Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 03:07 PM

308 posts, read 1,232,378 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't say Uptown is geared towards families, but it is a great place to live. Your children will certainly have a different (maybe even better) experience growing up.

Why don't you move into Uptown and rent for a year or two to see if it is right for you. That would give you some time to decide if you want to stay there or move over right across the highway to the M Streets / Lakewood area, where you can get a house vs. a condo.

Also, as far as budget goes, Uptown is generally more expensive per square foot than M Streets / Lakewood, so you will not find any better deals based on square footage & bedrooms, in contrast, it will probably be more expensive. But all of the decent areas in Dallas are relatively expensive. If you have a limited budget, you may want to check the northern suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 05:03 PM

126 posts, read 443,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpTownLiveWell View Post
Uptown is a great place to live for any family, my wife, kid and I picked uptown to take up root,because it is the life style that we love, it might not fit everyone life style, however I believed it is modern one. I will pick a typical day in our life style and share it with you, and perhaps convince you to move there (: Saturday morning, we all walk to the Original House of Pancake( or Bread Winner ) have a great breakfast catch up and see how everyone is doing during the weekdays. After, some great pancake and nice coffee we stroll to Border Book store and check out some new books. My kid love the kid's section in the second floor so we spent about two hours there. Afterward walk to Pacugio and get some Ice cream. Take the M-line trolley( it is free) to downtown visit the DMA and check out new developments in the art district. Take the trolley back home and stop at Blockbuster and pick up Wall E for a blockbuster night. And Sunday will be tennis or soccer at the near by Cole Park, and Campagna pizza or Village Burger for dinner. All and all we do not do this every weekend, however, uptown provide a enviroment that I can introduce to my kid to the joy of walking, active life style( the Katty Trail, Cole park, Arlington Park ...), culture, arts, great place to eat, Border books( this our favorite place, it is like we have our own library), Dallas theater, and off course for my wife shopping, all of these are making endless of combination for any great day. Off course, with all that we enjoy we do not have huge yard, a big swimming pool and a big SUV to get around. It is the environment of uptown and the interaction of my family that I think make our family live well, after uptown we cannot see our selft moving back to the suburd.

This is so nice to hear. Your Saturdays sound a bit like ours so it's nice to know that some families are making Uptown work. We may just take BillDFW's advice and rent in Uptown or Turtle Creek for a year and decide if it's the place for us. I'm actually getting more excited now. Walking to restaurants, bookstores and shops and taking a train/trolley to museums is really appealing to us. Thanks again for sharing your experience -- it helped a lot.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:01 AM

2 posts, read 4,295 times
MSPMom, U are welcome, I hope you and your family will enjoy uptown living, I believe Uptown will server You and your family well and will expose your children to more cultures and an active life style.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:22 AM

35 posts, read 175,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpTownLiveWell View Post
Uptown is a great place to live for any family, my wife, kid and I picked uptown to take up root,because it is the life style that we love, it might not fit everyone life style, however I believed it is modern one. I will pick a typical day in our life style and share it with you, and perhaps convince you to move there (: Saturday morning, we all walk to the Original House of Pancake( or Bread Winner ) have a great breakfast catch up and see how everyone is doing during the weekdays. After, some great pancake and nice coffee we stroll to Border Book store and check out some new books. My kid love the kid's section in the second floor so we spent about two hours there. Afterward walk to Pacugio and get some Ice cream. Take the M-line trolley( it is free) to downtown visit the DMA and check out new developments in the art district. Take the trolley back home and stop at Blockbuster and pick up Wall E for a blockbuster night. And Sunday will be tennis or soccer at the near by Cole Park, and Campagna pizza or Village Burger for dinner. All and all we do not do this every weekend, however, uptown provide a enviroment that I can introduce to my kid to the joy of walking, active life style( the Katty Trail, Cole park, Arlington Park ...), culture, arts, great place to eat, Border books( this our favorite place, it is like we have our own library), Dallas theater, and off course for my wife shopping, all of these are making endless of combination for any great day. Off course, with all that we enjoy we do not have huge yard, a big swimming pool and a big SUV to get around. It is the environment of uptown and the interaction of my family that I think make our family live well, after uptown we cannot see our selft moving back to the suburd.
I'd like to add that I visited this Borders with my 3 and 6 year olds one weekday last week about 4 pm. They were the only kids in the store. We sat in the cafe and got continous stares giving me the feeling that people did not welcome the children's presence. They were being well behaved that day, and were just a little louder than an adult would be in a bookstore. It was not what I would call kid friendly by any means. I consider a place kid friendly if I see a lot of kids around. I don't oppose raising kids in an urban setting. I'd recommend renting someplace in the M-streets. They are plenty urban with things to walk and see, and there are millions of little ones over there.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:01 PM

308 posts, read 1,232,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertexan View Post
I'd like to add that I visited this Borders with my 3 and 6 year olds one weekday last week about 4 pm. They were the only kids in the store. We sat in the cafe and got continous stares giving me the feeling that people did not welcome the children's presence. They were being well behaved that day, and were just a little louder than an adult would be in a bookstore. It was not what I would call kid friendly by any means. I consider a place kid friendly if I see a lot of kids around. I don't oppose raising kids in an urban setting. I'd recommend renting someplace in the M-streets. They are plenty urban with things to walk and see, and there are millions of little ones over there.

Sorry, but it sounds like your children were being loud and/or misbehaving. It is a bookstore, not a children's playground. And you can't infer this one experience that the entire portion of a city is against children. Doesn't make sense.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:27 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,482,354 times
That kinda sounds like an isolated incident. I prefer the West Vil Borders over the Lovers Ln store - people are more helpful, etc. I haven't gotten a bad vibe due to my 5 and 15 yr old hanging around there.

Friends of mine lived in West Vil and liked it - walk to restaurants, hit golf balls across the street. Their kids were 9 and 12 at the time...they never compained about it. They just needed a bigger space and bought a house.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:47 PM

126 posts, read 443,511 times
Default What about safety?

For those of you who have lived in Uptown -- or have friends there -- how safe is the area? I keep hearing that it's generally safe, but has a fair amount of petty vandalism (car break-ins) and the occasional apartment break-in. This makes me a bit nervous with little kids. I do love some of the townhomes I've seen though...

We'll be taking more drives through Uptown and Lakewood/M Streets. I drove from Far North Dallas to Oak Lawn during rush hour today and the traffic heading north was frightening. So Far North Dallas may be coming off the list...I guess I'm not a very patient person when it comes to traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas