Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 06:14 PM

10 posts, read 30,822 times

Advertisements

I am considering taking a job at the VA Hospital in Dallas. I've never been to Texas, but I am ready for a move. I have 3 young children and would like to live in a nice neighborhood that is in close proximity to my job (and shopping, and restaurants, and did I say shopping). I currently drive 45 mins to work and I really want to be closer than that.
I hear that Ft. Worth is a nice place, but the drive would be about the same. My boys play football and baseball and I heard that Dallas is big on youth sports. I am also looking for a good school district (elem & middle), low crime (considering such a large city), and just an overall nice place to live.
We moved about 4 times (military) in the past 10 years and would love to find a nice place to just settle down.
Oh yeah, I heard that it's pretty hard to find a house in/around Dallas with a basement. Is that true? Our last home was about $150000 and I would like the next one to be no more than that (less if possible).
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 06:31 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
Well, here's the bad news. No basements here. Well, there may be 25 houses in the entire metroplex area with a basement and they are million dollar houses. The VA is located in a crummy part of town. Living close by won't be possible. $150,000 will limit you. Living in Ft. Worth and working in Dallas is crazy, but a few desperate-for-work folks will do it. Dallas jobs pay more than Ft. Worth jobs and there are more jobs in Dallas than Ft. Worth, so that's why people do it. There is a commuter train between the two downtowns.

Having said all those bad things, I suggest looking at Forney, TX.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:45 PM

126 posts, read 454,098 times
You really would be best off by renting a place first. This will give you a chance to look around and decide on what works for you. I understand with kids, you want to get a stable environment for them as quickly as possible.

That being said, you can find a nice house for $150K within Dallas in the Lake Highlands neighborhood. The area is in the Richardson School District, which has great schools. The zip codes to search on are 75231 and 75238.

Mesquite has some nice areas in price range and they have a good curriculum. There are some nice areas around Northwest Hwy and Thornton. A good realtor knows of them.

Ignore the naysayers who will badmouth Mesquite. We have well-intentioned folks on this forum that have never traveled south of Collin County and spread the silliest rumors among themselves of Dallas.

I'm pm'ing you on a realty recommendation. Good luck and welcome to Dallas!

Old 02-01-2009, 12:31 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
get the job first --then rent--
it is starting to be a buyer's market in dallas
be patient

Old 02-01-2009, 06:58 AM

1,637 posts, read 4,103,207 times
You might also want to check out these communities: DeSoto, Lancaster, Glenn Heights, or a little further out in Cedar Hill, Ovilla, or Waxahachie. All of these places are located to the south of the VA. Whether you decide on renting first or buying, you should be able to find something nice that is within your price range.

Welcome to Texas!

Old 02-01-2009, 07:37 AM

Thanks for the info. I do plan to rent first (considering I still have to sell the house in GA). I am a city girl, originally from NYC, and my husband is from MS. So I like to be close to the city, but am really in love with the close and quiteness of small suburbia. I am looking forward to the move!

Old 02-01-2009, 08:11 AM

and if you really want to have --for the money you spend on a house--a quality school district--don't go to the towns suggested here that are south of Dallas--while there are people who live there and are happy with the school systems if you compare their stats with other DFW districts, I think you will see that there are definitely better districts around...

your best bet imight be to find something in your price range that is on bus line to your job...
public transit in decent areas will see more price appreciation that suburban living in next decade in my opinion....some towns that are close to Dallas have or will have transit lines but ones like Waxahatchie--nope--Waxahatchie is a lovely town but it would be a less than attractive commute to me on I-35

Old 02-01-2009, 09:20 AM

1,637 posts, read 4,103,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
and if you really want to have --for the money you spend on a house--a quality school district--don't go to the towns suggested here that are south of Dallas--while there are people who live there and are happy with the school systems if you compare their stats with other DFW districts, I think you will see that there are definitely better districts around...

your best bet imight be to find something in your price range that is on bus line to your job...
public transit in decent areas will see more price appreciation that suburban living in next decade in my opinion....some towns that are close to Dallas have or will have transit lines but ones like Waxahatchie--nope--Waxahatchie is a lovely town but it would be a less than attractive commute to me on I-35
Well excuse me for suggesting communities that are located near the VA. I was only trying to be helpful.

By the way, I-35 is not the only way to get from Waxahachie to Dallas. There are ways to avoid the interstate highways altogether if you live in Waxahachie, Red Oak, or Lancaster. State Highway 342 runs alongside the VA in Dallas and continues south through Lancaster and Red Oak. It ends slightly north of the Waxahachie city limits at a junction with U.S. Highway 77, which runs through the heart of Waxahachie. This is the same route my mom takes to and from her job in Waxahachie and it is never congested.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:27 PM

that might be true--it just seems like I-36 is always under construction when we drive that way for Renaissance Festival or something else...maybe it is finally done

Old 02-01-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
So you think that south Dallas is not a good area (school)? My cousin lives in Ft. Worth and we plan to visit in March. I guess with over 1mil people in Dallas, we may not cover much ground. I just want to get a good idea where to start. She suggested Ft. Worth, but I've heard that it is pretty far.

If anyone is familiar with the Atlanta area, we were living in McDonough, GA and I would love to live in a area similar to that. Any other suggestions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas