Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 09:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,884 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband and I will be coming to Dallas for the summer for an internship and we are not familiar with the area at all. We found an apartment in Plano by the 75, but we were wondering what we can expect for a commute time. My husband will be working on N. Harwood Drive downtown (I was informed there are several "downtowns" in Dallas, so I don't know if that helps at all). We live in DC, so we're used to traffic, but we would also like to know what time general rush hour is. Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 06:33 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,924,109 times
Default Re:

You don't know it yet, but you found the perfect place for your apartment. Your husband can take the Red Line DART Rail from the Parker Rd. station at 75 and Parker and be dropped off a couple of blocks from his work.

I worked on Harwood a number of years ago, before rail service was extended to Plano. Back then, my bus left Plano at 7:08 and got me to work just before 8. So 45 minutes was the general amount of time back then. Today, I'd probably estimate it's an hour commute if the light rail won't work for you. Of course, if there's bad weather or an accident, all bets are off.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:54 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
Are you coming from California?

I work downtown and live 13 miles north - still in Dallas, but in the same direction as Plano. Plano is further. My commute is about 45-75 minutes each way. I take 75 to work and the Dallas North tollway home. The tollway is a lot faster, but if you are off 75 then that's the freeway you will use.

I get on 75 just south of the 635/75 interchange. You are more north and will have to travel through Richardson, so I'm guessing your regular commute will be 60 minutes, longer with wrecks and weather.

If you don't have kids (people with kids seem to be willing to make longer commutes to get into the good school districts like Plano) you might think about living closer in to work.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:51 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,432,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Are you coming from California?

I work downtown and live 13 miles north - still in Dallas, but in the same direction as Plano. Plano is further. My commute is about 45-75 minutes each way. I take 75 to work and the Dallas North tollway home. The tollway is a lot faster, but if you are off 75 then that's the freeway you will use.

I get on 75 just south of the 635/75 interchange. You are more north and will have to travel through Richardson, so I'm guessing your regular commute will be 60 minutes, longer with wrecks and weather.

If you don't have kids (people with kids seem to be willing to make longer commutes to get into the good school districts like Plano) you might think about living closer in to work.
I live in Frisco and commute to downtown Dallas everyday and my commute via the Dallas North Tollway takes about 35 minutes.

There is no way it is going to take an average of 60 minutes to get from Plano to downtown! Just this morning on the news traffic report on NBC5, they were saying it was taking 20 minutes to get from 75 and 121 to 635 LBJ, and then 11 minutes to get from 635 to Woodall Rodgers(Downtown). And this was with a wreck at Spring Valley. So if it takes 31 minutes on 75 to get from McKinney to downtown Dallas with a wreck, then it is going to be even less from Plano since it is further south than McKinney.

Old 02-27-2009, 04:55 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,516,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acpierson View Post
Hi, my husband and I will be coming to Dallas for the summer for an internship and we are not familiar with the area at all. We found an apartment in Plano by the 75, but we were wondering what we can expect for a commute time. My husband will be working on N. Harwood Drive downtown (I was informed there are several "downtowns" in Dallas, so I don't know if that helps at all). We live in DC, so we're used to traffic, but we would also like to know what time general rush hour is. Thank you for your help.
Welcome! Just to clarify, Dallas only has one downtown. N. Harwood St. is located there. There are lots of office buildings scattered around Dallas, particularly along the toll road by the Galleria. Most of the large suburbs have their own downtowns as well, but there is no comparison between those places and downtown Dallas based on sheer size and cultural amenities. Your location in Plano is convenient in the sense that it allows your husband to take DART rail or drive a straight shot down I-75, but it will be a schlep. It's none of my business, but since you said you're not familiar with the area I'll throw in my $.02. Since you're only going to be here for the summer, if you plan on exploring Dallas and its many attractions, you might want to look at places to live that are closer in than Plano. Plano is a nice suburb, but the best of what Dallas has to offer is going to be much closer to downtown.

Last edited by Dallas native; 02-27-2009 at 05:07 PM.. Reason: change

Old 02-27-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $DFW8$ View Post
I live in Frisco and commute to downtown Dallas everyday and my commute via the Dallas North Tollway takes about 35 minutes.

There is no way it is going to take an average of 60 minutes to get from Plano to downtown! Just this morning on the news traffic report on NBC5, they were saying it was taking 20 minutes to get from 75 and 121 to 635 LBJ, and then 11 minutes to get from 635 to Woodall Rodgers(Downtown). And this was with a wreck at Spring Valley. So if it takes 31 minutes on 75 to get from McKinney to downtown Dallas with a wreck, then it is going to be even less from Plano since it is further south than McKinney.
I should add my commute times go all the way to my desk. Even once I hit Woodall Rogers freeway downtown, I still have 15 more minutes counting exiting, winding around downtown to our parking garage and hiking to the building and elevator times.

Also my commute times are towards the end of the rush hour, leaving the house around 8:15ish.

11 minutes from 635 to Woodall today?? Not when I took it. I sat at a dead stop at one point, well, several points. My usual speed limit is around 20mph.

The tollway is much much better coming home, up until 635 when it comes to a dead stop, but I get off there and wind my way around to my 'hood from there. I can see the sign that gives the number of minutes to George Bush from Spring Valley. The shortest amount of time I have seen is 7 minutes, the longest 18 minutes. This is around 5:45pm.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:01 PM

6,800 posts, read 14,018,392 times
You never specified if you guys had kids or not. If your childless I would suggest living in uptown. Your husband will be closer to work and you guys will be close to restaurants and activities. Just something to think about.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:20 PM

3 posts, read 6,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
You don't know it yet, but you found the perfect place for your apartment. Your husband can take the Red Line DART Rail from the Parker Rd. station at 75 and Parker and be dropped off a couple of blocks from his work.
I Agree, you have found the perfect place.

I've been in Dallas for about 2 months now and really like the Plano area. I've been taking DART and it's great. Here's my typical morning commute... 8-10 minute race to Parker Rd station (the stress part), 40 minutes of sitting, reading, and looking out the window at all the brake lights on hwy 75 (my favorite part); then a 2 minute walk to my office. Not to mention the money I save on parking, gas, car wear, and road rage therapy sessions.

Old 02-28-2009, 03:03 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,432,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I should add my commute times go all the way to my desk. Even once I hit Woodall Rogers freeway downtown, I still have 15 more minutes counting exiting, winding around downtown to our parking garage and hiking to the building and elevator times.

Also my commute times are towards the end of the rush hour, leaving the house around 8:15ish.

11 minutes from 635 to Woodall today?? Not when I took it. I sat at a dead stop at one point, well, several points. My usual speed limit is around 20mph.

The tollway is much much better coming home, up until 635 when it comes to a dead stop, but I get off there and wind my way around to my 'hood from there. I can see the sign that gives the number of minutes to George Bush from Spring Valley. The shortest amount of time I have seen is 7 minutes, the longest 18 minutes. This is around 5:45pm.
Ya I leave earlier than that. I usually leave no later than 7:15...but Friday I left at 7:25 and made it by 8:01.

Last edited by FarNorthDallas; 02-28-2009 at 03:20 PM.. Reason: sorry dfw8, I hit the wrong button!!

Old 02-28-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $DFW8$ View Post
Ya I leave earlier than that. I usually leave no later than 7:15...but Friday I left at 7:25 and made it by 8:01.
If I leave by 7:15am and take the tollway I can make it all the way to my desk in 30 minutes. I have not tried 75 at 7:15am though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas