Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 04:55 PM

5 posts, read 8,211 times

Advertisements

I've lived primarily in three places in my life: Philadelphia, Paris, and Boston. I am liberal, agnostic, and because of my years in France have a fairly European sensibility. I like old buildings with history and to be able to walk and not need a car to get around (I have one, but I prefer to be able to walk to the store, restaurant, theatre, etc.).

Will this work in Dallas or is it not at all a good fit? And is there a decent area in the city where rents are no more than $1600 or so per month for a two or possibly three bedroom place? I have a small child, so a park in the area would be a big plus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 05:01 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,675,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibiche View Post
I've lived primarily in three places in my life: Philadelphia, Paris, and Boston. I am liberal, agnostic, and because of my years in France have a fairly European sensibility. I like old buildings with history and to be able to walk and not need a car to get around (I have one, but I prefer to be able to walk to the store, restaurant, theatre, etc.).

Will this work in Dallas or is it not at all a good fit? And is there a decent area in the city where rents are no more than $1600 or so per month for a two or possibly three bedroom place? I have a small child, so a park in the area would be a big plus.
If you are the kind of east coast liberal that fancies themselves as the tolerant and open minded type, but then looks down their nose at those who think or live differently than you then it may not work.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:02 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,462,012 times
You would need to come to Dallas with the mindset of "and now for something completely different...."

Old 02-07-2009, 05:14 PM

5 posts, read 8,211 times
I don't really care what other people do as long as they don't bother me and/or proselytize. I'm just trying to figure out if I can have a comfortable life in Dallas, and if my young child will be ostracized because he has long hair, speaks French, and likes frog's legs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
If you are the kind of east coast liberal that fancies themselves as the tolerant and open minded type, but then looks down their nose at those who think or live differently than you then it may not work.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:31 PM

869 posts, read 2,954,525 times
We don't ostracize kids because they habla espanol, so I don't see why speaking French would be a problem...long hair seems to be the in thing for all the kids now days...it's like the 70s are happening all over again!!!

oh...now the frog legs might get his butt kicked...can't he just eat chicken???

Old 02-07-2009, 05:50 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,675,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibiche View Post
I don't really care what other people do as long as they don't bother me and/or proselytize. I'm just trying to figure out if I can have a comfortable life in Dallas, and if my young child will be ostracized because he has long hair, speaks French, and likes frog's legs.
Attitude is everything when moving to a new place, especially one that might have different social norms than what you are used to. If you are ok that there will probably be more relatively conservative people around than what you are used to and you won't judge people based on that, then you should be fine. Dallas is predominantly a "suburban" city, so while you will find pockets of east coast style urban living it is not the norm.

As far as your your child being ostracized, well, kids can be cruel anywhere they go. He may find more acceptance in a private school, but again that's a hard one to predict. Plenty of kids get picked on in private schools and have tough experiences, while plenty of public school kids to just fine.

Overall my wife and I (I am from Los Angeles, my wife is from NYC and we currently live in the Washington, DC area) really enjoyed our time in Dallas and left only for a job opportunity. But we enjoyed it because we didn't try to always compare it to NY or California. If you dive in to what Dallas and Texas have to offer and not dwell on what they do not, you should have a pretty good shot at a nice life there.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:02 PM

492 posts, read 961,907 times
Quote:
Will this work in Dallas or is it not at all a good?
Well, like they say, 'if you've got to ask then it's probly not for you'.

I've lived in NYC and Lisbon and learned english as a foreign language. Dallas is okay with me.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:12 PM

176 posts, read 541,858 times
You'll be just fine in the city- but I am not too sure about going suburban. Plenty of East-Coasters, Liberals, and Agnostics ' round here (I am one of them). Plenty of Europeans as well.
You will find that no one in Dallas proper cares about your religion, and your politics will be more in line with the typical city resident than you think. In my neighborhood, I did not see a single McCain sign and Obamas were everywhere. Yes- it is a Red state, but it is a Blue city.
You will find many are annoyed with the idea that you would announce yourself as a Liberal. Everytime I have seen someone do so, he/she got a bit of flack from the boards. It seems that "live and let live" is such a part of the culture here that thinking you would be rejected because of your views has a rather perplexing effect. It makes people reject you for thinking you might be rejected by them for your views. Does that make sense? If it does- welcome to Dallas' true tolerance. I think you'll like it here.
Not a lot of old buildings, along the lines of East Coast stuff, but still some nice history. Try Deep Ellum for history (esp. old Blues-Era), Uptown (for that Boston brownstone feel), Junius Heights (Bungalow Heaven)--- and they are all in your price range.
I had a lot of negative preconceptions. None of them were true. (OK- one was sorta true-- there are schools that have defacto segregation)

Old 02-07-2009, 09:19 PM

20 posts, read 42,402 times
I agree with RB4... Open minded liberals who need to lecture everyone about gun control, being a vegan and how going to church is a waste of time, would not get along well anywhere in Texas with the exception of isolated pockets of Austin.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:18 PM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,392,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
You would need to come to Dallas with the mindset of "and now for something completely different...."
Well said! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas