Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 04:35 PM

4 posts, read 8,980 times

Advertisements

Hi Mrsbozzo,

Welcome to Texas, Desoto is o.k. but it has one of the highest foreclosure rates in the state. Any of the cities around Joe Pool Lake are good. Mansfield ISD. is highly rated. Texas Education Agency - Welcome to the Texas Education Agency . There are good contracting opportunities in the area. Rents vary, but you can expect about $900 for a 3-2-2 with about 1750 sq. ft. The HEB area is good too, but the rents are a little higher and the homes older. It is more centrally located which might be helpful until you get settled.
good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 05:19 PM

1,637 posts, read 4,114,776 times
DeSoto's foreclosure rate isn't one of the highest in Texas. It isn't even the highest in the Dallas-Fort Worth Area. The Dallas Morning News just published a map of foreclosures that took place last year. The percentage of homes in foreclosure accounted for 3.24% of all homes in the city. That is nowhere near the rates of fast growing northern suburbs like Aubrey, which has a foreclosure percentage of 13.89%, or Oak Point's 5.80%. Even Little Elm's figure, 3.69%, was higher than DeSoto's. There are other communities that are much worse off than DeSoto, but anytime there is a news story on foreclosures in DFW, the southern suburbs (Cedar Hill, DeSoto, and Lancaster in particular) are usually brought up first – as if this is the only area where homes are being foreclosed on. The same thing happens quite often on city-data when an inquiry about a possible move to a southern suburban community is made.

The bottom line is yes, DeSoto has had a number of foreclosures, but so has just about every suburb in the area. It is still a safe, family-friendly community with great neighborhoods and well-run city government.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:25 PM

Just wait, dont get me wrong I have family in Desoto. It is nice. But you also have to include homes that were never sold to buyers, that banks took back.

Last edited by robdela; 02-27-2009 at 05:36 PM..

Old 02-27-2009, 05:36 PM

1,637 posts, read 4,114,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdela View Post
Just wait, dont get me wrong I have family in Desoto. It is nice.
Let me apologize if you thought that I was directing my previous comment at you. I am not an argumentative person and didn't mean to come off that way. I lived in DeSoto for many years and now live in the neighboring city of Lancaster. In fact, my current home was a foreclosure left in good condition. It seems as though our communities are always the targets of foreclosure stories. The point I was trying to make was that this is happening across the area, not just here.

Again, let me sincerely apologize if I offended you in any way.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:50 PM

424 posts, read 1,819,778 times
I would definately make sure you have a job here first. Who knows where the economy will be 6 months from now, but right now I can honestly say there are very few jobs here and the market is VERY tight. Construction is down, but on the bright side, people are renovating and fixing up their pre-existing homes. I would imagine with all the foreclosures, there is a demand for painters (though I suspect there are a lot of them right now).

Carrollton is also a nice place that is an easy commute to Plano, Dallas, mid-cities, etc. Just be sure you check out what part you choose. I recommend Keller Springs and anything north.

Irving may also be a viable choice for what you are looking for. There are some great places in Irving and like any larger suburb/city, there are some not so good areas. A realtor can best help you with that, and there are many postings on Irving. Even when you read the postings remember to do the actual research yourself and visit the area first. If you are going to rent, I would be VERY careful about where you go. consider renting a house, or townhouse first.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:53 PM

No problem, I was in a class this week and foreclosures were one of the topics. The builders are next. But your right foreclosures are everywhere. Southwest Alliance of Asset Managers, LLC

Old 03-02-2009, 05:22 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,606,327 times
I agree with both Grainraiser and grhtex. Please rent or lease a home first even for a couple of years because your options are endless from Dallas to the Midcities to Ft. Worth and beyond

Old 03-05-2009, 07:34 AM

3 posts, read 9,476 times
Thank you all so much for your input....
My husband and I are coming down for a visit the first week of April. We will be staying with a friend in DeSoto. We are going to take our time and check out all of our options before making the commitment. I really do appreciate all the advise.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:33 PM

2 posts, read 4,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbozzo View Post
I am moving to the Dallas area sometime this spring or early summer (2009). Right now we are just browsing, trying to get a feel of what we are getting into and if this is the best decision for my family. I am in adminstration, my husband is a painter/contracter. We have 4 boys age range from 5 to 11 years. I would definately want them in a great school, and would like to live in a good neighborhood. We are a middle working class family both of us have lived in Michigan our entire lives and this is a big move for us. I was just hoping for some real advise as far as what area's are good for the middle class families, what schools are the best. I am leaning toward DeSoto at this time. We will both also be looking for employment so if any has opinions on this please share.

Hi, Husband I moved to dallas / fortworth area last year... tough. don't know anyone.... um, we are renting a house in garland. love the house, not to keen on the neighborhood. I love the North East side of Dallas... on the outskirts... Mckinney, Richardson, Plano, The Colony, Addison... If I had a choice we would move there... of maybe even more north like Denton. Well... keep me posted... love to keep us Michiganders together (hate that word)... can't have enough new friends in a new town.

~ Michelle

Old 03-18-2009, 09:35 PM

21 posts, read 61,368 times
Check out Coppell and Grapevine as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas