Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 09:57 PM

264 posts, read 1,184,036 times

Advertisements

We are most likely moving back to Dallas (I grew up in the area) after being away for almost 20 years. We would like to purchase a home in a close in suburb with good schools for our girls (Richardson is probably the most likely place), but we are interested in purchasing a lake cabin to get away to on the weekends. We will of couse consider Lake Texoma, Lake Travis (we lived in Austin for several years), and Possum Kingdom, but are there any other lakes within 3 or so hours from Dallas that we should look into? Lake Lewisville is waaayyy too much of a "scene" for us. We need something more laid back and family friendly. Is anyone familiar with Lake Whitney?
What lake is the best for swimming, fishing, boating, and just hanging out with the family?
Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2007, 07:47 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,758,591 times
I've seen Cedar Creek Lake mentioned, you should look into that. It's about hour or so southeast of the Dallas area.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:06 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,855,577 times
Lake Texhoma
Lake o the Pines
Lonestar Lake
Lake Tawakoni
Lake Fork
Richland Chambers Lake
Cedar Creek Lake
Lake Athens

Those are just a few that I would consider.

Old 03-19-2007, 12:13 PM

170 posts, read 846,944 times
There is also Joe Pool lake and Lake Lavon. Lake Ray Hubbard is pretty nice to.

If you don't mind driving, then Waco has a nice lake... I forget the name of it. But there are a number of cabin/houses on it's shores.

Old 03-19-2007, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embraer View Post
There is also Joe Pool lake and Lake Lavon. Lake Ray Hubbard is pretty nice to.

If you don't mind driving, then Waco has a nice lake... I forget the name of it. But there are a number of cabin/houses on it's shores.
But those lakes are ones that people in the Dallas metroplex LIVE on full time. They are not suited for a weekend lake property. Instead they consist of the typical Dallas subdivisions surrounding them not weekend lake cabins.

Old 03-19-2007, 03:04 PM

Thats true regarding Lake Ray Hubbard, I don't know about Joe Pool Lake other that it is located outside the metroplex.

Lake Lavon I do know pretty well. I'm not sure if people have cabins there or not but the area is far away enough from the city that I would imagine people have weekend houses there. I know many boat houses on that lake.

There are also various lakes in East Texas about 2 to 3 hours drive from Dallas which I know have cabins and ranches. My Aunt & Uncle own some land out near Winsboro which has many lakes nearby and cabins.

Old 03-19-2007, 03:59 PM

Lake Lavon is not a weekend destination lake. Never really has been. The people that have places on Lavon live there fulltime. It is close enough "in" to the city and w/ the growth in that area it is now a part of the greater Dallas metroplex. I can be there in 10 minutes so it is "in" and "close" to the city. Lavon, Murphy, Wylie, Nevada........ all have your typical Dallas area subdivisions going in. Plus that lake is SOOOO low right now that even if you did have a place on it you could not get a boat in it. Boathouses on Lake Lavon???? You sure your thinking about the right lake? Some boat ramps and a few piers but not boathouses. There is a baptist encampment on the lake.

Joe Pool is still another lake that is considered "in" the city, it is in Grand Prarie. Lake Dallas (Lewisville Lake for all you newbie's) has never been a weekend lake home lake either.

Old 03-19-2007, 07:16 PM

Hmm, maybe Lake Tawakoni then. That is about a 2 hour drive from Dallas.

Here is a link to some real estate listings I found for the lake:

http://www.century21upchurch.com/properties.php?tt=1

Old 03-20-2007, 08:19 AM

Lake Tawakoni has a few boat houses but most everyone has just a pier and a few have a ramp. We have a place on Tawakoni w/ a ramp and pier, both totally dry RAIN!RAIN!RAIN!RAIN! WE NEED RAIN!!! From Dallas you can be at Tawakoni in an hour easy. Cedar Creek is more like 2 hours depending on where your coming from in the metroplex. My grandparents used to have a place down there.

Old 03-20-2007, 09:40 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,098,508 times
Thumbs up Lake Granbury

Check out lake Granbury. There are several people living here with second homes on the lake. But I don't know of any "cabin" looking type homes but that doesn't mean they are not here. It's less then 2 hours away from Dallas. It is 30 minutes south west of Fort Worth. But this may not be the spot if you are looking for a real rural area, if you know what I mean. Just look into it and see if it's to your liking. It is mainly retirees and people owning second homes on the lake but of course there are others her also. There is a historical "Square" and entertainment aimed at the more mature crowd. Live plays at the Opera House, Riverboat, shopping at the square, dinning, antique shopping, stuff like that and of course the lake.
Have fun looking!

I wanted to add that alot of people have second homes here from the Dallas area. We have a neighbor living in the Dallas area and owns a home here on the lake.

Last edited by Roma; 03-20-2007 at 10:10 AM.. Reason: add something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas