Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 10:09 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,557,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
A good friends children attend a very new elementary school in far east Richardson that is part of the Plano ISD. Schell Elementary. They have something like 30-something languages spoken and an entire population of people from all over the globe. They had a HUGE map of the world in the main hallway and they had the kids put where their "homeland" was and there wasn't a spot on it that didn't have a "dot", well not the ocean of course.
That IS cool. My parents actually live right by the elem, so I know which one you are talking about.

My son's preschool (in Plano) is similar....between the only 140 students and 14 teachers, 23 countries are represented.

To the OP, my son is also a huge minority (white) in his school, with the highest ethnic representation being Indian and Arab. I love the experience for him...I hope for similar diversity as we move into elementary school as well. Being so young in this environment, I don't think he even really registers the color differences...he just sees skin color the same way he may see different eye color or nose shapes or height or size...it is just a part of each person's appearance but certainly doesn't define them in any way.

As far as the parents go...some people you click with, some you don't...I don't know that it necessarily has to do anything with their culture, religion, etc...it's the whole package, ya know....having things in common goes way beyond skin color. I grew up with a number of Indian friends, so I do naturally feel comfortable around this culture. However, that being said, there have been times at my son's school where I have felt a little left out...for example, when a group of ladies where discussing their plans for Diwali, or some else significant to their culture. However, I just remind myself that they too might feel out of place if I was sitting around with friends discussing Christmas plans. So instead of feeling uncomfortable about it, I jump into the conversation, asking questions and educating myself about their culture, traditions, etc. Also, becoming involved in the PTA gave me common ground with the other parents and hence, have enabled me to make great friendships with parents of all ethnicities.

Good Luck...I think you are making a wise choice for your child!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 01:52 PM

191 posts, read 946,098 times
I went to a school where whites were by far the minority. I'd say 90% of us were multi-racial. I, myself, am half white and half Asian. All my friends were mixes of Asian, black, white, native American, etc. There were very few pure white kids and very few pure black, Hispanic, etc. kids. I went to a high school on a military base in Korea and I really, really enjoys the multi-racial aspect. There was no reigning "ethnicity" since 90% of us were mixed. There were a lot of white+Asian kids, black+Asian, and Hispanic+Asians. My best friends were Asian-White, 100% Asian, Puerto Rican, and Black-Asian. I think it was a great environment to grow up in since there wasn't a huge focus on "So-and-so is black" or "So-and-so is Hispanic" because there were basically NO 100% ANYTHINGS. Everyone was very accepting and everyone was friends with everyone else. I really think that over the next few hundred years there won't be specific "races" of people anymore and I sincerely hope not! If I had a chance to send my kids to a school like the one I went to, I would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas