Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 11:01 AM

16,175 posts, read 32,478,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
You are describing Lakewood - zip code 75214!!
Also look in M-Streets - 75206.

I take my son to his math tutor in the Wilshire Heights neighborhhod - some cute homes there...between LW and MStreets. We arrive a little after 5pm and everyone, I mean EVERYONE, is outside chatting with neighbors, walking dogs, kids playing in the front yards. It's very ideal.
Pepper,

Thank you very much! I did look at the Tokalon street mentioned above and nearly had a heart attack when I saw some of the prices! I am glad to know what zip codes to look in/at. The neighborhood you describe does sound ideal. I can envision cocktails and chatting. You have been very helpful! Reps for you.

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 12:06 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,477,862 times
Ok...yeah. Tokalon is the creme for sure. But there should be other options w/in Lakewood in your price range.

Sheesh...I'm not even in that price range, but thrilled I have friends who are...and I take full advantage of their LW home directly on the 4th of July parade route, etc.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:23 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,516,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Where is a good central location with charming homes, safe, etc. that is in the price range of $300-$50K? I would like to be like the homes and neighborhoods you are describing in this thread. Charming, well established, well kept, etc. Thanks!
In addition to some very nice E. Dallas neighborhoods, check out North Oak Cliff neighborhoods such as Kessler Park, Stevens Park & Winnetka Hts. There will be plenty of high quality housing from $300k up to over $1m. Lots of it will be under $500k though. See the links below:

The Neighborhoods of Oak Cliff

Kessler Neighbors United

Last edited by Dallas native; 03-06-2009 at 01:49 PM..

Old 03-07-2009, 01:31 AM

8 posts, read 14,421 times
I am just going to have to chime in here and add that Dallas does have some of the most beautiful streets. I some times just drive around the Park Cities / Uptown area for hours, great motivation for a bored UNT student ;-)

Pepper,
Thanks for the advise, I will Mapsco it on my next outing.

Have a good one,

Old 03-08-2009, 09:59 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,415,733 times
I grew up about 4 houses up from where Lakewood Blvd. meets Tokalon. Absolutely the most beautiful area in Dallas, no question.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:31 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,145,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPMom View Post
Well, the amount of suburb-worship in Dallas is pretty interesting. At the risk of inciting controversy I've observed that many people who live out in the northern suburbs are quite different from those who live in the city. I tend to get very different responses when I discuss our family's desire to live in Dallas. People up north look at me like I've lost a few marbles. I truly don't get this. Maybe they don't know all these lovely areas we've discussed. Maybe it's easier to pretend they don't exist and camp out in the suburbs. Maybe people believe living in communities with more minorities = unsafe. Who knows. Obviously folks in the city totally get it, but they don't bash the suburbs. They tend to tell me the burbs are a bit too artificial for their tastes. I kinda agree.

Honestly, I just can't fathom driving an hour or more each day to get to work, school, or whatever. So I guess my decision really comes down to traffic. And I have no need to show anyone that I live in a fancy suburban house that looks exactly like 27 others in my neighborhood. Perhaps I lived in Minnesota too long, where our lovely quiet suburb of unique homes was a 15 minute drive from downtown. 15 minutes! Sigh.

Clearly I'm rambling, which probably means I should go to sleep...
MSPMom, thanks for the sanity -- you will notice that when I have criticized (or given any word of warning about) the new shiny suburb of the moment, I have been called 'bitter' and 'jealous' and generally raked over the coals.

For some reason they seem to think that if you don't live there it's because you can't afford it. That really is a laugh for most of the population of Lakewood.

I recently went to a home on Tokalon after a funeral and it just felt comforting to be on that beautiful street with my lifelong friends.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:24 AM

126 posts, read 443,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
MSPMom, thanks for the sanity -- you will notice that when I have criticized (or given any word of warning about) the new shiny suburb of the moment, I have been called 'bitter' and 'jealous' and generally raked over the coals.

For some reason they seem to think that if you don't live there it's because you can't afford it. That really is a laugh for most of the population of Lakewood.

I recently went to a home on Tokalon after a funeral and it just felt comforting to be on that beautiful street with my lifelong friends.
You've certainly taken a beating on this board, but I've always respected your fierce devotion to your 'hood.

I remember someone once mentioned that the people with real money live inside LBJ. Back then I didn't really understand what the person meant. But then I drove around Lakewood and other areas like Bluffview and saw some streets and estates that put Highland Park to shame. It was incredible and eye opening. And much different than the wealthy subdivisions in the burbs.

As people move further away from our nation's cities, I've always had the sinking feeling that these wonderful communities where so many of us grew up would just die out. The people of Lakewood are clearly making sure that doesn't happen, but other areas aren't so fortunate.

Now, if I could find a nice home in Lakewood for less than $400K to buy or less than $3000 to rent...

On an unrelated note -- I went to Savor Dallas and tasted wine from a couple of guys from Lakewood. Apparently there's a winery in Lakewood too? They laughed and said there's nowhere else in the city they'd rather live or work.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:02 AM

190 posts, read 430,241 times
lakewood's a small town plain and simple. its an incredible community that while at once totally involved in the city and right at its foot, it also can feel totally autonomous.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:04 PM

8 posts, read 14,421 times
Well I actually did some driving in Lakewood, I like east Dallas! If I stay here I might just have to find a place in that area.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:20 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,145,727 times
I hope you can - it may be hard to explain but streets like Tokalon seem to belong to all of us. We all know stories about the houses and the people who have lived there over the generations. It's not envy, we treasure Tokalon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: