Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 09:35 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,240,297 times

Advertisements

Rockwall isn't anymore religious than any other area of Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 07:37 PM

141 posts, read 686,234 times
I don't think its a very religous town at all. In texas going to church is a social/networking event from what I can tell. It doesn't mean people live in accordance with what the clergy from the church would prefer. There is a liquor store knocking on Rocwalls back door that is very busy, not to mention all the people that drive accross the bridge to rowlett to buy beer and wine.
Even here in Rowlett if you want hard liquor you have to drive to the above mentioned liquor store on 1 30. don't worry about it, if someone knocks on your door to invite you to church you have the option of closing the door and continuing on with your day.

Old 07-22-2007, 06:00 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,061,509 times
I can't speak for the church in Rockwall, but in general, a huge megachurch like LakePointe is not reflective of one small community - but winds up drawing folks from a big area - so I'm sure that skews the numbers. (A church in Rockwall has xxxx number of people - but they aren't all from Rockwall by any means!)

Old 11-12-2009, 02:44 AM

22 posts, read 67,328 times
Default Rockwall growing fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
According to Sperling's Best Places, Rockwall is something like 69.59% religious.
Has anyone any idea if this is true or not? I imagine you could tell if you saw a church on every other corner.
I'm definitely not into the church thing and this has me a tad freaked out, to be frank about it.
There is a huge church in Rockwall. See it at Welcome to Lake Pointe Church The worst part is that the church events cause traffic jams right on the interstate access road which is where all the best shopping areas are located. When the church has an event of any sort the traffic jams the access road as if you are in a huge city. When a big singer is in town, the traffic jams again. The good part about the church is that it helps a lot of inner city poor in Dallas. The Dallas area is a small world so I have met some members of that church as they perform outreach services feeding and clothing the homeless and poor. They did such a great job that the homeless were witnessed throwing away clothing that did not have name brands that were sellable :-) This was my first experience with homeless people being spoiled by the wealth of suburbia.

From my experience, most people in Rockwall do not attend that church. They may be religious...but not necessarily church goers.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:40 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,068,474 times
Why are so many people afraid of religion? Are they so devoid of the spiritual side of life that confronting it is horrible, like Count Dracula looking at a crucifix and writhing in fear?

Perhaps some are unconsciously in fear of death, and want to avoid thinking about the grim eventuality. Religious people would remind them that, yes, death is as inevitable, or even more so, than the tax collector.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:56 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
Why are so many people afraid of religion? Are they so devoid of the spiritual side of life that confronting it is horrible, like Count Dracula looking at a crucifix and writhing in fear?

Perhaps some are unconsciously in fear of death, and want to avoid thinking about the grim eventuality. Religious people would remind them that, yes, death is as inevitable, or even more so, than the tax collector.
There are many ways to be spiritual.

And I would argue those who are religious may manage to better avoid the reality of death b/c they think they get to go to "heaven", see all their loved ones again, and live (so to speak) happily ever after. Those who do not believe in god face a far scarier idea of death.

However, I would never insult those who want to be around other religious people, nor those who want to find like-minded people who are not religious, the way you have done. People are just trying to find a place to fit in and not be the odd-man out. It's nothing more than that.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:22 AM

2 posts, read 12,135 times
Rockwall is great. Yes, Church on the Rock was scary...recruited
in the schools, aggressively sought funds
from members and MOST of the town belonged.
T'was freaky. They folded for financial misdeeds
now we have Lakepoint Church. They don't
allow women to teach men... Can u believe
that, in 2011. Many women members don't
know that. They bill themselves as "Church for
the unchurched"...whatever. I've been. Pretty
innoucuous. Few like a broadway show with live
music, big screen TV clip, pretty fun. Move
to the lakefront by Northshore. There are a lot
of cool people here, and homes available, too.
Good luck!

Old 04-25-2011, 02:25 PM

104 posts, read 250,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
There are many ways to be spiritual.

And I would argue those who are religious may manage to better avoid the reality of death b/c they think they get to go to "heaven", see all their loved ones again, and live (so to speak) happily ever after. Those who do not believe in god face a far scarier idea of death.

However, I would never insult those who want to be around other religious people, nor those who want to find like-minded people who are not religious, the way you have done. People are just trying to find a place to fit in and not be the odd-man out. It's nothing more than that.
Well Said!

Old 04-29-2011, 09:59 PM

104 posts, read 254,788 times
I just remember being a 10th grader and having 2 seniors sandwiching me all the way home to tell about how I should embrace Christ as my savior.

It was scary.

So, ya I'd say its pretty religious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas