Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 12:51 PM

159 posts, read 277,730 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband and I are moving to Dallas at the end of this year and I've received some moving quotes from Bekin/Berger and Allied and I was wondering if anyone has used either one for their move and if so what was the quality of service. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 06:28 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
I think Commerce dept keeps reviews/records on interstate moving companies

have you tried a google search for moving company reviews or something like that

Old 02-21-2009, 08:36 PM

159 posts, read 277,730 times
I have tried googling the companies but all I found was negative reviews and I have a hard time believing that everyone has a bad experience yet continue to use the companies. I'd like to know of anyone has had any positive interstate moves.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:13 AM

53 posts, read 251,164 times
Default Moovers Inc + Golden Express for car

We recently moved from SF to Dallas. I have to say that I'm quite picky with my stuff and wanted a very reliable mover. After a lot of research on the web (one useful site is Moving: How to avoid Moving Company Scams), we went with Moovers Inc.

Extremely impressed with this company. These guys have moving down to a science... the same two guys who moved my stuff in CA drove the truck and met me in Dallas. They said they would be the only ones who touch my stuff and I could see that they were careful with the stuff. They first made an inventory of items (and put stickers with running numbers on each item). Though it seems like common sense, they hand weigh the boxes and ensure that the heaviest ones are placed at the bottom. Communication was great through the move. Only minor hiccup was misplaced the screws for my bed frame but guess what.. they subtracted $20 from the move for this! It cost me only like $5 at Home Depot.

And, I almost forgot, they made an initial inspection of inventory a week or two before the move and gave me a binding estimate. Turned out that my stuff weighed 1000 pounds over their estimate but they honored their initial estimate.

Anyways, let me know if you have any questions.

Ps: for moving our car, we used Golden Key Express. I got a quote of $475 from DAS and still went ahead with GKE for $875 as having a car in a new city was critical ... I didn't have the time or the energy to deal with issues like car damage etc... long distance moving is stressful enough.

Last edited by sftransplant; 04-03-2009 at 05:43 AM..

Old 04-03-2009, 07:06 AM

1,172 posts, read 2,633,022 times
We used PODS and the service went real smooth. None of our items were thrown around etc.
This is how we did everything: We set up a date for pods to drop of one of their pods. We then called a local moving company to show up on that date and move all the items into the pod (About $150). We then put a lock on it and they picked it up the next day.

Then we had a car mover pick up our car. It was $700 for that. We then drove the other car to our new home in Dallas. We then called another moving company here to send 2 guys out ($125) and they unloaded everything. It was an extremely smooth process!

The POD charge was about $2800.00 which was a bit high but worth every penny. Also, we got to write it off when we did our taxes.

If you have any question PM me. I can surely give you more advice. We thought everything through pretty well.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sftransplant View Post
We recently moved from SF to Dallas. I have to say that I'm quite picky with my stuff and wanted a very reliable mover. After a lot of research on the web (one useful site is Moving: How to avoid Moving Company Scams), we went with Moovers Inc.

Extremely impressed with this company. These guys have moving down to a science... the same two guys who moved my stuff in CA drove the truck and met me in Dallas. They said they would be the only ones who touch my stuff and I could see that they were careful with the stuff. They first made an inventory of items (and put stickers with running numbers on each item). Though it seems like common sense, they hand weigh the boxes and ensure that the heaviest ones are placed at the bottom. Communication was great through the move. Only minor hiccup was misplaced the screws for my bed frame but guess what.. they subtracted $20 from the move for this! It cost me only like $5 at Home Depot.

And, I almost forgot, they made an initial inspection of inventory a week or two before the move and gave me a binding estimate. Turned out that my stuff weighed 1000 pounds over their estimate but they honored their initial estimate.

Anyways, let me know if you have any questions.

Ps: for moving our car, we used Golden Key Express. I got a quote of $475 from DAS and still went ahead with GKE for $875 as having a car in a new city was critical ... I didn't have the time or the energy to deal with issues like car damage etc... long distance moving is stressful enough.
How much did the moving company charge you? We need details!

Old 04-03-2009, 07:43 AM

Just dug up my receipts and the total was $2191

Don'have the exact initial weight estimate but it was about 3000 lbs. We had 73 boxes, about 30 of which were book boxes (very heavy). Besides that we had some random stuff that they packed - 5 speakers, receiver, dvd player, TV, a queen mattress/box spring, chest of drawers, bookshelf, some chairs, laundry boxes, 6 suitcases, a curio stand and maybe 10 other smaller items that I'm missing.

The $2191 included everything (load/unload/fuel, packing the stuff I mentioned). It also included $81 I paid for a 25K insurance(completely optional, also not very useful unless they pack the stuff and document the contents in each package, I later learned. Otherwise, they pay by weight).

We considered PODS as well but didn't want to deal with the hassle of loading so much stuff into the POD.

Last edited by sftransplant; 04-03-2009 at 07:55 AM..

Old 04-03-2009, 07:50 AM

Also, here's something we found really useful:

We numbered each box in LARGE font on 5 sides of the box. We diligently documented the contents of each box. This helped us decide which boxes to open first and which to put off until later ( we haven't opened about 10 boxes yet cos its stuff we don't need now )

Document everything, even if you use clothes, towels etc to pad some of the boxes. Really helps to find the exact thing you're looking for.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sftransplant View Post
Also, here's something we found really useful:

We numbered each box in LARGE font on 5 sides of the box. We diligently documented the contents of each box. This helped us decide which boxes to open first and which to put off until later ( we haven't opened about 10 boxes yet cos its stuff we don't need now )

Document everything, even if you use clothes, towels etc to pad some of the boxes. Really helps to find the exact thing you're looking for.
Yes, thats very smart. We did something similar to this that helped us. We actually wrote what was in them.

Also, Pods isn't bad at all. You just call a local moving company and they will load it. They charge by the hour and they can pack a whole house in under 2 hours. It only took them 1 hour for ours.

Then same thing when you get to your location.

Either way would work though.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:37 PM

4 posts, read 10,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcrules1 View Post
We used PODS and the service went real smooth. None of our items were thrown around etc.
This is how we did everything: We set up a date for pods to drop of one of their pods. We then called a local moving company to show up on that date and move all the items into the pod (About $150). We then put a lock on it and they picked it up the next day.

Then we had a car mover pick up our car. It was $700 for that. We then drove the other car to our new home in Dallas. We then called another moving company here to send 2 guys out ($125) and they unloaded everything. It was an extremely smooth process!

The POD charge was about $2800.00 which was a bit high but worth every penny. Also, we got to write it off when we did our taxes.

If you have any question PM me. I can surely give you more advice. We thought everything through pretty well.
Hi UFCRULES1, who did you use to unload your Pod in Dallas? We're sending a Pod with our things from CT to TX, and will need help moving heavy things into the house. Thanks for any leads you can offer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas