Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 08:01 AM

686 posts, read 2,436,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligurltotx View Post
After watching Househunters on HGTV I wanna add to my likes AFFORDABLE HOUSING!! The couple was looking at a 2bdrm/1bath 631 sq ft SFR for $410,000 in a suburb just outside of downtown L.A. Maybe they announced the sq footage incorrectly. In all my yrs living there I never saw a home that small called a SFR!
I saw that last night! I really couldn't believe the prices of those tiny houses they were looking at!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 08:28 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,376,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub2447 View Post
Also, a couple people have mentioned "Dallitude". Can someone please clearly define this? I must have missed it in my researching here. Is Dallas stuck up, or something?
Well, can one really define the attitude of an entire city of over 1.2 million individuals? Yeah, everyone within Dallas' city limits lives in a McMansion has a new Mercedes Benz and takes their kids to elite prep schools.

I was raised near Ft Worth and have lived in the Metroplex near Dallas most of my Thirtysomething years and have never seen the term Dallitude till I came to this board.

Someone in Austin looked at me stuck up... Austintude.

Hey, someone in Houston was driving a new BMW and appeared conceited... Houstontude.

Wait a minute; someone in San Antonio was wearing Gucci walking like a snob... San Antoniotude.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:44 AM

81 posts, read 232,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerfield View Post
Well, can one really define the attitude of an entire city of over 1.2 million individuals? Yeah, everyone within Dallas' city limits lives in a McMansion has a new Mercedes Benz and takes their kids to elite prep schools.

I was raised near Ft Worth and have lived in the Metroplex near Dallas most of my Thirtysomething years and have never seen the term Dallitude till I came to this board.

Someone in Austin looked at me stuck up... Austintude.

Hey, someone in Houston was driving a new BMW and appeared conceited... Houstontude.

Wait a minute; someone in San Antonio was wearing Gucci walking like a snob... San Antoniotude.
Right on. Everywhere you go, you'll run into those types. Everywhere you go, you'll meet people you like and dislike. Nowhere can be everything to everyone.

I was just wondering if I was missing something more specific. Thanks for clearing that up.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:33 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub2447 View Post
Someone noted the lack of lakes/recreation areas. In looking at the Google map of the area, there seems to be a decent amount of big lakes around DFW. Do they just not have recreation areas set up at those other lakes? Or, is traffic so horrible there, people just don't want to drive to other parts of the metroplex? I'm not trying to be smart, I'm just not from the area, so I have no clue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
There are plenty of lakes with lots of shoreline and state and local parks on them. Plenty of beaches. The poster who said there were no lakes was just ignorant of what dfw has. also, some people discount the value of lakes because they're used to an ocean. Good luck if you want to buy a beachfront house in a major Florida or California city.

Yes, there are PLENTY of rec areas INCLUDING MANY lakes around the DFW area. Yes, they are MAN MADE lakes but they have the SAME WATER that a natural lake has . Some might be an hour or so drive away but they are accessible and pretty easy to get to. We have a lakehouse that is about 65 miles from our house. We can be there on a holiday weekend in about 1 hour. All of our friends come down for the day and hangout, play in the water, boat, pwc's, etc. You will find that a lot of the natives to this area usually have a second home somewhere. It might be on a lake 1-4 hours away, a farm/ranch, near a lake, out in the country, etc.

If you want something much closer to Dallas and don't have to buy or get invited for outdoor rec sports there are several and just depends on your interests. Cedar Hill State Park, Great Trinity Forest, Spring Creek Nature Preserve (in the middle of the burbs w/ development all around but feels like a million miles away while along the creek), the state park out at Lake Tawakoni, etc. It IS there you just have to leave your hood to get to it

Old 01-20-2009, 11:27 AM

288 posts, read 1,191,565 times
I wouldn't call public transportation in Toronto all that great. Its walkable density near the core makes up for it.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:03 PM

175 posts, read 405,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrres View Post
I wouldn't call public transportation in Toronto all that great. Its walkable density near the core makes up for it.

Where did this come from?

Toronto has the second largest public transport system in North America. It is just behind NY.

Stating Toronto public transport system is not great is like saying NY public transport is not great. Daily ridership in Toronto is 2.5 million trips, and this is for a city with a population of 5.5 million residents.

With the stats, the public transport in Toronto is not only great, it is beyond that.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:49 PM

669 posts, read 1,612,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterymachinebl View Post
I saw that last night! I really couldn't believe the prices of those tiny houses they were looking at!
Ya, pretty crazy eh? And that's with a 25% drop in prices recently. I think people are generally amazed when they see the Bang for their buck in Texas. If you come from either coast and have a family to raise... it sure is tempting!

Old 01-20-2009, 05:00 PM

288 posts, read 1,191,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zatires View Post

Where did this come from?
Er, from post #5?

All right, so they've got 2 heavy rail lines, one of them kind of makes a u-turn at the lake. Neither one of them goes to the airport. Maybe two surface trolleys running east/west. Just doing this from memory.

---
Updated:
Oh. It looks like they added a line to Don Mills. Still, does this compare to DC, or SF?

It's a nice system.

Last edited by ctrres; 01-20-2009 at 05:36 PM..

Old 01-22-2009, 02:21 PM

206 posts, read 1,013,616 times
Well my likes in Dallas:

1. Less traffic.
2. No snow.
3. Plenty of sunny days.
4. Cost of living.
5. Public transportation system.

and the best part of them all the DISLIKES:

1. not such as events and cultural activities
2. Limited activites for children to do, go in the Dallas Area not the 'burbs
3. Illegal immigrants can come and open up a business but if Americans try to YEAH RIGHT!
4. as far as nightlife goes ---clubs never stay around long
5. Punishments for crimes are much harsher.
6. Bush will be relocating there. ( I know it was only supposed be 5 but I had to throw that in)

Old 01-22-2009, 06:16 PM

587 posts, read 1,625,376 times
BEST:
1. low cost of living
2. weather/sunny days - fall, winter, summer
3. plenty of things to do, restaurants, activities for all family members
4. good public schools available if you pick the right place to live
5. family-oriented

WORST:
1. materialism/"keeping up with the Jones' attitude"
2. focus on external appearance - clothes, make-up, etc. (my 13 y.o. asked me when I am going to take her to get her eyebrows waxed!! I told her to start saving her money and let me know when she wants to spend HER money on eyebrow waxing!!!)
3. competitiveness - everyone wants their kid to be "the best" at whatever they do (esp. sports), which makes the kids feel like they HAVE to be the best and disappointed with themselves when they're not. Or if the kids somehow have their heads really together and see how ridiculous this is, it just pisses them them off and makes them think their parents are jerks.
4. not enough preserved spaces - parks, old-growth trees, etc.
5. the heat in summer

Overall, I like Dallas. Every place has it's good and bad points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas