Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2009, 08:44 PM

19 posts, read 96,126 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

Let me start by saying that this is a great site and was very influential in my decision making process when it came time to relocate. I recently moved to Allen in October after 4 years in Las Vegas. Once my wife and I began having children, we decided Las Vegas wasn't the right fit for our growing family. We spent our entire lives before that in the New Orleans area and miss it dearly. We are happy to say that we really like (borderline Love) Allen and are begining to consider where to buy a house.

When we made our wish list it was: (in no order)
1) very convinient access to interstate 75.
2) Hopefully west of 75.
3) stay on the southern part of Allen (Bethany, Leacy, Mcdermot area)
4) A kid friendly neighboorhood. Schools, Parks, Green areas nearby
5) a return to New Orleans charm/ charecter in architecture. Not entirely crazy about the enourmous brick fortresses found all over collin county
6) 4-5 bedrooms, 2400-2500 sqft. One story is a must
7) Good schools

We couldn't believe it when we stumbled across the "vintage" style homes in montgomery park. WE LOVE IT!!! Absolutely LOVED IT!!! But sadly, Its essentially sold out. Then the love started to fade when we went to the Darling Homes website to investigate. We found it to be uncomfortably pricey. We have been severly burned with our property in Vegas. In, fact, we are 180K upside on it and cant afford to sell it. So considering another overpriced home is "a no can do".

I thought 250-300k would be enough for what I wanted. But they are asking in the 350-450 range. And before you ask, I dont know what I would qualify for yet. I will speak to a lender this week. Our crediit scores are 800 and we both have pretty good incomes. I am a Home health physical therapist, and My wife is temporarily staying at home with 2 small kids. She is a Veterinarian by profession. The scar is our outstanding debt on our Las Vegas home.

Question Is: Is there anywhere else that has the same "vintage feel" nearby without the sticker shock?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 07:56 AM

32 posts, read 85,466 times
Default Vintage style homes

There are three such villages in Stonebridge Ranch in McKinney - all with Darling homes - called Regents Park, Mayberry Park and Freedom Park. The prices are considerably lower than Montgomery Farms (most under 300K) but some of the homes are up to 7 years old but some have same floor plan as Montgomery Farms' homes. I live in Regents Park and it has the really old town feel with a square and gazebo area that is used by the kids and adults in the village. I also am from New Orleans and did not want a brick box style home. Was delighted to discover the neighborhood has a Mardi Gras parade for the kids.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:14 AM

583 posts, read 2,634,126 times
A few resales in Mayberry & Freedom Park I believe have popped up for less than $300K. Check the ebby web site (ebby.com). It is only about 20-25 minutes away from the Allen area. From my house in Mckinney I can make it to the Watters Crossing shopping in 20 minutes.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:45 PM

19 posts, read 96,126 times
Thanks for the replies. I spoke with a realtor recently and she mentioned the developments in McKinney as well. It's a bit too far for me. I do home health in Dallas. The travel time would kill my productivity. Allen is about as far north as I want to look for now. Is there any other neighborhoods that might have the same kinda vibe outside of Mckinney?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas