Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2009, 01:45 PM
636 636 started this thread

2 posts, read 7,161 times

Advertisements

My family and I just moved from O'fallon MO (a suburb of St. Louis) a few months ago. We rented an apartment in Lewisville, which borders Coppell. My son ended up going to Marshal Durham Middle School and isn't happy at all. We want to move him to a better school and we're willing to break the lease just to do that. He does have ADHD, which the school doesn't know how to handle. He is very sweet, kind and caring but he's becoming very resentful of the way he's being handled there.
My husband works in lewisville so I need something farely close. I've thought about Frisco, Plano, Coppell, Richardson but I need to make sure they have a good middle school that will suit my son.
We're looking to rent a three bedroom house for around 1,400 or under.
Could anyone give me some advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 01:53 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
I'd go to Richardson. You should be able to find something in your price range. Everyone I know in the RISD has been VERY HAPPY with it. My daughter has many friends in the RISD and all love it as well (parents love it and the kids too ). Since Richardson is not still being developed like some of the other areas the schools are pretty well settled and established. You won't have to worry about him starting at one this next year and getting bumped the next to a new one because of expansion. I'd call NOW and schedule a tour of several different schools and get a good feel for them.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:58 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,462,012 times
Middle school is tough. I mean, it's just The Dark Years for so many families no matter the school district, no matter the middle school.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:56 PM

126 posts, read 454,209 times
I have a friend who's son has ADD. They sold their dream home in Lewisville because of the horrible level of teaching for ADD kids. They had the means to put him in a private school, Winston, which specializes in ADD type kids. It's VERY expensive. Here's the link - http://winston-school.org

Richardson ISD has a really good website. It will help you tonight starting putting together a plan.

Good luck!

Old 01-31-2009, 07:11 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,462,012 times
Yeah, my ADHD son is also in a private school for ADHD and/or dsylexic kids. If you can swing it, I highly recommend going the private ADHD school route.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:50 AM

587 posts, read 1,625,103 times
LISD is pretty well known for their special ed dept., but once kids get in middle school, it's a little more difficult to get them to keep up with the kid's accomodations. The parent really needs to become an advocate for their kid and be in constant communication with all of the kid's teachers. I wouldn't move too far from where your husband's job is, unless you are going the private school (Winston & Shelton are two of the best for ADHD kids, but there are several others that have good reputations) route. I think in a public middle school, it's going to be hit-or-miss with finding a good fit, and you wouldn't want to have a big commute for the husband and then find out that the new middle school isn't much better than the old. BTW, Durham middle school has a pretty poor reputation in LISD (one of the worst in a great school district) - If you don't want to move far, try Forestwood or Lamar (both on the east side of Flower Mound - not the expensive areas - I know you can find something in your price range for Lamar - not sure about Forestwood).

Old 02-01-2009, 02:52 PM

709 posts, read 3,473,293 times
You might be able to find something in the Killian or Creekvalley attendance zone as well in Carrollton/Lewisville border. I'm sure you could make a visit to the school and talk to the school administrators and counselor etc. Both of these schools feed into Hebron HS. I think there is also a middle school called Arbor Creek and that is in Carrollton but is a LISD school. I know the homes are in your price range as I was looking a while back for places to lease/rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas