Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 12:55 PM

5 posts, read 27,965 times

Advertisements

what do u think of portrait townhomes in bedford?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2007, 08:53 PM

1 posts, read 8,470 times
Default Portrait - My Experience

I bought a new townhome at the Kingsbrook Addition (Independence and 121) in Plano. My parents live in Chicago and they had saw the Portrait signs around, so for some reason that made me feel good about them. Long Story short.... I paid $150k for the townhome, which I thought was great since the single family homes were selling for $300k + (different builder) across the street. After 9 stressful months and almost a divorce, I sold it for $135k. They tell you anything you want to hear....they go through a lot of people .... the windows and doors leak. Etc etc. Feel free to contact me, I have my paperwork, pictures, video etc.

Old 05-06-2007, 11:04 AM

46 posts, read 437,873 times
I dont want to be mean, but, a house for 150K....what are you expecting? leaking doors and windows is pretty bad...you would think they are fixing that. Also, right now is not the best time to be trying to sell a house and in the plano area, townhomes is not the most popular type of house with respectable single-family homes for 200 to 250. therefore, if you think you are not going to keep the house for at least five years...stay away.

I hope things get better for you. Think of it this way, you didn't lose too much money....and trash your credit. 15K under is not too bad...you could still be trying to sell it :

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTaylor View Post
I bought a new townhome at the Kingsbrook Addition (Independence and 121) in Plano. My parents live in Chicago and they had saw the Portrait signs around, so for some reason that made me feel good about them. Long Story short.... I paid $150k for the townhome, which I thought was great since the single family homes were selling for $300k + (different builder) across the street. After 9 stressful months and almost a divorce, I sold it for $135k. They tell you anything you want to hear....they go through a lot of people .... the windows and doors leak. Etc etc. Feel free to contact me, I have my paperwork, pictures, video etc.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:52 PM

1 posts, read 8,431 times
Default Portrait Homes

I bought a Centex Townhome in Dallas in 2004. The value is more now than I paid and the overall construction experience was good. This was my 4th new home (townhome in this case) and none of the 4 was perfect. I would buy another home from Centex. Spend a Saturday or Sunday in one of Portraits subdivisions talking with the owners...... you will decide for yourself. My personal experience was with the 4 owners I talked with... 2 had filed lawsuits and 3 had some pretty major construction problems.

Casey

Old 05-07-2007, 06:40 PM

46 posts, read 437,873 times
Default quite possible

Quite possible. I did some research on Portrait (and I use that term research, litely) and I didnt find any *negative* press/comments. hopefully, this is not a trend and just a few bad apples

I am closing on mine in a few weeks. I guess in a year or so, I'll let you guys know! Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Texas View Post
I bought a Centex Townhome in Dallas in 2004. The value is more now than I paid and the overall construction experience was good. This was my 4th new home (townhome in this case) and none of the 4 was perfect. I would buy another home from Centex. Spend a Saturday or Sunday in one of Portraits subdivisions talking with the owners...... you will decide for yourself. My personal experience was with the 4 owners I talked with... 2 had filed lawsuits and 3 had some pretty major construction problems.

Casey

Old 05-09-2007, 02:15 AM

1 posts, read 8,387 times
Default Portrait Homes

I currently own a town home in Hanover (Houston). I found this topic while doing a search for Portrait Homes. One post said ..."what do you expect for $150k"? Well I would expect a lot! My town home "Only" cost $118k, but I still expect a good home. 2 buildings on the next street is getting re-built by the order of the city because of mold. The City of Plano waived building fees for 2007 if they would not build anymore in their city in 2008, that is a statement! (found while doing research) I wish I would have looked into Portrait before I bought. I have made about 20 trips to Dallas to talk with the owners son, Bruno Jr! Over half the units here are for sale. I had 87 items to repair when I closed. Now only 81 to go after 4 months. I hope you have better luck than most of us.

Old 06-21-2007, 06:35 AM

1 posts, read 8,266 times
Portrait Homes is now building homes in the Houston, Spring and Cypress areas. I'm thinking about buying one. On a scale of 0-10, how do they rate? I have read both positive and negative views and I remain unsure. By the way, does anyone know of anyother builders that are building townhomes in the Spring, Woodlands, or Houston area.

Thanks jamcan39

Last edited by jamcan39; 06-21-2007 at 06:43 AM..

Old 07-23-2007, 06:35 PM

8 posts, read 21,325 times
I, too, am in the market for a new townhome in the Plano/Frisco area. I just recently looked at the Portrait Home townhomes on the corner of Ohio & McDermott, and I liked what I saw. I know that you will not make a lot of money with these (or any homes in Texas, for that matter), but I do like the location! The mall is right there, and when 121 is finally done, it'll be great. It's a really nice area, too....I just love the low-maintenance lifestyle!

I will probably buy in the next 6 months or so, but my down payment funds are locked up in a real estate investment out in Charleston, SC.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:40 AM

1 posts, read 8,046 times
Default Potrait Home Questions

What about the Potrait homes in Bedford.......how is the area?
I am thinking about purchasing a townhome for a starter home for a few years then renting it out. Any thoughts on this in the DFW area? Also, is there any other community I can look at to get a real top notch townhome like the ones at La Valita in Los Colinas without the Los Colinas price?

Old 08-30-2007, 09:10 AM

2 posts, read 14,960 times
Default want to talk to you

Jay,

I am looking into buying a townhome at the Kingsbrook. I would really want to talk to you since you have lived there and understand if it is a wise decision to buy there. Can you please give me your email address or phone number so that I can get in touch with you. My phone number is 214-649-3554 and my email id ajaykshaw at gmail dot com.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTaylor View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas