Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 09:04 AM

5,253 posts, read 6,354,075 times

Advertisements

My boss is gay. He lives in Rowlette and likes it just fine. Though he was born in TX, he has also lived in New Jersey and California, and chose to come back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 09:29 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,442,096 times
It's becoming much more accepting around the DFW area in general. My only true nextdoor neighbor(we're on a corner) is gay, and the lady across from the street from us is gay as well. They are really the only ones we know and we've lived in our house for over a year and a half. They are both extremely kind and thoughtful, and I wouldn't want anyone else for neighbors. We three have arguably the nicest yards on the street and a few weeks ago during the wind storm, they were immediately outside checking on my wife and kids. I come from a very conservative area and background, along with my wife. Like I stated before, we wouldn't change our neighbors for anyone. Good people are good people no matter their religion, sexual preference or race.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:32 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,142,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
Nothing wrong with living in Plano but if your looking for nightlife I would not chose any burb. Living in the city proper would be the way to go. If your settled and want a quiet life Plano will be fine. You will have some people who will disagree with your lifestyle but for the most part no one cares.
She did not say night life.
She said gay.

It is fine here.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobr View Post
There are way many states in the US that are gay friendly. TX definitely is not one of them!! Try NYC for eg :-)
Wtf?!?!

New York is not a friendly state...

Old 05-30-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Wtf?!?!

New York is not a friendly state...
LOL, I like how you didn't even narrow it down to friendly towards gays. It's just unfriendly in general towards most..well NYC at least.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
She did not say night life.
She said gay.

It is fine here.
Agreed but it is something OP may want to consider. There isn't much night life in general in Plano for anyone. You could hit up the shops at legacy, but it's nothing like places within the loop. Especially if someone is looking for a gay bar, that's just out of the question in the burbs.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
LOL, I like how you didn't even narrow it down to friendly towards gays. It's just unfriendly in general towards most..well NYC at least.
Totally!

I have yet to go there without proof of that.

One time, I was standing on the curb and a guy hit me with his car.
And he yelled at me!

One time, a bunch of teens started yelling at an old woman instead of helping her with her luggage. In was floored. So I helped her.

One time, a guy started talking to us in Times Square until he found out we were from Texas and then started screaming at us out of nowhere about how it "sucks" here (he has never been).

One time...oh, god, I have endless stories.

People have to care and be friendly first before I start caring if they are GAY friendly.

Btw, 25 years in Plano...it is fine here.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Agreed but it is something OP may want to consider. There isn't much night life in general in Plano for anyone. You could hit up the shops at legacy, but it's nothing like places within the loop. Especially if someone is looking for a gay bar, that's just out of the question in the burbs.
What? All gay people go out at night?

Why is nightlife specifically brought up?

Why not park systems? Libraries? Groceries?

Old 05-30-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
What? All gay people go out at night?

Why is nightlife specifically brought up?

Why not park systems? Libraries? Groceries?
Open minded big city single girl to me...usually indicates they aren't necessarily looking for the quite life and may be interested in going out and meeting people. *Offside, 15 yard penalty* Are we really going to tell them about Groceries and libraries in a big city. Here, OP there are good groceries stores and libraries in both Dallas and Plano.

And I actually had a wonderful experience in NYC. I left my wallet in a cab. Someone found it and gave it to the cab driver. The cab driver went through it, found my hotel key card and contacted the hotel letting them know. The hotel called me on my cell phone to give me the information and also sent a car(free of charge) to pick me up and take me to the cabbie as he was already done with his shift. I tried giving the cab driver that found my wallet $100 but he refused to take it. I was shocked and pleasantly surprised. We also ran into a bunch of terribly rude people, but it would take a lot to tarnish NYC after the cab experience I had.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Open minded big city single girl to me...usually indicates they aren't necessarily looking for the quite life and may be interested in going out and meeting people. *Offside, 15 yard penalty* Are we really going to tell them about Groceries and libraries in a big city. Here, OP there are good groceries stores and libraries in both Dallas and Plano.

And I actually had a wonderful experience in NYC. I left my wallet in a cab. Someone found it and gave it to the cab driver. The cab driver went through it, found my hotel key card and contacted the hotel letting them know. The hotel called me on my cell phone to give me the information and also sent a car(free of charge) to pick me up and take me to the cabbie as he was already done with his shift. I tried giving the cab driver that found my wallet $100 but he refused to take it. I was shocked and pleasantly surprised. We also ran into a bunch of terribly rude people, but it would take a lot to tarnish NYC after the cab experience I had.
I have to say every cab driver I met there was very personable and helpful.
Lot of them were pretty new immigrants.

Lol...yes, "gay clubs" (literally 15 minute drive down the tollway) may be one place to meet people. You are right. The concept is off-putting to me, as I have never found bars/clubs (gay or straight) to be anything but skeevy situations (though fun places to dance sometimes).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas