Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Adjusting to Texas schools, teaching for tests, good schools on paper, high test scores, family not adjusting to schools well, not challenging

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 09:45 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times

Advertisements

TRACYR13--I am TX schools all the way and think I got a good education even coming from very small town public schools and a small liberal arts college ...graduated in '66 so I am decidedly old school...I learned to write a research paper when I was in 7th grade...but I taught with several people that I am certain are pretty incapable of writing their own research papers much less teaching/grading their students...

most people (parents/students/educators) don't put much value in writing a research paper -- not because TAKS does not ask for it--but because BUSINESS does not value it...which I don't think is necessarily the case at all..

and most English teachers who CAN teach how to write a research or analysis paper--don't have the time to really teach or grade them the way they should be done--

this skill can't wait for high school to be taught--it needs to start in elementary school so that students learn how to synthesize information and judge valid from invalid source materials and integrate that 3rd party info with their own insights in a logical and creative way...
but here again, many elementary teachers do not have the ability to write any better than their students...
if schools are willing to accept crap, then that is what students will produce...most schools do not have the money, time, staff to do the intensive teaching necessary to teach quality writing...and most parents don't understand how their children are being shortchanged in the process...

I can think of why this type of logical, reasoned thinking and judgement would be the least desired skills that some groups of our society would want to inculcate in young people...

having a population that is illogical, non-analytic, used to half-measures and half-truths, and unable to see though media marketswell seems to be the type of voter that has been the hallmark of American society for past 20 years---government funds education--why would they want to break the cycle of ignorance now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 10:00 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
I don't think TAAS testing started with No Child Left Behind--
TAAS started after Ross Perot became head of education committee that set the No Pass-No Play standard--meaning that athletics took a backseat to education for the first time in TX....
No Pass No Play - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
this is that TEA has to say about the history of testing--
http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/student.assessment/resources/techdig02/chap1.pdf (broken link)

No child left behind is omitted from that because it was not a national law until after Bush was president in 2001
No Child Left Behind Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and took this info from site with general history of NCLB act

The 670-page No Child Left Behind Act of 2001 (NCLB) was passed with strong bipartisan backing by the House of Representatives on December 13, 2001 by a vote of 381-41, and by the Senate on December 18, 2001 by a vote of 87-10. President George W. Bush signed it into law on January 8, 2002.
The primary sponsors of NCLB were President George W. Bush and Sen. Ted Kennedy of Massachusetts, a decades-long advocate for raising the quality of public education for all American children.

NCLB was partially based on education reform strategies instituted by President Bush during his tenure as Texas governor. Those Texas education reforms were reputed to result in improved standardized test scores. Subsequent inquiry revealed test-rigging by some educators and administrators.

Margaret Spellings, Secretary of Education
One of the principal authors of NCLB was Margaret Spellings, who was nominated to Secretary of Education in late 2004.

Spellings, who holds a B.A. in political science from University of Houston, was the political director for Bush's first gubernatorial campaign in 1994, and later served as a senior advisor to Texas Gov. Bush during his term as 1995 to 2000.

Before her association with George W. Bush, Spellings worked on an education reform commission under Texas Governor William P. Clements and as associate executive director for the Texas Association of School Boards. Prior to her nomination to be Education Secretary, Margaret Spellings worked for the Bush Administration as Assistant to the President for Domestic Policy.

Margaret Spellings has never worked in a school system, and has no formal training in education.

She is married to Robert Spellings, former Chief of Staff to the Speaker of the Texas House, now a prominent attorney in Austin, Texas and Washington D.C., who has actively lobbied for the adoption of school vouchers.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:09 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HealthInfoTech View Post
Sorry to hear of your experience. But, I have to say, it seems to me "teaching to the test" is happening in many places --- including Northern Virginia (NOVA) (they call it SOL testing here, for Standard of Learning)! I actually live in Northern Virginia, and although I think the school systems as a whole here are good, I won't kid myself to thinking that they don't teach to the test here, too. Because they sure enough do! There is a lot of pressure (unfortunately) from the "boards of education" in school districts across the country for high test scores. So, teachers and prinicipals, unfortunately, have to focus their energies on meeting some pre-set standard about testing or they risk getting funding for their school (trust me, I've done enough battles here to know what I am talking about). This again, unfortunately, is happening in many school districts across the country. Texas, Virginia, wherever. If your child does not meet some sort of "cookie cutter" mode of a student (too smart, too slow, not "special needs" enough), it's a battle and a number of disappointments for the parent.

It's my experience that as a parent, you just have to try to be the best advocate for your kids' education, regardless of where you are. Northern Virginia, included!
of course most states are teaching to the tests, you are right. I agree with the responsder who mentioned the SAT?ACT scores as a good guidleline and I know many kids in the Flower Mound area that did execptionally well on the SAT tests.

For the person who mentioned Texas doesn't have any world class universities. How many states would fall into a similar group and what about UT and AandM? Both are outstanding schools as is TCU and SMU.

Nita

Old 05-22-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
Is there a negative reputation button?

UT Austin has been ranked as high as #15 IN THE WORLD by the Times Higher Education Supplement, which is one of the world's most well-regarded university rankings. For public schools, only Cal-Berkeley consistently ranks ahead of UT, with Michigan, UNC, and UVA also ranking ahead of Texas in some polls.

UT is not "just above average" in the national and world scale--it is a world class university in every sense of the phrase.
boy, I wish there was; if the Texas schools are so bad, how come my one garndddaughter was been persued by so many eastern schools when she was a jr and senior? Her SAT scores were good, but certainly not outstanding. Many of her friends and her sisters friends as well as both of them got part scholareships.

I think I have one more thing to mention here and then I will let this die: why do we all think every child belongs in college anyway and why do we think gifted kids need to be stimulated by the schools? Not only is one of our daughters very gifted (mom of the two kids I am talking about) many of her friends were as well and so are many of her daughters friends. They were able to acheive by pushing themselves as well as taking AP classes all through high school.

Nita

Old 05-22-2009, 05:18 PM

254 posts, read 983,207 times
Having visited several schools in the dfw metroplex, I will say that academics seem to be second to sports namely football. I have been quite shocked in my school visits as counselors, etc..go on and on about their sports programs and facilities, without a mention of academic programs. I had heard that sports were of utmost importance but I didnt really believe it. Now that we are in the process of relocating, I see that its true. Its very sad to me.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:23 PM

587 posts, read 1,625,376 times
In answer to your question about what kids do after the TAKS test, the answer is - they watch movies, chat, play kickball, etc. - do all the things they couldn't do when they were learning to take the test/practicing tests, etc. Unfortunately, by that time the teatchers are so burnt out and ready for summer that they just relax and take the long slide toward summer. Not much learning happening in the last month here.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:11 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,425 times
TAAS was the second high stakes test Texas had; the first was called TEAMS.

I took TAAS in 3rd grade and I believe 4th grade as well, and then TAKS until I left public school. So that means TAKS came out around 2000 or 2001, even before NCLB came around or just after.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:59 PM

424 posts, read 1,817,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
TRACYR13-- if schools are willing to accept crap, then that is what students will produce...most schools do not have the money, time, staff to do the intensive teaching necessary to teach quality writing...and most parents don't understand how their children are being shortchanged in the process...

I can think of why this type of logical, reasoned thinking and judgement would be the least desired skills that some groups of our society would want to inculcate in young people...

having a population that is illogical, non-analytic, used to half-measures and half-truths, and unable to see though media marketswell seems to be the type of voter that has been the hallmark of American society for past 20 years---government funds education--why would they want to break the cycle of ignorance now...
This can apply to math and science as well. This is precisely why we can't seem to produce enough people to be scientists, computer scientists, physicians and dentists here in the US and we need to insource them from Arab nations, India, etc. I'll bet only 1/2 to 1/3 of medical/dental students are actually from America! At least they can do English, Math and Science. Their cultures truly value education. It's a sad state of affairs for us native to America. It all comes down to regurgitation of a TAKS test to determine if we will be successful. HMMM; does India have TAKS tests? BTW: My old Alma Mater had a saying about elementary education: When one has exhausted all other majors due to academic inadequacies, there is always elementary education! I know this is not always true, but unfortunately now there is a glut of poor performing teachers taking up spaces for the highly effective ones!

I have met awesome teachers and just this past year had an awful experience with the worst ee teacher EVER to roam this earth...and she had a master's degree

Last edited by catluvr; 05-25-2009 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 05-25-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincylifer View Post
Having visited several schools in the dfw metroplex, I will say that academics seem to be second to sports namely football. I have been quite shocked in my school visits as counselors, etc..go on and on about their sports programs and facilities, without a mention of academic programs. I had heard that sports were of utmost importance but I didnt really believe it. Now that we are in the process of relocating, I see that its true. Its very sad to me.
I think that is just plainly not the case, maybe you have watched too much "Friday Night Lights" Have you visited schools in Plano, Southlake, Carroll, Carrollton, Flower Mound, or Coppell or Grapevine, just to mention a few? If you have, which ones did you visit? I can not believe any counselor at any of the above highschools districts sat and talked to you about the sports programs and not the academic programs, all of these districts are very pround of their schools achievements..

Nita

Old 05-25-2009, 08:35 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think that is just plainly not the case, maybe you have watched too much "Friday Night Lights" Have you visited schools in Plano, Southlake, Carroll, Carrollton, Flower Mound, or Coppell or Grapevine, just to mention a few? If you have, which ones did you visit? I can not believe any counselor at any of the above highschools districts sat and talked to you about the sports programs and not the academic programs, all of these districts are very pround of their schools achievements..

Nita
Terrible examples. Plano ISD and Southlake Carroll are football powerhouses who care about their sports programs very much. Look at the budgets--football is absolutely a HUGE HUGE HUGE expense at these schools. They are good at academics, yes, but football is absolutely the most important thing. If you asked people in the community if they'd rather be exemplary or win state in football, they are going to say they want to win state.

It is not a little too Friday Night Lights--the fact is that at 95% of schools in Texas, football is king and is the most important thing. Football brings lots of $$$ into the coffers as well.

And Southlake and Carroll are the same thing--it's Carroll ISD and the schools are located in the town of Southlake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas