Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 02:02 PM

175 posts, read 404,977 times

Advertisements

Depends on where in Dallas you are talking about;

For example if you go to Cedar Springs or Turtle Creek or Uptown or Downtown you will not worry about "churchy" anything at all. And the people living in there don't give much a crap about religion as well, especially the christianity freaks do not really exist in those locations.

On the other hand if you go to most other locations, yes this city of Dallas metro breeds in church culture. Even though the religious ones will not admit it, but with hypocrisy they will add "no there are not many churches, but what is the matter if there are many"

Some locations are actually worse, especially established mid-to-upper-mid income families pride themselves with churches, meanwhile doing all the stuff that was prohibited by the religion, well that is another issue right.

Go hang out in Southlake, West Plano, Frisco, FW, and ask the families of mid-upper income this question "Who do you want to see in your dinner table?" and you will definitely get the answer "Jesus" included from many respondents.

Is the city churcy? Is the metro churchy? Yes. Plain and simple yes. There are many many churches in many many locations, much more than most cities in east and west coast. But it is what the southern mindset is.

If i am not mistaken, the largest Baptist Church in the country is located in Plano. There is also a huge following base of a church called "Potter's House" if i am not mistaken. 15K people attend services/week. Let's not forget the "Water of Life" church Fellowship Church in Grapevine is also huge. You will see many big churches all around the metro, and so many small ones that you will not actually pay attention to.

Short answer, yes Dallas is churchy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 03:23 PM

6,804 posts, read 14,023,558 times
It's been experience that only older folks ask you what church you attend (over 50). I am AA and lesson number one is to never say anything about a person's pastor. If you do there is a good chance they will berate you. There are a lot of churches in the DFW area I will admit. There has been a few times were I have had to dodge a religous zealot but it I have never seen it as a problem.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:45 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,248,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
It's been experience that only older folks ask you what church you attend (over 50). I am AA and lesson number one is to never say anything about a person's pastor. If you do there is a good chance they will berate you.

Let's just say that I'll never say anything about TD Jakes, Eddie Long or Creflo Dollar with the words "charlatan" or "huckster" out in public EVER again.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:57 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,864,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Let's just say that I'll never say anything about TD Jakes, Eddie Long or Creflo Dollar with the words "charlatan" or "huckster" out in public EVER again.
Forgive me but who are Eddie Long and Creflo Dollar?

Charlatan... huckster......... nah, we say it too. We even call some of the bigger churches a "baptidome" and I'm Baptist. We CAN make fun of ourselves.

At least Word of Faith is no longer around, whew. Bad image that portrayed.

As for the Turtle Creek area. There is one of THE largest churches for gays in that area. It is HUGE!!! Huge following as well. Another gay church out in Carrollton right next to a Baptist church and they are friendly to one another and even let each other borrow facilities if needed (that may sound bad........ just realized it. ooops ).

Actually, the LARGEST Baptist church is IN California. Saddleback Baptist pastored by Rick Warren.

The SECOND LARGEST is IN Florida. First Baptist Jacksonville.

Both of those blow Prestonwood Baptist out of the water. Potters House is non-denominational.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:15 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,236,659 times
And musn't overlook the fact that going to church in any city is quite often a 'business decision' or at least a 'social move.' Church is a good place to make business and social contacts - somewhere you can either choose or be chosen for whatever is important or beneficial to you and your family.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleTX View Post
And musn't overlook the fact that going to church in any city is quite often a 'business decision' or at least a 'social move.' Church is a good place to make business and social contacts - somewhere you can either choose or be chosen for whatever is important or beneficial to you and your family.
Tell that to the people living in NYC
I don't think they will necessarily agree with that statement, or the people of SF, LA (the media section), or Dearborn MI, or Arcadia etc.

Either it is extremely generalization or ignorance to state "in any city going to church is a social move".

Old 01-14-2009, 06:50 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,459,410 times
I didn't realize how conservative religious Texas was until I moved out of it for a couple of years in my 20s. I just thought it was normal, only come to find out other places are not conservative religious. Since I am personally not conservative or religious I think I tend to notice it.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:18 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,855,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zatires View Post
Tell that to the people living in NYC
I don't think they will necessarily agree with that statement, or the people of SF, LA (the media section), or Dearborn MI, or Arcadia etc.

Either it is extremely generalization or ignorance to state "in any city going to church is a social move".
But the question on the table is about Dallas, and yes, in Dallas as well as in much of the bible belt, church membership and attendance is often seen as a buisness/social/political necessity.

As one whose Christian faith and church life are foundational tenets, I don't care for this aspect of bible belt mentality. The lukewarm, Christian-only-on-Sunday attitude irks me more than atheists or fanatics.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:06 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,066,985 times
Does anyone not see the correlation between the religiosity of places such as Texas and their economic vitality?

Does anyone not see the correlation between the irreligious aspects of places like SF and their economic collapse, housing deflation, and scarcity of goods and services?

If your intent is to migrate to, or live in, Texas, because of its wealth, low prices, career prospects, and excellent economy, you have to realize how Texas got into that condition. It is a direct consequence of its religious behavior and traditions.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
Does anyone not see the correlation between the religiosity of places such as Texas and their economic vitality?

Does anyone not see the correlation between the irreligious aspects of places like SF and their economic collapse, housing deflation, and scarcity of goods and services?

If your intent is to migrate to, or live in, Texas, because of its wealth, low prices, career prospects, and excellent economy, you have to realize how Texas got into that condition. It is a direct consequence of its religious behavior and traditions.
Speaking of the devil;
Nortel Files for Bankruptcy - BusinessWeek

And I would call the above statement baloney, because there are religious states that are in the worst poverty conditions of the USA.

Religious states that are more conservative than Texas but poorer;
Oklahoma
Alabama
Mississippi
Louisiana
Arkansas
West Virginia
South Carolina

So we can conclude that religious states are not necessarily rich states. Bad argument, bad bad bad argument

Heck per household income Texas is number 29 in the USA. There are 28 states that have richer households than TX. So much for that being religious and being wealthy argument.... Actually what reality is; The states that are not religious are the ones that have the highest household incomes

Household income in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And if anybody thinks that Texas is immune to the economic crises that is going on right now should actually take his/her head out of the sand and look around.

Telecom/IT sector is in ruins, and Texas has a lot of it. Oil and gas sector is in a halt and Texas has a lot of it. Farming and agriculture was doing OK, but now they are expected to see the downturn as well, and Texas has a lot of it. Did you guys hear about the $150 tax per cattle head that may be proposed soon? Well wonder what that would do to the cattle industry in TX.

Anybody who says TX is immune to the economic crises does need to get out more and actually find out what is really going on in the real world. Many companies in DFW area have been on a hiring freeze, and many are currently laying off people left and right.

Just today Nortel declared Chapter 11
Yesterday Neiman Marcus stated they will layoff 400 people to start with, and expect more to come.
Nortel will affect many companies located in TX to be in ruins, such as a major employer Flextronics in Richardson.
The list can go on forever...

Only if people can see the reality...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas