Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2009, 12:47 PM

4 posts, read 16,556 times

Advertisements

Hi all, the advice on relocation here is great.. but it's giving me analysis paralysis... hubby and I can finally move anywhere we please and our top criteria are:
1-cost of living
2-climate
3-outdoor/nature
Moving out of Chicago **BRR** would love to settle down finally and start a family.
Would love the small-town feel with some land (1+acres) at least 1 hr from a major airport and heard so many good things about Dallas from prior business trips and northern cali is also beautiful. Obviously two totally different places but how to you finally make a decision? I've been reading threads for months and my heart goes pitter patter towards both sides. Any advice would be appreciated, esp from someone who's done a cross-country move like this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 01:04 PM

446 posts, read 1,006,325 times
I've lived in both places. If you want to settle down and start a family on 1+ acres, that's Dallas. If you want to hike and bike in beautiful nature with lovely weather, that's California.

Or let's put it another way. If you want to roast half the year and drown/freeze half the year (although nothing like Chicago), that's Dallas. If you want to live in a teeny apartment and worry about money all the time, that's California.

Everything's a compromise, unfortunately. I suggest a weight-ranked pro-con list, which you will ignore once you make a gut decision.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:11 PM

587 posts, read 1,625,733 times
I agree with debtex in alot of ways. The weather in Dallas is great Oct - April and HOT the rest of the year! Also, not alot of hiking, nature, etc. (though you can find some - certainly not as beautiful or easy to access as N. Cali). In terms of cost of living, though, there would be no comparison. Dallas = low cost of Living, CA = high cost of living. If it was me, I'd get a smaller home in N. Cali because I think it would give you what you're looking for in terms of outdoor lifestyle, but if you really want the big house, etc. - then you'll probably find Dallas a better fit. Agree with debtex that you will need to weigh out the factors, but go with your gut in the end. Best of Luck!!!

Old 02-03-2009, 01:21 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,172,928 times
Do you really think May and June are that hot in Dallas? September maybe, because you are tired of August and July. But it's also football season and the start of the State Fair. Not so bad if you ask me.

This winter has been colder than others. But only one ice event and that wasn't much. Usually we have to worry about the trees and plants budding out too soon this time of year. I love to visit N. California but I am not sure I would want to live there. A lot of pressure to fit in politically and people judging you as a hick if you don't agree. Not a problem here in the city of Dallas - most like the diversity of opinions.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:22 PM

6,823 posts, read 14,039,451 times
Dallas wins number one by a mile. I would have to 2&3 to northern CA. The cost of living would be a huge factor for me so I am sure I would settle for Dallas. I can find places in DFW to hike and bike ride. It's hot as hell 3 months out of the year but the rest is pretty good. What you want find in DFW is a 1975 1,600 sqft ranch fixer upper for $700,000. I will take that trade off everyday of the week.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:15 PM

4 posts, read 16,556 times
Thank you for the help everyone.. feels like back to the drawing board.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:17 PM

66 posts, read 242,928 times
price range would be a big decision maker! $500,000 gets you an awesome house and maybe even a water or pond view in areas around Dallas, but gets you pretty much nothing in Cali. Don't get me wrong, I like Cali--enjoyed San Francisco and Napa this last Summer, HOWEVER, I went over Labor Day and it was just as hot in Cali! 93 in San Francisco, and 100 degrees in Napa!

Old 02-11-2009, 08:41 AM

436 posts, read 1,614,366 times
actually, I would recommend the hill country outside of san antonio or austin... take a look at boerne, fair oaks ranch, dripping springs, etc. all within 30-40 minutes of an airport, but not a lot of airport noise, beautiful scenery, affordable cost of living, etc. feel free to pm me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas