Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 11:07 AM

1,082 posts, read 3,773,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
San Bernardino County, Riverside, Kern...

Let's not forget Bakersfield, Stockton, Victorville (yuck cubed).

The first two of your examples are within an hour, the third gets a 'well, why would you want to live there anyway' (Picacho is nice, but the state prison in your backyard is creepy)

If you look at where the population density is in CA, most is within an hour of the coast (LA/Bay Area, Orange County, Most of Riverside County and San Diego)....That's about 12-15 million people.

There are people that live away from the coast, but even 2 hours to the coast is not an unrealistc drive.

Being on the ocean with moderate weather is a HUGE draw for CA, not matter how nuts the RE prices are....
Socketz, maybe years and years ago they were an hour away, but not now, it would take well over 2 hours (on a light traffic day to get to the beach from SB or Riverside. Riverside is about 50 miles from the closest beach, and you have the constanly jammed 91 to deal with there. San Bernardino, about 80 miles from the beach and the 10 freeway nightmare!
Not saying it never was a quicker trip, but now, no way!! There isn't a beach within a 120 miles of Bakersfield, Stockton, at least 100 miles. People live in Victorville because they can afford it. Not because they want to, as most of the places we have talked about here.
Again, most of us do not live an hour or less from the beach. You know living in SD, that the 78 fwy is a nightmare, so it can take forever just as inland as Escondido, to get to the water!
And most Californians cannot afford to live within and hour of the coast, or even two hours. The traffic makes the drive to the coast ridiculous, and the weather inland sucks! I too used to live in SD, then in North County, now I live in the High Desert, not where we wanted to live but the commute from Carlsbad to LAX was too much. We also have lived in Riverside, and SB... again, not because we wanted too.
Most of us cannot afford a $500,000 middle of the road house.

My point was and still is most Californians cannot afford to live near the ocean, and therefore don't. It is not all about sand and surf here, if it was, we all would not be leaving for something better. Ten years ago, I would not have had such a desire to leave, but within that amount of time, it has changed. Traffic is so much worse than ever before. When we moved to our current home, LAX was only 1 hour 20 min away, now it takes upwards of 3 hours sometimes longer. Yes, that is 75 miles in 3 hours!!! To see my Dad in Carlsbad it takes me over 5 hours to get there from here!
That is reality. I wish it wasn't. Gone are the days of California Dreamin'

Sorry, don't mean to harp, but there is a reason we are all leaving, right?

MBG

Last edited by midnightbirdgirl; 03-20-2007 at 12:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2007, 10:42 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,224,729 times
Exclamation Relocating to Dallas Area-where to live?

The crime rate in much of Dallas "proper" is bad! I would look at one of the northern suburbs of Dallas. I lived in Dallas for 10 years, suburbs for 11. I think it is much safer and better quality of life in the suburbs of Dallas.

Last edited by kaykay; 03-28-2007 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: clarify

Old 03-28-2007, 01:33 PM

5,787 posts, read 3,570,740 times
Dallas-Ft Worth has really come along in the public transit department in the last ten years - the DART. It's not as elaborate as SF's BART. Many stops are not sheltered from the elementsbut you do get an all day pass for $2.50, monthly pass of $40. And they do go out to Plano (second-tier suburb), with the Trinity River Express connecting the downtowns of Dallas & Ft Worth - including a stop near the airport (though you have to take a shuttle bus from that stop to the terminal). I find it a good deal for the price, and a lot more soothing on the nerves than driving that parking lo... uhhh... FREEWAYS

Old 03-29-2007, 08:32 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,400,505 times
2 hours from Riverside county ? OK. If you believe that.

I used to live in Chino Hills. I could go to Aliso Viejo beach and back with a stop for dinner in between within 2 hours.

I definitely wouldn't try this during weekday rush hour, but on Saturday morning, no way 2 hours.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:12 AM

1,082 posts, read 3,773,484 times
Socketz, I am talking now, it has changed, in the last five years alone traffic times have nearly doubled. The 91 is always a mess, the 15 and 78 a nightmare.
My brother lives in Riverside, my parents in Calrsbad, he rarely goes and sees them anymore because of the traffic...you can argue, but when was the last time you did the drive?
Yes, even Saturdays it is bad, especially once it warms up, because everybody wants to head to the beach.
Heavens why would I make this stuff up? What purpose would it serve?
MBG

Old 03-29-2007, 01:56 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,713,489 times
I can co-sign that every freeway out here, except maybe a couple I dont know, are jam packed on weekends. I go to school everyday of the week, and saturdays is soooooo bad on the 101. I started a sunday class that forced me to take the 101 and even on sunday it is packed. I now take the streets and cut my drive time in half. I get out of class at 9-10 weekdays and its still crowded for being so late. Its horrible. But for some reason, last night the streets were empty at 9. Maybe saw 50 cars every couple miles. Thats very few for out here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas