Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 11:21 AM

7 posts, read 27,173 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We might be moving to the Dallas area in a few months if I land the job I've applied for, and we're coming to scope out neighborhoods and see if it would be a good fit for us as a family. We want great schools, safe neighborhoods, and a nice large home with a big yard for the kids. We're coming from Chicago and are liberal, and are worried that moving to the suburbs, where we've heard good education and newer construction homes can be found, will mean moving somewhere ultra-conservative. Any tips for either
1) liberal upscale neighborhoods in Dallas itself?
2) what about Sunnyvale? Isn't their school system great?
3) any northern suburbs that would be appropriate?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 11:28 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,481,511 times
Lakewood is liberal (although a sprinkling of conservatives); zip code 75214.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:38 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,205 times
You're going to find liberals and conservatives mixed all over town. Just depends on with whom you choose to spend your quality time.

Just about any neighborhood between Tx114 and US75, from downtown north will be suitable. Include Lakewood which is near White Rock Lake in your search. Exclude the area near to and just north of Love Field. Inwood is a good place to start.

Conservatives won't be a problem unless you're running nekkid through the streets of Highland Park. In that case, bring beer.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:55 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,517,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagourmande View Post
Hi,
We might be moving to the Dallas area in a few months if I land the job I've applied for, and we're coming to scope out neighborhoods and see if it would be a good fit for us as a family. We want great schools, safe neighborhoods, and a nice large home with a big yard for the kids. We're coming from Chicago and are liberal, and are worried that moving to the suburbs, where we've heard good education and newer construction homes can be found, will mean moving somewhere ultra-conservative. Any tips for either
1) liberal upscale neighborhoods in Dallas itself?
2) what about Sunnyvale? Isn't their school system great?
3) any northern suburbs that would be appropriate?

Thanks!
The city of Dallas voted 66% for Obama, so finding moderate to liberal thinkers here will not be an issue. Lakewood, the "M" Streets, Kessler Park, Bluffview are a few of the upscale 'hoods that are worth looking at. Finding good public schools in the city of Dallas is the bigger issue. If you can pony up for private schools, then I definitely recommend living in the city. The Park Cities (Highland Park & University Park) are island cities surrounded by Dallas and they have their own excellent school district. However, HP & UP are not bastions of liberalism. Others can address your questions about Sunnyvale and the northern burbs.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:02 PM

308 posts, read 1,232,304 times
I would not call Lakewood conservative. It is a fairly affluent area, and affluence leans conservative. Although it has a good mix of people.Most nicer areas within Dallas will be conservative. I would check out Lakewood/Mstreets, Preston Hollow, and the Park Cities. Dallas public schools are horrible (with a few exceptiosn), so you will have to send your kids to private school if you want to live in Dallas - the Park Cities have their own school district and are some of the best in the country, but you need about $1M for an average house.The other alternative is to move out to the burbs which have the best public schools, but are a bland and sterile place to live.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:31 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
I see this type of post so often and I'm tired of biting my tongue. Are we really basing where we live on the political climate of the area? My wife and I are just slightly left of center and we live in a town and a neighborhood chock full of hardcore conservative folks. We know their proclivities, they know ours and it's no big deal.

How can you honestly have a discourse on a topic when everyone agrees with you? The best solutions come out of working through differences. Imagine how boring a debate would be if both sides agreed on the same position. Live a little.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:36 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,872,645 times
Look at a vote map of the last election, and stick to the precincts where it was blue. Many parts of Dallas are still heavily Republican, and almost all of Tarrant County is, too.

Sunnyvales will likely be heavily conservative...

Old 01-16-2009, 12:40 PM

91 posts, read 329,689 times
Just don't talk to your neighbors and you can live wherever you want.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:52 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdfw View Post
Just don't talk to your neighbors and you can live wherever you want.
Yeah. Like I said, it's where/how you spend your quality time.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:17 PM

6,819 posts, read 14,032,189 times
I don't think you will find any area in DFW that 90% liberal. Even Highland Park/Park cities is split about 70/30. The more important question is what part of town will you be living in and what is your budget. We could greatly narrow your options based on your options. Sunnyvale is like a upscale Mesquite. The kids of Sunnyvale attended schools in Mesquite until recently. Sunnyvale has now opened all new schools and they are highly rated. You must understand that the schools will be very small which is good for student/teacher ratios but not so good for things like band, football and other activities. My guess is that it will have more of a private school feel due to the limited student enrollment. I believe the new highschool will be a 3A school. Please provide a little more information to get a better answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas