrete barrier up since those accidents.

Old 01-10-2009, 05:37 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
^^^ Not really. When I take 190 East in the afternoon during rush hour as long as I'm in the far left lane as it approaches 75 I can sail right on by all of the people trying to get off on 75. Last Friday I left Stonebriar Mall at 4:35 and made it to my driveway in 30 minutes going about 65 mph the entire time w/ not a single slow down. It is those that are trying to get off on 75 that have the problem. And yes, the 1 lane thing is a PITA. But it is kind of hard to have more than that since there are no designated lanes to join onto the already PACKED traffic of 75 and the Tollway.

Oh, and same goes for westbound 190 in the morning rush. We can be at the airport in an hour flat or less. Then again we stay to the far left and avoid all of the traffic trying to exit 75 or the Tollway.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:36 AM

468 posts, read 1,887,072 times
"It seems PGBT is the best highway in North Dallas! Traffic moves 70mph+ during rush hour"

Oh was that you who blew past me the other day?! I was trying to keep the speed limit of 60.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:25 PM

65 posts, read 234,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korel View Post
"It seems PGBT is the best highway in North Dallas! Traffic moves 70mph+ during rush hour"

Oh was that you who blew past me the other day?! I was trying to keep the speed limit of 60.
I don't travel on the PGBT very often... but the parts I've been on have been 70mph speed limit.

Maybe only certain parts?

Old 01-13-2009, 08:29 AM

468 posts, read 1,887,072 times
I travel "The Bush" all the time from Hwy 78 to Hwy 183. It only seems that the posted speed limit is 70 mph when everybody else is doing 80. I'll watch next time but I could swear that the whole enchilada is posted at 60.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:56 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
I believe in some areas it is 65mph. I usually go around 65-70 and feel as if I'm getting blown off the road. I just make sure to obey the "slow traffic stay to the right" and ONLY get in the far left lane if I am passing a slower moving vehicle and get right back over ASAP. I also don't jump over in front of someone in the left lane either to pass a slow moving vehicle.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:58 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korel View Post

Naw. It was me.

I love George Bush Tollway, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas