Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 08:09 PM

126 posts, read 443,456 times

Advertisements

After many months, we're still undecided on where to live in Dallas. We love Lakewood and Lake Highlands but can't quite find the type of home we like (at the right price). We want to stay fairly close to the city and wouldn't mind a walkable area like Uptown. Anyone have experience living there with young children? Know of any friends who have lived there with kids? Our daughters are young and will go to private school in a few years, so the school district isn't a huge deal.

Is it a crazy idea to live in Uptown with little kiddos because it's such a busy, popular area? We would have no problems living in this type of area in other cities where we've lived in the past (Minneapolis, Seattle, NY, etc) but I'm not sure if it makes sense here in Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 10:12 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,517,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPMom View Post
After many months, we're still undecided on where to live in Dallas. We love Lakewood and Lake Highlands but can't quite find the type of home we like (at the right price). We want to stay fairly close to the city and wouldn't mind a walkable area like Uptown. Anyone have experience living there with young children? Know of any friends who have lived there with kids? Our daughters are young and will go to private school in a few years, so the school district isn't a huge deal.

Is it a crazy idea to live in Uptown with little kiddos because it's such a busy, popular area? We would have no problems living in this type of area in other cities where we've lived in the past (Minneapolis, Seattle, NY, etc) but I'm not sure if it makes sense here in Dallas.
Well if paying for private school is not an issue, I definitely recommend living in the more urban parts of Dallas. However, I think your kids might be a little lonely in Uptown since it is not a hub for children. There are lots of 'hoods in the city of Dallas in which there would be more children. The "M" streets (Stonewall Jackson elementary) might be a place to look. What size house and what price range are you seeking?

Old 01-16-2009, 11:20 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,212,329 times
I wouldn't recommend Uptown for families. If you got the $$ than Highland or University Park would be better, but its very expensive. Also Uptown is mostly condos, I think children would have a better time in real house with a decent size yard to play.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:48 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,463,955 times
Dallas Morning News ran an article about a family who bought a condo in the W in Victory Park/Uptown (it's a highrise). They had 2 young girls in private school. So, maybe there is a trend for that. I would not say it's common now though. I think it would be nice to have more families in those parts. Plenty of kids grow up in New York City just fine without a yard to play in.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:50 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,205 times
If UpTown is the lifestyle you're looking for you might try State/Thomas. I agree that you might not find many other children in the UpTown area but there's no real need to make sense of something that doesn't really matter.

State/Thomas is near the end of McKinney, next to downtown, two streets, State and Thomas, plus some others. There's a large number of townhomes and condos down there and is nicely developed. There's a WalMart Grocery on the west side of US75, just south of the CityPlace , metro exit. The street on the south side of that WalMart is Hall. The Emanu-El Cemetery is behind that WalMart. From Hall going south is State/Thomas.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:32 PM

Thanks all. We realize there won't be a ton of kids around but we might be ok with that for a couple of years since our daughters are so young right now. Basically, we've looked at homes in Lakewood and M Streets, but we're not willing to spend $500K on a 3 BR tudor and the larger homes we like seem to always cost around $700K. We're a bit picky, but honestly, the homes in the desirable parts of Dallas are just expensive overall. Given the slow appreciation in this market, we're trying not to overspend at this point. And coming from the midwest, the yards here are incredibly small. So it doesn't feel like you're getting much land with your house. This is why we're exploring townhomes -- to see if the convenience and fun area may be worth it for a little while. Maybe not. We're also looking at Far North Dallas (Bent Tree North, Oakdale, etc) in case we see something reasonable with a decent sized yard. I wish this weren't so hard...

I appreciate the feedback.

Old 01-18-2009, 03:08 PM

202 posts, read 568,057 times
Default We lived in Turtle Creek with our child and we loved it

if I could have that condo back now I would take it - it was delightful to be able to walk up to the water and have lunch there when you wanted - also having all those fabulous restaurants next to us was great. We decided to move to Frisco when he got older and I loved that also but who needs the maintenance - between the pool and garden it was crazy. Everyone trying to keep up with the Joneses -
Now I am here in Pa and I love the place but now we have to rake leaves take down dead trees - clear snow - keep the wood burning stove going -

If you can afford a private school stay in uptown and look at a condo with a fabulous garden - pool, gym etc.... You have everything on your doorstep - and can keep life simple at the same time.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sausages View Post
if I could have that condo back now I would take it - it was delightful to be able to walk up to the water and have lunch there when you wanted - also having all those fabulous restaurants next to us was great. We decided to move to Frisco when he got older and I loved that also but who needs the maintenance - between the pool and garden it was crazy. Everyone trying to keep up with the Joneses -
Now I am here in Pa and I love the place but now we have to rake leaves take down dead trees - clear snow - keep the wood burning stove going -

If you can afford a private school stay in uptown and look at a condo with a fabulous garden - pool, gym etc.... You have everything on your doorstep - and can keep life simple at the same time.
This is great to hear -- makes me feel a little less crazy for considering an urban area for my family. We love the Turtle Creek area and currently have one child in a great childcare center in Oak Lawn. It sounds like condos offer a bit more convenience than townhomes because of the extras like pools, fitness centers, etc? I just wonder if any would be big enough for a family of four.

Were there any particular buildings on Turtle Creek that you liked and would recommend? Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:30 AM

202 posts, read 568,057 times
Wink we lived in one of the original buildings 3883 Turtle Creek

It was done up when we left and was lovely - it has fabulous gardens with a fabulous view of Dallas and even if you are on the other side of the building the view is lovely. We had 3 condos in that building and bought them at a reasonable price unlike the rest of the new towers there now. There were some other people with kids in the building but not many but everyone loved our little boy and we always had babysitters avaiable to us - It was nice to go walking everyday and hubby and I worked downtown so it was great no traffic unlike our commute to Frisco when we moved. We had our wedding reception downstairs and had many of the residents invited over to it.

Years ago they had a really bad managment team but we all voted to get rid of them and everything was great. The elderely people there were great to our son. we lived on the 22nd floor and loved it. Imiss those days very much. Most of the condos have been refurbished. I loved the reception area and lobby and security was great. Good luck.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:01 PM

2 posts, read 4,294 times
Uptown is a great place to live for any family, my wife, kid and I picked uptown to take up root,because it is the life style that we love, it might not fit everyone life style, however I believed it is modern one. I will pick a typical day in our life style and share it with you, and perhaps convince you to move there (: Saturday morning, we all walk to the Original House of Pancake( or Bread Winner ) have a great breakfast catch up and see how everyone is doing during the weekdays. After, some great pancake and nice coffee we stroll to Border Book store and check out some new books. My kid love the kid's section in the second floor so we spent about two hours there. Afterward walk to Pacugio and get some Ice cream. Take the M-line trolley( it is free) to downtown visit the DMA and check out new developments in the art district. Take the trolley back home and stop at Blockbuster and pick up Wall E for a blockbuster night. And Sunday will be tennis or soccer at the near by Cole Park, and Campagna pizza or Village Burger for dinner. All and all we do not do this every weekend, however, uptown provide a enviroment that I can introduce to my kid to the joy of walking, active life style( the Katty Trail, Cole park, Arlington Park ...), culture, arts, great place to eat, Border books( this our favorite place, it is like we have our own library), Dallas theater, and off course for my wife shopping, all of these are making endless of combination for any great day. Off course, with all that we enjoy we do not have huge yard, a big swimming pool and a big SUV to get around. It is the environment of uptown and the interaction of my family that I think make our family live well, after uptown we cannot see our selft moving back to the suburd.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas