Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2009, 10:23 PM

1 posts, read 4,189 times

Advertisements

Relocating from Missouri and trying to decide between Flower Mound or Grapevine... Would like the shortest commute time to Las Colinas (John Carpenter Pkwy). We have 2 elementary-age children and the best schools are most important (commute time 2nd). We are looking for a subdivision with lots of young families and amentities (swimming pool, parks, trails, etc...). Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 12:48 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,504,574 times
price point is what you did not mention--very important

if you can afford it, Flower Mound is probably better choice than Grapevine--but top-dollar in Grapevine is probably better than bottom dollar in Flower Mound...

Old 02-01-2009, 01:38 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,199,363 times
I've been to Flower Mound only a couple of time but, jeezzzz loueez, the drive to get into the place was unbearable. Turns, stops... just went on and on. But then Hiway 114 is a rush hour night mare, especially going west in the afternoon. My experience is that it becomes a parking lot and you're looking right into the sun. I guess that's why all those happy hour houses have popped up... to take a break.

If I had to choose between the two it would be Flower Mound as it seemed to be a nice looking new suburban developed area. But I'm a city guy and have little use for the 'burbs.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:57 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,504,574 times
Flower Mound is not "new" but there is new construction going on there I think...
neither one would be quick commute to Las colinas--Grapevine is getting lots of prositive press and has nice historical downtown, Flower Mound is probably more yuppie in that it is larger, more high-dollar subdivisions per sq mil than Grapevine...it is difficult to get in/out of FLower Mound--that was part of choice when it was designed--
think it depends to large degree where you buy--getting out of north grapevine by the lake is not that easy at all either...very timeconsuming to get to 114 and then into Las Colinas...
the BEST SCHOOLS are in Southlake...

Old 02-01-2009, 02:03 AM

101 posts, read 306,159 times
OK Flower Mound is cool but if your looking for a quick commute well, I will say this Grapevine is probably closer but a quick commute you might not get dealing with traffic and all.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:18 AM

11,819 posts, read 26,665,928 times
Speaking as a Grapevine resident, I can tell you that we have excellent schools, a wonderful parks department, and lots of families here. It really depends on what your price range is as to which subdivision will be right for you. Yes, the commute to Las Colinas will have you driving into the sun both ways, but the alternative is to live towards the east, and those communities don't have what you're looking for without a MUCH longer commute.

Flower Mound is a PAIN to get in/out, and traffic on the main roads is AWFUL. I go there occasionally to shop at the Belk store, and I always say I am not going back!!

Old 02-01-2009, 05:39 PM

587 posts, read 1,618,124 times
I live in FM and if I was working in Las Colinas and knew that before choosing a home, I would say either Grapevine or Coppell would be your best choice. With either of those, you can hop on 114 and be in Las Colinas in 15 min., where from FM it would be more like 25 - 30, depending where in FM. Check out the Northlake Woodlands subdivision in Coppell if you like an older, wooded neighborhood.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:05 PM

40,919 posts, read 48,847,042 times
As a real estate agent who lives in Coppell, offices in Las Colinas and sells all the local cities... I vote for Flower Mound. Very kid friendly & easier to get in & out. Getting to Grapevine around the north end of the airport can be horrendous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas