Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 05:17 PM

176 posts, read 541,894 times

Advertisements

I am definatley a Coasts person, but being in the middle for economic reasons I have to say that Dallas voided every steroetype I had coming in. East Dallas/Lakewood is friendly, progressive, tolerant, not overly religious, no big hair..etc.
I was raised on Long Island. My family is pretty much composed of Russian Jewish Immigrants- classic NYers. I was petrified of what Dallas was in my mind. Everything negative I thought simply did not exist. Uptown has a great mix of stores and a historic trolley running through it, there is a nice Arts District as well, - and I can get there by a very short car drive or by train (a few stops down). If you stay in Lakewood you are close to the city proper without the noise and with the trees. You can get anywhere easily- including the suburbs, should you need to go there (I do occasionally for a kids event). The Jefferson complex is in a great location- right next to some great little village shops and restaurants. It is a quiet complex. The apartments are not fantastic in that they claim to have remodled everything, but it is mostly lipstick. If you look closely you will see things like the countertops are refurnished and painted wood, not new formica. That sort of thing. Still, we have renewed our lease and are happy here. The neighborhood is the right distance from every cultural area. The people I have met are cultured, friendly , intelligent... a great place to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 08:05 AM

2 posts, read 4,947 times
I just moved close to downtown and was actively looking around the Lakewood Area myself. I found a couple of good apartment buildings

1) The best near Lakewood - The Winsted at White Rock, its close proximity to the lake makes it an awesome place. The building is in great condition and they have great safety features. Overall, It seemed like a great place to live.

2) Tons of duplexes in the Lakewood area. Arguably some of the friendliest people I've met in Dallas live in this area.

Plus points:
1) White Rock
2) White Rock Dog park (if you have a pet)
3) Proximity to Uptown /Downtown
4) Major highways are close (Hwy 75, Hwy 30, Hwy 45 etc)
5) Tenison Park Golf Course.

I finally moved into a loft in Downtown on Main St., its a lot different than Lakewood, but I totally recommend Downtown if you can find a good deal.

For downtown look at:
1) Third Rail Lofts
2) Davis Building
3) Wilson Building
4) Jefferson at North End (considered Victory park area)
5) 1900 Elm

Let me know if you need any more help. Good luck.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:07 AM

2 posts, read 4,947 times
Ooops didn't read your post on "not being sure about Dallas" Sorry. If you do plan to move, you've got some info to work with

Old 02-03-2009, 11:57 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
Look for the Campagna ads for rentals in The Observer - they are really clued in on Lakewood and East Dallas. Also just go hang out and make friends at one of our restaurants, pubs and coffee or wine bars - or even hang out at the library. Just strike up a conversation and I am sure you will find some help on where to go and what to do.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:06 PM

22 posts, read 60,559 times
Hi Ctrres, I know what you mean but family is also important to me and I don't know anybody in Dallas..and I haven't heard anything about the job so...I feel the Universe is pointing me in another direction. Thanks for the advice though!
Lookingformyhome

Old 02-13-2009, 09:10 PM

Hi Lakewooder, thanks a lot for your info. I wish I knew what to do. I've pretty much decided I'll probably go to California and not TX because I have family in Cali and not TX and I haven't heard anything back about the job I applied to in Dallas. Just when I was getting interested in Lakewood and all of you nice people are replying to my post!!! Also, I've seen some Lakewood pics on this forum and it looks really cozy and quaint and somewhere I would love to live in.....Argh...why does life send us these tests? Anyway, not sure yet what I'm going to do..I'll keep you all posted. Thanks so much for all your tips about the places to hang out at, etc.!!! LFMH

Old 02-13-2009, 09:15 PM

Hi Littlewmn, thanks a lot for your detailed description of Lakewood. It makes me feel a lot better that you are from the East Coast and you are living there in LW and you've liked it a lot so far. Yes, I have some of those fears you had, afraid that I will feel out of place in Dallas. I've never lived in Mid America before, always California, NY (Upstate) and Florida. I also lived in Europe so you can imagine I just want to live in a place I can feel a part of and I can walk around in and find culture and community. Right now I haven't even heard back about the Dallas job so..we'll see what happens...Thank you again! I'll let you know what happens. LFMH

Old 02-13-2009, 09:16 PM

Thank you Lakewooder!!!

Old 02-13-2009, 09:19 PM

Hi Downtownaa, thanks a lot for your tips on cool places to live in LW and Downtown. I've always wanted to live in a loft actually...when I look at the Dallas pics on the forum I can't believe how much cool East Coastish architecture there is...I never imagined it that way. I like what you said about the people in Lakewood being the friendliest you've found in Dallas, that's important for me so that's good to know. Thanks again and I'll let you all know if I do hear anything else about the job...haven't heard back anything yet so I'm beginning to worry. Thanks again!
LFMH

Old 02-16-2009, 01:03 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
Best of Luck to you, lookingformyhome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: