U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 08:27 AM

17 posts, read 27,915 times

Advertisements

My car was broken into in front of my house in Carrollton, as was a neighbor's car. They took my gps. Be careful! Don't leave anything of value in view (Duh)! I just moved here and overestimated the safety of my street! According to the cop who filed my report there were several other break-ins in the neighborhood lastnight. Just an FYI.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 08:38 AM

33,347 posts, read 52,850,396 times
my son lived in two apt complexes in Carrollton over past couple of years--he had his car stolen out of the parking lot after it was broken in--that particular trio was caught--and he recovered his car because it had Lo-Jak on it--but inside was really trashed
other cars were broken into -- complexes were not gated--but don't know that makes that much of a difference...
just think it is not very nice area and is going downhill...

Old 02-17-2009, 08:55 AM

126 posts, read 317,276 times
Default What part?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kverde18 View Post
My car was broken into in front of my house in Carrollton, as was a neighbor's car. They took my gps. Be careful! Don't leave anything of value in view (Duh)! I just moved here and overestimated the safety of my street! According to the cop who filed my report there were several other break-ins in the neighborhood lastnight. Just an FYI.
What part of Carrollton is this in?

Old 02-17-2009, 09:21 AM

7,638 posts, read 12,879,374 times
Here at our dealership in Lewisville, we've had numerous calls for wheels from customers in the Carrollton/Coppell/Lewisville area.

Last edited by little elmer; 02-17-2009 at 09:21 AM.. Reason: I'll keep editing until I learn how to spell...

Old 02-17-2009, 12:37 PM

563 posts, read 3,584,053 times
A GPS in the car - especially a windshield mounted one - is asking for trouble even in a parking lot somewehre 'safe'. The car break ins are a huge problem for Eastern Carrollton and everyone seems to have their 'I parked in front of the house instead of the garage one night' stories about break ins. What's more scary to me is two stories I've heard about people just walking into the house via the gate to the back yard and via the unlocked back door in Broad Daylight and robbing people in the home!

Old 02-17-2009, 12:54 PM

37 posts, read 129,840 times
I wouldn’t let it affect your feeling of safety too much. Just don’t leave anything in your car. Auto burglary is almost always accompanied by poor decisions of the car owner and it happens everywhere. In a very short period of time you can canvass a small area and easily score hundreds of dollars of quickly resellable / pawnable stuff. If you go into a nicer neighborhood, you’ll be more likely to find the good stuff (like your GPS, or ipods, radar detectors, phones, guns, computers, or tools).

Old 02-17-2009, 07:02 PM

33,347 posts, read 52,850,396 times
Frankly I WOULD let it affect my feelings of safety--especially if I happened to come outside or drive up and see some of these bozos in action--and you know it will affect your insurance if enough people report thefts to cause a raise in rates...

frankly saying that people are responsible for getting their stuff stolen because THEY don't make an effort to hide it---that is shifting reponsibility folks ...don't mean to be rude/offensive to you RN but I should be able to leave my car unlocked with money visible inside and NOT have it stolen--nothing gives people the RIGHT to steal
I know that is old-fashioned, totally unrealistic thinking, and not smart to do --but you imply almost a tacit complicity when someone leaves personal property in plain sight...like they deserve to have their stuff stolen because they were less than perfect in hiding it away...I don't agree with that at all...

frankly I hate having the alleys in back of homes because it makes it so difficult for neighbors to see what is going on -- even in communities where there are front garages with gated drives you can still usually see/hear better than with alleys...

Old 02-18-2009, 09:00 AM

37 posts, read 129,840 times
You’re right, nobody deserves to get robbed. I guess I’ve just given up on the hope of any community police department to get a solid handle on auto burglary. The cops seem to blame it on victim carelessness and unfortunately I guess I’ve bought into that. The police and media often even refer to them as “petty crimes” ... like its ok or something.

In certain cases property or victims are selected as a target for some specific reason and it is almost unavoidable. In most cases burglars and muggers are simply looking for the easiest target. ... Make sure your car, home, and person are not that easy target.

I think like a thief and see dozens of easy targets every day for auto burglary, purse theft, gadget theft, atm muggings, etc. None of those people deserve to get robbed but it amazes me how many people are oblivious to their valuables and surroundings.

After that long ass rant you can see that it really honestly pisses me off how careless people are (and sometimes I feel the need to educate perfect strangers on the spot), but at the same time I guess it adds a comfortable feeling that my observation, caution, and presence makes me the least likely target in nearly any environment.

And with all that boasting, I’m probably the next to get jacked! Crap.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:41 AM

563 posts, read 3,584,053 times
I think that doing the common sense thing to keep your property safe in a big city is just that - common sense. If you are living in a small town I can see leaving your car or front door unlocked. I used to do just that until we moved down here. It is not complicity or shifting responsibility to the victim to say that you need to be more careful with your car, gps, purse, etc. It is a fact of life of living down here. It is the same way in chicago or NYC.
I don't think anyone thinks that if you are daft enough to not be careful then you deserve to be robbed!! The logic is more that one should wise up since safety and morality is not a given around here.
It is sad but living in denial is only going to make you very frustrated - and make you an easy target

Old 02-18-2009, 01:15 PM

16,086 posts, read 38,651,761 times
You can shoot someone breaking into your car in Texas now..right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas