Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 03:31 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,978,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
The arrogance of George Bush has cost precious lives, treasure, public confidence and American good will around the globe.
From his delayed fly-over of New Orleans in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina to his refusal to listen to the likes of Colin Powell on the dangers of going to war in Iraq, Bush’s arrogance has been catastrophic to our nation. Bush’s narcissism and self centered personality flaws is borderline psychotic. The damage to those who suffered from Bush’s impairment is incalculable.
It’s not just the dead and wounded from his “I’ll prove Daddy was wrong” war in Iraq, but also the resulting financial burden his refusal to pay for this folly will have on every child in America. His arrogant disregard for massive deficits resulting from tax cuts for his rich friends (remember when Bush jokingly referred to his rich friends as ‘my base’…it was no joke) has added more red ink to the nation’s accounts then all Democratic presidents in history combined!
Arrogance may be justified in successful presidents with concrete results to justify certain haughtiness, but with an incompetent chief executive like George Bush such unjustified egotism can adversely affect millions.

The hurtful thing to Dallas will not be him moving here. Nobody would blame Dallas for that. ...What hurts is that his Library with a partisan think tank attached to it, ( The only Presidential Library in the USA allowed by the University to do this) will sully the reputation of SMU. Already, seeing it's ratings drop year by year. Led by a Bush donating, Dallas car dealer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 03:46 PM

100 posts, read 392,322 times
Wow. It would be cool to have an ex-president as a neighbor.......Who am I kidding? I could never afford live in a neighborhood like that!

I'd welcome any ex-president to my neighborhood. Regardless of what you think about him, W deserves respect. George and Laura seems like they'd be very cool neighbors other than the occasional secret service annoyance. I could see why the neighborhood would want to have a gate installed to hopefully discourage traffic.

They are not selling the ranch in Crawford, are they? That place has some historical significance now.

Doesn't George H.W. Bush and Barbara live in Texas, too?

Old 02-09-2009, 04:01 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,978,392 times
Regardless of what you think about him, W deserves respect.

Really? Regardless of what a President does he "deserves" respect?

I was under the impression you earned respect and that it was not possible in America to be above disrespect just because of your station in life?

Old 02-09-2009, 05:38 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,761,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
The arrogance of George Bush has cost precious lives, treasure, public confidence and American good will around the globe.
From his delayed fly-over of New Orleans in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina to his refusal to listen to the likes of Colin Powell on the dangers of going to war in Iraq, Bush’s arrogance has been catastrophic to our nation. Bush’s narcissism and self centered personality flaws is borderline psychotic. The damage to those who suffered from Bush’s impairment is incalculable.
It’s not just the dead and wounded from his “I’ll prove Daddy was wrong” war in Iraq, but also the resulting financial burden his refusal to pay for this folly will have on every child in America. His arrogant disregard for massive deficits resulting from tax cuts for his rich friends (remember when Bush jokingly referred to his rich friends as ‘my base’…it was no joke) has added more red ink to the nation’s accounts then all Democratic presidents in history combined!
Arrogance may be justified in successful presidents with concrete results to justify certain haughtiness, but with an incompetent chief executive like George Bush such unjustified egotism can adversely affect millions.
Rep +1

Old 02-09-2009, 05:58 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
The hurtful thing to Dallas will not be him moving here. Nobody would blame Dallas for that. ...What hurts is that his Library with a partisan think tank attached to it, ( The only Presidential Library in the USA allowed by the University to do this) will sully the reputation of SMU. Already, seeing it's ratings drop year by year. Led by a Bush donating, Dallas car dealer.
I wasn't aware SMU had much of a reputation to begin with...

Its not even listed on Kiplingers top 50 best private colleges in the nation. Rice however is number 4. I'm sure Bush Sr. has donated thousands if not millions to that school over the years.

http://www.kiplinger.com/tools/privatecolleges/privatecollege.php?schoollist=prv_univ&sortby=RANK &orderby=flip&states (broken link)[]=ALL&myschool[]=none&outputby=table

Old 02-09-2009, 07:04 PM

10 posts, read 29,519 times
Metro Matt,

Who cares what rankings are for "best private college by value"? Any top public university would be an even better value but value isn't relevant when discussing prestige of universities. USNEWS rankings are what people in the know look to. Just my two cents.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:10 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
How do you come to this conclusion? The Carter Library in Atlanta with links to Emory University (Methodist church connections, same as SMU) is not partisan?

Old 02-10-2009, 03:10 PM

184 posts, read 551,763 times
I am bookmarking this thread.

The next time somebody on this forum tries to tell an out-of-stater about how liberal Dallas is, and how it voted for Obama in the last election..blah, blah...

The link to this thread will be all the response needed. I have always said that no matter how loud some people around these forums scream about how Dallas is this or that...the reality is a different story.

On that same note: I will also keep various links to stories the Observer has run lately about how UN-UBRBAN and AUTO ORIENTED Dallas is as a city....next time somebody wants to make the claim that Dallas is a mini New York where you can walk everywhere

Old 02-10-2009, 03:36 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Whatever. I think you are getting Dallas confused with its suburbs full of people from other places.

For the record I did not vote for Bush but I welcome him back to Dallas. That's just being decent - what would you have us do, have a public lynching?

Old 02-10-2009, 03:45 PM

686 posts, read 2,436,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambassador View Post
I am bookmarking this thread.

The next time somebody on this forum tries to tell an out-of-stater about how liberal Dallas is, and how it voted for Obama in the last election..blah, blah...

The link to this thread will be all the response needed. I have always said that no matter how loud some people around these forums scream about how Dallas is this or that...the reality is a different story.
Well, Dallas did vote for Obama! Nobody said Dallas didn't have conservative enclaves like Preston Hollow. Obviously there were people that voted for McCain. Also, it's really funny that you think the few people who post in this forum represent the millions of people that live in the Dallas area....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas