Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 05:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,832 times

Advertisements

I get really tired of the same old crap, everybody knows what happened to the Indians, if you would like to go back to hunting your food and throwing spears at your neighbors or closets tribe then go ahead!

Anyway back to 2009!

Old 01-19-2009, 06:37 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,673,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catluvr View Post
Just curious...
6/6 of my husband's contracting friends (including himself) are out of work. Is anyone hiring in DFW? Where have all the jobs gone?

Rhetorical question...

If nobody is hiring and everybody is laid off (or just not working on a pay-roll i.e. those that are not eligible for unemployment), how is anyone supposed to stimulate the economy? If companies do not start hiring DFW will be hurting. People continue to need and buy goods.

Is the fact all the jobs are going away a product of the media, an act of greed for companies so execs can make a lot of money, or truly because there is no longer a need for computers, networking, clothing, food, etc.?

People will continue to scale down and not live lavishly, but the economy still needs to provide IT and software services, accounting, financial, food, clothing, etc. I can see the scale down need for cars and lavish new houses. Can anyone truly explain what is going on? My opinion is we have these needs, but America has sold out the americans by moving jobs to China, Mexico and India and now our livable wage that Americans can and used to do (i.e. roofing, landscaping, cooking, factories, etc.) have been given to cheap labor and now pay nothing leaving Americans in a world of hurt.

Am I venting...probably, but what can we do about it? We have a lot of people to feed and employ and yet we continue to screw up America by giving our what used to be good paying jobs away for nothing. Years ago roofers could make 20-30.00 an hour...now those jobs pay 7.00 if you are lucky!!!! Heck, nobody will even hire a former project manager for a cooking position. Years ago (like 10 or so), you could always become a cook with no problem. At least it would aleviate the pains of unemployment.

Any thoughts? How do we get America back?
Don't worry. It is all George W Bush's fault and starting tomorrow Obama should have us all saved in about 3 weeks or so. Really.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:46 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,988,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWMudKat View Post
I get really tired of the same old crap, everybody knows what happened to the Indians, if you would like to go back to hunting your food and throwing spears at your neighbors or closets tribe then go ahead!

Anyway back to 2009!
that was really uncalled for. the American Indians led noble lives, far superior to the rat race back stabbing society that evolved in our country, at least in my opinion.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:09 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,684,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWMudKat View Post

Anyway back to 2009!
They tried to live peaceful lives, keeping to themselves and we pretty much slaughtered them. Boo hoo, you're tired of hearing about it. You are whats wrong with our society. Only concerned with yourself and your meaningless day to day materialistic lifestyle.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:26 PM

175 posts, read 404,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdfw View Post
The media has overblown the job and economic situation, for now at least. I read a recent article that overall unemployment is 7.5%, but unemployment for those with a college degree is only 3.3%.

I don't know the exact figures for Dallas, but it is not that bad (yet). The stock market hit bottom in October, so it will take a while for the fear to subside. I bet he will find a job by summer if we works hard at it everyday.
So called official government figures for unemployment is 7.3%
But;
Anybody with a clear mind will know that the figures are total BS. The real unemployment is currently around 12-13% in the US.

One of the major issues with the current environment is that things are not getting better, and future looks extremely grim. People are now trying to get by with part-time jobs because full time jobs are getting scarce by the day.

Stock market did not hit the bottom in October.
Where does this come from? October low for Dow was 8085. Then in November another low came at 7392.
We are in a bear market, in bear markets there is no bottom, there are rallies that make new bottoms. Since the last week of November we have been in a bear market (sucker) rally where the rally ended in the last week, all the gains were given back in a matter of 5 (five) days. Meanwhile it took a month to have those gains.

The situation is bad, but people do not want to see it. As long as they have a job right now, they think they will always have a job. But the depression in 1930s hit so hard so fast that unemployment (official figures) jumped to 30% and the optimism immediately left for a much worse feeling. People were not ready for it.

And sadly, people are still not ready for it.

Didn't anybody hear what happened to Bank of America? It is being nationalized just like Citibank. Why would a government nationalize a bank? Because the bank(s) are in deep ....

What happens when a government nationalizes a bank? They take on bad debt of the bank that they need to pay back. How would a government pay the bad debt? By printing money of course. Tax income will go down due to loss of jobs, and loss of corporate profits, which will force the government to keep on printing more money. What does demand and supply say? Oversupply = loss of value...

The folks now are tapping on the credit limits of their credit cards, once those limits are filled what will they do? US has a negative savings rate Yes negative savings rate. Majority of the upper income households are salary-rich, meaning without having their high pay salaries they will immediately fall to lower income levels due to the lack of savings. And situation is even worse for middle income and lower income households.

Job security is a thing of the past. For those who think Dallas is immune to any economic crises should actually go around and talk to the employees of big companies in Dallas. Partly due to my job I do end up talking with many high level employees in many companies in Dallas, and for most of the industries the outlook is grim.

Many big companies are on a hiring freeze in Dallas. And some already started their layoffs, and many are on their way to start their layoffs. The only strong sector is healthcare, the strongest position in healthcare is the nursing. Even the strong fields like accounting is having rough patches here and there (all of the big 4 Dallas offices had layoffs, and more to come as they say)...

So keep your money tight, pay off your debt instead of getting into new ones, and don't ever think your job is completely secure, and start saving money for the rough times that will come ahead.

The unemployment rate is expected to hit 10.8% by the end of 2009 (government figures that is), real unemployment will be much higher than that. Currently there is deflation in some sectors, it may get widespread to many sectors, which is bad for the economy

Bank of America and Citi will end up being completely taken over by the government, Wells Fargo may follow, Bank Of NY may be next, and eventually final blow will be JPM Chase, which will be the biggest burden on the back of the government. Currently JPM is holding about $7 trillion of derivatives, and quarter of it is said to be in contracts that are now pennies on the dollar but expirations are not yet near. They have been losing big money on the gold-carry-trade recently, mounting...

Last edited by zatires; 01-19-2009 at 11:38 PM..

Old 01-19-2009, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
Don't worry. It is all George W Bush's fault and starting tomorrow Obama should have us all saved in about 3 weeks or so. Really.
Hahahaha, that is great.

Funny that many folks actually belive that Obama will save us all I mean come on I seriously think that we will be wishing it was the good old Bush days when the 2010 starts.

I saw the video clips of people on youtube thinking they will not have to worry about their car payments or mortgage payments because Obama was elected. Where do they come up with this stuff???

Old 01-20-2009, 08:59 AM

308 posts, read 1,231,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zatires View Post
So called official government figures for unemployment is 7.3%
But;
Anybody with a clear mind will know that the figures are total BS. The real unemployment is currently around 12-13% in the US.

One of the major issues with the current environment is that things are not getting better, and future looks extremely grim. People are now trying to get by with part-time jobs because full time jobs are getting scarce by the day.

Stock market did not hit the bottom in October.
Where does this come from? October low for Dow was 8085. Then in November another low came at 7392.
We are in a bear market, in bear markets there is no bottom, there are rallies that make new bottoms. Since the last week of November we have been in a bear market (sucker) rally where the rally ended in the last week, all the gains were given back in a matter of 5 (five) days. Meanwhile it took a month to have those gains.

The situation is bad, but people do not want to see it. As long as they have a job right now, they think they will always have a job. But the depression in 1930s hit so hard so fast that unemployment (official figures) jumped to 30% and the optimism immediately left for a much worse feeling. People were not ready for it.

And sadly, people are still not ready for it.

Didn't anybody hear what happened to Bank of America? It is being nationalized just like Citibank. Why would a government nationalize a bank? Because the bank(s) are in deep ....

What happens when a government nationalizes a bank? They take on bad debt of the bank that they need to pay back. How would a government pay the bad debt? By printing money of course. Tax income will go down due to loss of jobs, and loss of corporate profits, which will force the government to keep on printing more money. What does demand and supply say? Oversupply = loss of value...

The folks now are tapping on the credit limits of their credit cards, once those limits are filled what will they do? US has a negative savings rate Yes negative savings rate. Majority of the upper income households are salary-rich, meaning without having their high pay salaries they will immediately fall to lower income levels due to the lack of savings. And situation is even worse for middle income and lower income households.

Job security is a thing of the past. For those who think Dallas is immune to any economic crises should actually go around and talk to the employees of big companies in Dallas. Partly due to my job I do end up talking with many high level employees in many companies in Dallas, and for most of the industries the outlook is grim.

Many big companies are on a hiring freeze in Dallas. And some already started their layoffs, and many are on their way to start their layoffs. The only strong sector is healthcare, the strongest position in healthcare is the nursing. Even the strong fields like accounting is having rough patches here and there (all of the big 4 Dallas offices had layoffs, and more to come as they say)...

So keep your money tight, pay off your debt instead of getting into new ones, and don't ever think your job is completely secure, and start saving money for the rough times that will come ahead.

The unemployment rate is expected to hit 10.8% by the end of 2009 (government figures that is), real unemployment will be much higher than that. Currently there is deflation in some sectors, it may get widespread to many sectors, which is bad for the economy

Bank of America and Citi will end up being completely taken over by the government, Wells Fargo may follow, Bank Of NY may be next, and eventually final blow will be JPM Chase, which will be the biggest burden on the back of the government. Currently JPM is holding about $7 trillion of derivatives, and quarter of it is said to be in contracts that are now pennies on the dollar but expirations are not yet near. They have been losing big money on the gold-carry-trade recently, mounting...

I think you watch too much news. The media is all doom and gloom and only focuses on the present, not the near or long-term future.

Right now, it is really not that bad. Unemployment is 7.5%, and 3.3% for college graduates, but is higher for manufacturing & factory workers - 12 to 15%.

Regardless, even if we used your number of 12-13% that you made up out of thin air, then that means 87-88% of people are still employed. We will have more layoffs, but that will only affect a very small portion of the working population.

The media and the public are making the downturn worse by propogating fear. Fear is really the only thing to fear. The ecnonomy goes up and it goes down and it has done so for hundreds of years. It will come back in due time, just like it always does.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdfw View Post
I think you watch too much news. The media is all doom and gloom and only focuses on the present, not the near or long-term future.

Right now, it is really not that bad. Unemployment is 7.5%, and 3.3% for college graduates, but is higher for manufacturing & factory workers - 12 to 15%.

Regardless, . We will have more layoffs, but that will only affect a very small portion of the working population.

The media and the public are making the downturn worse by propogating fear. Fear is really the only thing to fear. The ecnonomy goes up and it goes down and it has done so for hundreds of years. It will come back in due time, just like it always does.

Sorry to state the obvious;
But the above message just proves how clueless some people (actually majority) of the people are.

So sad to see this.

1 - Seems like nobody has a clue how government calculates the unemployment figure, and stating the college graduates has 3.3% unemployment rate That is funny. Where did you hear that from? The media? And you claim that I believe in the media way too much. It seems like you are the one who believes what the media throws at you.

2 - Media does not state the real unemployment rate is much higher than 7.3%. The actual figure is as I have stated close to 12-13% right now, and will get much worse. Again just find out how government calculates the unemployment figures.

3 - The funniest part of the post was this;
Quote:
even if we used your number of 12-13% that you made up out of thin air, then that means 87-88% of people are still employed
Are we really that clueless?
87-88% of the people are employed? So we now have babies that are 2 months old, and seniors that are 70 years old employed? So we started child labor like some of the other countries

And the funniest of all was this sentence;
Quote:
We will have more layoffs, but that will only affect a very small portion of the working population.
Did you hear the news? Last month, just in one month the loss of jobs were 550.000 people.

Hold right here. And try to grasp that number.

1 month, 550.000 people lost their jobs. ONE MONTH. And of course this is the government figure. I am writing again;

ONE MONTH
550.000 PEOPLE LOST THEIR JOBS.

In one year, on that pace it makes 6.6 MILLION job losses.

If you consider that small portion, I wonder what "big" portion will make you wake up from fantasy.

The crises will hit those who are the least ready for it. And it seems like many people are not ready for it (majority of the population that is).

Quote:
The ecnonomy goes up and it goes down and it has done so for hundreds of years. It will come back in due time, just like it always does
Did you live through the great depression, or know of people who lived through it? Tell them the same cheery ideas as well, I wonder what they will say Economy goes down, yes, and it is going down the drain now, it will eventually come back up, but in due time?

Depressions last quite some time, back in due times don't happen at all.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:52 AM

288 posts, read 1,191,060 times
Pluto (http://www.michaellutin.com/futureofamericavf.htm - broken link) in Capricorn (and its aspects) in the chart of the United States, 2008-2023

Old 01-20-2009, 11:25 AM

308 posts, read 1,231,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zatires View Post
Sorry to state the obvious;
But the above message just proves how clueless some people (actually majority) of the people are.

So sad to see this.

1 - Seems like nobody has a clue how government calculates the unemployment figure, and stating the college graduates has 3.3% unemployment rate That is funny. Where did you hear that from? The media? And you claim that I believe in the media way too much. It seems like you are the one who believes what the media throws at you.

2 - Media does not state the real unemployment rate is much higher than 7.3%. The actual figure is as I have stated close to 12-13% right now, and will get much worse. Again just find out how government calculates the unemployment figures.

3 - The funniest part of the post was this;

Are we really that clueless?
87-88% of the people are employed? So we now have babies that are 2 months old, and seniors that are 70 years old employed? So we started child labor like some of the other countries

And the funniest of all was this sentence;

Did you hear the news? Last month, just in one month the loss of jobs were 550.000 people.

Hold right here. And try to grasp that number.

1 month, 550.000 people lost their jobs. ONE MONTH. And of course this is the government figure. I am writing again;

ONE MONTH
550.000 PEOPLE LOST THEIR JOBS.

In one year, on that pace it makes 6.6 MILLION job losses.

If you consider that small portion, I wonder what "big" portion will make you wake up from fantasy.

The crises will hit those who are the least ready for it. And it seems like many people are not ready for it (majority of the population that is).

Did you live through the great depression, or know of people who lived through it? Tell them the same cheery ideas as well, I wonder what they will say Economy goes down, yes, and it is going down the drain now, it will eventually come back up, but in due time?

Depressions last quite some time, back in due times don't happen at all.

It is you that do not understanding the issues here.

1) Using your unemployment figures that you made up, then 87-88% of the WORKING POPULATION still has a job.

2) The working population is approximately 160 MILLION, so even if 6 million people lose their job, it represents a very small fraction of overall workers, 6/160 = 4% and everyone else still has their job.

3) The great depression actually had two cycles in 10 years and does not even come close to comparing to what is happening today. When the banks failed back then, everyone who had an account there lost everything and no FDIC insurance as today, not to mention unemployment was 30% or higher. It is ridiculous to compare the two times. We made it through the great depression, and we will make it through this downturn.

Things are not that bad, for now. Of course it could always get worse, but the primary driving force of the worsening economy is fear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas