Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2009, 09:42 PM

26 posts, read 126,856 times

Advertisements

Hello, My family and I are moving to Dallas this spring. The job will be in Rockwall. Is Rockwall a nice place for a family? How about Garland? Any advice would be great. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 02:06 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,818,804 times
Rockwall and Garland are apples to oranges and most is going to depend on price range. Rockwall, overall, has become a more expensive place than Garland... Garland is much closer to Dallas and other area shopping. What are your priorities?

Old 02-18-2009, 05:07 AM

342 posts, read 685,776 times
how ironic, im from houston and ive actually lived in both towns and went to high school in both towns. for schools i would have to say rockwall has the better school, very advanced and will well prepare you for college. rockwall i think overall is the better city, but it depends on what pricing range you are in. on the other hand garland has nice areas especially in the firewheel area, but other than that it just looks old or a city that use to thrive in the 80's or something. the only plus with garland its close to dallas and its dallas county, while rockwall is its own county. one thing thats bad in both towns, are the police very pathetic and petty, being from houston. where the police dont harrass you for petty things because theres alot to do was somwthing i was use to but when i lived in both counties the cops are a joke where the objective is to make money for the county before actually fighting real crime. so please beware and dont be suprised if you find yourself being pulled over for being out past 10pm.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:29 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,891,424 times
I'd pick Rockwall if all things were equal, but the big question is where will you be working? Rockwall is a bit further away from most commerical areas, so your commute may be longer.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:04 AM

6,822 posts, read 14,041,292 times
Well for me a better comparison would be Rockwall or North Garland. All being equal and my job being located in Rockwall would steer me toward Rockwall. It is growing by leaps and bounds and they have good schools. This is not a knock on Garland but living and working in the same town would be blessing in my eye.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:44 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,534,593 times
My advise don't rule out Rowlett, they do have good schools and there will be the 190 to connect Rowlett and Rockwall. If Garland is a place of interest stick with North East Garland Firewheel area.

Rockwall is WAY to over priced, and to snotty for me. But, shopping is good if you have extra $$ to buy those $300.00 jeans.

Also, if you can't afford the $300.00 jeans for your son or daughter to go to school in, or that new BMW @ 16, or those designer sunglasses then don't do Rockwall schools. Or your child will be picked on. It's like Beverly Hills 90210, if your parents are not elite then your children are not either.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:22 PM

23 posts, read 96,313 times
Quote:
Also, if you can't afford the $300.00 jeans for your son or daughter to go to school in, or that new BMW @ 16, or those designer sunglasses then don't do Rockwall schools. Or your child will be picked on. It's like Beverly Hills 90210, if your parents are not elite then your children are not either.
I went to high school in Garland, and It was like that there, too. I think you've just described high school in general.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:40 PM

468 posts, read 1,887,539 times
Rockwall without question. I fully disagree with the comments made by the Proud Rowlett Owner. You will find the 90210 crowd in many schools. My son and his family just moved from Garland because of the poor schools. (They moved to Wylie) I rather deal with the 90210 types, what little there are of that, than have my child receive a third world quality education and my property values fall still further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas