Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 12:35 PM

3 posts, read 9,339 times

Advertisements

I am moving to the Dallas area sometime this spring or early summer (2009). Right now we are just browsing, trying to get a feel of what we are getting into and if this is the best decision for my family. I am in adminstration, my husband is a painter/contracter. We have 4 boys age range from 5 to 11 years. I would definately want them in a great school, and would like to live in a good neighborhood. We are a middle working class family both of us have lived in Michigan our entire lives and this is a big move for us. I was just hoping for some real advise as far as what area's are good for the middle class families, what schools are the best. I am leaning toward DeSoto at this time. We will both also be looking for employment so if any has opinions on this please share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 01:41 PM

198 posts, read 505,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbozzo View Post
I am moving to the Dallas area sometime this spring or early summer (2009). Right now we are just browsing, trying to get a feel of what we are getting into and if this is the best decision for my family. I am in adminstration, my husband is a painter/contracter. We have 4 boys age range from 5 to 11 years. I would definately want them in a great school, and would like to live in a good neighborhood. We are a middle working class family both of us have lived in Michigan our entire lives and this is a big move for us. I was just hoping for some real advise as far as what area's are good for the middle class families, what schools are the best. I am leaning toward DeSoto at this time. We will both also be looking for employment so if any has opinions on this please share.
Hello mrsbozzo,
Been there done that. Moved my family (wife & 2 teen age kids) in June 07 from Michigan to Dallas area. You can search the forums for my previous posts which provide feedback on my thoughts and experience on our move or send me a direct message and I'll be happy to spill my guts.

We're homesick but still alive and happy. I saw my first bradford pear tree budding today in late Feb. which made me smile.

Regards,
GRHTEX

Old 02-26-2009, 03:08 PM

6,701 posts, read 13,909,692 times
Could you give a little more information on what type of neighborhood your wanting to live in. House budget, diversity or not, new home construction or older homes with charm. Please provide a little more information on what you want from a neighborhood.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:07 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,081,983 times
Quote:
DeSoto would be a great choice for your family. Speaking as a former sixteen-year resident of the city, there are many nice neighborhoods for middle-class families like yourselves to choose from.

Like any school district, it has some schools that perform better than others. Ruby Young Elementary is an excellent campus that has long had a reputation as one of the district's best. My younger brother went there from 1997-2002 and the teachers and staff were terrific. Cockrell Hill, Northside, and Woodridge are other schools that are worth checking out as well.

On this forum, out of state residents typically look to the northern suburbs of Dallas, but the southern suburbs of Dallas County are solid middle-class communities experiencing notable population and business growth.

If you ultimately decide to make the move from Michigan to Texas, Welcome!

Old 02-26-2009, 05:26 PM

3 posts, read 9,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grhtex View Post
Hello mrsbozzo,
Been there done that. Moved my family (wife & 2 teen age kids) in June 07 from Michigan to Dallas area. You can search the forums for my previous posts which provide feedback on my thoughts and experience on our move or send me a direct message and I'll be happy to spill my guts.

We're homesick but still alive and happy. I saw my first bradford pear tree budding today in late Feb. which made me smile.

Regards,
GRHTEX
Well, as I'm sure you know... Michigan is really going down hill!!! My husband is in the painting/construction business and there is nothing here. I have a friend that lives in DeSoto right now and she seems to really like it there however, she doesn't have children. Right now we live in a subdivision outside of Lansing. So I would definately like to remain in the burbs wherever we decide to go. My whole family is here in Michigan and I'm scared out of my mind but something tells me that this is going to be very beneficial for my family. So how has the move been for you and your family? Are there a lot of job oportunities down there? My husband and I are coming down to visit in April, just to check it out and see if there is anything that really attracts us. Are there any specific areas that you would recommend?

Old 02-26-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Well, as I'm sure you know... Michigan is really going down hill!!! My husband is in the painting/construction business and there is nothing here. I have a friend that lives in DeSoto right now and she seems to really like it there however, she doesn't have children. Right now we live in a subdivision outside of Lansing. So I would definately like to remain in the burbs wherever we decide to go. My whole family is here in Michigan and I'm scared out of my mind but something tells me that this is going to be very beneficial for my family. So how has the move been for you and your family? Are there a lot of job oportunities down there? My husband and I are coming down to visit in April, just to check it out and see if there is anything that really attracts us. Are there any specific areas that you would recommend?

I had a job lined up when I moved so that made things much easier. The job market is slowing here too but is still going to be better than MI.
It's good that you are coming to check it out first. Take your time and see as much as you can. Its a huge metro area with lots of nice area's to choose from. I know very little about Desoto as we are about 40-50 miles north of Desoto at the opposite end of the metroplex in Prosper. There are many nice area's in north Texas including; Prosper, Frisco,, McKinney, Celina, to name a few. My kids like it here and adjusted very quickly, more quickly than we did. They made friends quickly in school and seem to enjoy it. Like you mentioned part of our reasoning for moving was future opportunity for our kids. My wife and I felt sorry for ourselves for about a year and stewed in our home sickness which was a big mistake. So if you come to stay be sure to get out see the area, go to a rodeo, go to a swap meet, go to Ft Worth, go to the State fair, eat some BBQ and get a Cowboy hat, embrace Texas a little, this will help. We've found that Texans are very friendly. There are transplants from all over the place here as well. Don't expect it to be Michigan or the midwest - the trees are smaller as are the lakes, but there are nice lakes. The winters are mild and we love that, and the roads wont destroy your car. I often go for a hike in shorts during the winter. The summers are hot but not unbearable depending on how you handle heat. The humidity is relatively low compared to a MI summer so this makes it bearable.

Hope I answered most your questiosn for now. Good luck and write if there are more.

Regards,
GRHTEX

Old 02-27-2009, 08:50 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,845,035 times
I would also recommed the midcities area... Hurst,Euless and Beford good home prices, good schools, low crime good commity facilites and a great central location in between both Dallas and Ft worth.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
I would also recommed the midcities area... Hurst,Euless and Beford good home prices, good schools, low crime good commity facilites and a great central location in between both Dallas and Ft worth.
I have a co-worker who lives in Bedford and raised 6 kids there. 1 became an A-10 pilot in the Air force, two others became teachers and another a priest. I'm not sure what the other two did but when I talk to him and congratulated him on this I asked him if he had any bungee kids. Those are the kind that leave and come back in their mid to late 20s because they sometimes screw up or get in trouble financially or otherwise. The answer was no. So there might be something going on there in Bedford besides good parenting on my friend's part. I also have a coworker - a native Texan who relocated to Columbus, OH for 8 years and just recently came back and settled in Euless. I've been to Grand Prairie twice which is also in the mid city area and honestly didn't think much of it, but I didn't really see all if it either.

Regards,
GRHTEX

Old 02-27-2009, 04:38 PM

6,701 posts, read 13,909,692 times
Quote:

I would suggest you rent until you find what part of town you will be working in. Desoto is a great area to live but if you land a job in Plano the commute would be brutal. Many areas in the DFW to settle but finding were your job is located really helps narrow the search.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
I would suggest you rent until you find what part of town you will be working in. Desoto is a great area to live but if you land a job in Plano the commute would be brutal. Many areas in the DFW to settle but finding were your job is located really helps narrow the search.
Grainraiser is correct. This is very good advice and I wish I could have done this. The downside is you have to basically move twice and possibly move your kids to another school depending on where you land a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas