Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2009, 01:48 AM

7 posts, read 24,310 times

Advertisements

Hi all I am a professional relocating from NJ to Dallas and need some help. I visited the city for the first time a few weeks ago and am overwhelmed by the size and housing options. Initially I was looking to buy a house but now my partner and I have decided to rent something for 6-12 months until we get to know the area. In searching for apartments there seems to be a gadzillion options and alot of talk on this site about unsafe neighborhoods which is making me very nervous. I was wondering if someone can offer some area or even better apartment complex recommendations. To give you some details about what I am looking for and budget:
1) Within a 20-30 minute rush hour commute to the Brookhaven College area
2) Budget $1000ish or even better $1200ish if I can find something furnished
3) 2 BR or large 1 BR
4) Must be pet friendly and accept dog (boxer) and cats
5) Proximately to downtown and "city environment" is unimportant. We are not into the whole bar and party thing. We prefer a gay friendly suburb but certainly would not rule out a safe neighborhood closer to downtown if the commute works.
6) Safe, comfortable, friendly environment

If anyone can help me I sure would appreciate it. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 11:34 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,516,646 times
Brookhaven is located in Farmer's Branch, which is one of the closest-in suburbs. It is right next to Addison, which is a bit more urban than most other suburbs. There are lots of apartments, condos, townhomes, restaurants and retail establishments in Addison. It's also very close to the Galleria shopping center. Addison provides a quick commute to Brookhaven and does offer some semblance of an urban environment. If I were going to live in a Dallas suburb, Addison would be the one.

If you want the real city environment though, I would look further south. Oak Lawn specifically. That is just a couple miles north of downtown and there is easy access to the tollroad which should allow you a reverse commute of less than 30 minutes. Oak Lawn is GLBT HQ in Dallas. There are lots of things to do in or close to the area that don't involve going to the many gay bars. Although most of the people in the Dallas suburbs will be gay friendly, you should find inner-city Dallas to be extremely welcoming. I don't know specific apartment complexes, but there are many in Oak Lawn and I'm sure you can find something in your price range. It also offers the convenience of being near Downtown, Uptown, the Arts District, the Katy Trail & Turtle Creek for those days when you don't have to go to work. It would be a good base from which to explore Dallas. Good luck!

Old 01-22-2009, 11:38 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,516,646 times
Sorry, I just re-read your post and saw that you said city environment is UNIMPORTANT. I misread that originally and geared my response the wrong way. I'll just re-iterate that most of the suburbs are going to be populated by a diverse crowd of people and being gay should not be much of an issue.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:10 PM

206 posts, read 1,013,365 times
And I'd like to add to that as well Dallas native you are so right on that but if all else fails the oak lawn midtown area which is considered north dallas off 35 and oaklawn/maple/turtle creek area is predominantly where you would find your professional gay community . Good luck on your move.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:28 PM

428 posts, read 1,396,026 times
You could easily live in Uptown/Oak Lawn/Love Field area. There are several apts that have popped in this area recently. Then, just go north on Lemmon/Marsh all the way to Brookheaven. Hardly any traffic and its like 15 mins. Thats my route everyday.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:50 PM

93 posts, read 396,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portorro View Post
You could easily live in Uptown/Oak Lawn/Love Field area. There are several apts that have popped in this area recently. Then, just go north on Lemmon/Marsh all the way to Brookheaven. Hardly any traffic and its like 15 mins. Thats my route everyday.
I'll second that! Marsh Lane/Lemmon is a great way to cut across town quickly.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:59 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,228,724 times
Oak Lawn, Lincoln Court Apts, google.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:09 PM

7 posts, read 24,310 times
Thank you all very much appreciate the feedback

Old 01-26-2009, 05:46 PM

62 posts, read 226,259 times
Addison is just down the street from Brookhaven College. The town is pet friendly, with 2 dog parks for Addison residents. There are apartments on Beltway, Marsh Lane, Westgrove, Ledgemont, Sojourn, Addison Circle, Brookhaven Club Drive and on Spring Valley. All of the complexes on Brookhaven and some of the ones on Spring Valley are scheduled to be torn down as part of the 117 acre Vitruvian Park project.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: