Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Relocating to Dallas: transplants, first time home buying, medical jobs, downtown, traffic.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 05:34 PM

774 posts, read 1,164,606 times

Advertisements

hstfan82, Proud Rowlett, momof2, et al -

The information you've posted is very much appreciated. I, too, will be relocating from the SF Bay Area to the DFW region in the very near future. I don't know the area well but will be working in the W. Mockingbird / Stemmons Fwy area.

Aside from wanting to purchase a home in a decent neighborhood, I am trying very hard to keep my commute under 30 minutes. I've had enough of sitting bumper to bumper in a metal box inhaling fossil fuel fumes for the better part of an hour with 10,000 of my closest friends, all in the name of getting to work and back home.

I'm not overly-concerned about the schools since the kids are grown and gone. Nor am I overly-concerned about the ethnic makeup of the neighborhood, although my experience has shown me that the more a community is diverse in person and thought, the more livable and tolerant of differences it tends to be. I'm not interested in living around folks who are still fighting the Civil War.

Any additional information you all can provide would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 07:41 PM

2,964 posts, read 3,531,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloRoller View Post

The information you've posted is very much appreciated. I, too, will be relocating from the SF Bay Area to the DFW region in the very near future. I don't know the area well but will be working in the W. Mockingbird / Stemmons Fwy area.

Aside from wanting to purchase a home in a decent neighborhood, I am trying very hard to keep my commute under 30 minutes. I've had enough of sitting bumper to bumper in a metal box inhaling fossil fuel fumes for the better part of an hour with 10,000 of my closest friends, all in the name of getting to work and back home.

I'm not overly-concerned about the schools since the kids are grown and gone. Nor am I overly-concerned about the ethnic makeup of the neighborhood, although my experience has shown me that the more a community is diverse in person and thought, the more livable and tolerant of differences it tends to be. I'm not interested in living around folks who are still fighting the Civil War.

WTF dude? I'm guessing that if you live in a conservative neighborhood, then those people are interested in fighting the civil war? please don't come to my state if that is going to be your smug attitude.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:33 AM

53 posts, read 251,187 times
Sloroller, I've found the people of Dallas to be very kind, friendly, and helpful and am really enjoying my stay here. I think you may want to look at the neighborhood called Lakewood cos it seems to provide some of the things that people from California seem to enjoy.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:43 PM

13 posts, read 84,318 times
Default Have you researched Austin as a option instead of Dallas?

My friend who also relocated from the Central Coast of California said the culture shock one receives when moving from CA to TX is much much less when moving to Austin as opposed to other areas of TX. Austin is much closer to the TX Hill Country and is much closer to the beach than Dallas. I'm sure most natives who know both areas well would agree.....Just a thought

Last edited by mobert; 03-15-2009 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: mispelled words - duh

Old 03-16-2009, 02:38 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Austin, closer to a beach? Well maybe if you consider Hippie Hollow a beach. If you want to be close to a beach you will have to live in Corpus, Galveston or Padre. But I don't think you really want to do that. If you must be close to a decent beach, live next to DFW airport. Then you can get to almost any beach you desire in just 2-3 hours for around $300 on a cheap ticket. A little longer for the Eastern Carribbean.

Most of the older/central parts of Dallas are more Austin than Austin plus there are better job opportunities and access to all the cultural, sports and arts amenities of a 6.5 million population.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:13 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,320,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Most of the older/central parts of Dallas are more Austin than Austin plus there are better job opportunities and access to all the cultural, sports and arts amenities of a 6.5 million population.
I found that to be surprisingly true. Dallas often gets the bum rap for being a very plain, boring metro; which is unsurprising since most visitors visit the small downtown area or the newer northern burbs like Addison and Plano.

However the city of Dallas has a lot of cool neighborhoods with eclectic establishments. Some of my favorites are the Belmont Hotel (great stiff drinks with an unbelievable view of Dallas), Lee Harvey's (a bar completely off the beaten path), and Fuel City (a truck stop in the industrial area near downtown that has the best tacos in the city and girls in bikinis hanging out at the pool at back).

Old 03-16-2009, 07:09 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Hey there's a new place with firepits ala Lee Harvey's on Fort Worth Avenue just below the Belmont. I am dying to try it out.

Also see info on St. Paddy's Parade on Greenville Avenue -- does Austin have anything like that?

Old 03-17-2009, 04:54 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,676,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloRoller View Post

Always nice to see how open minded and tolerant of diversity my fellow Californians are. SloRoller you are going to love Texas. But just a few things to help your transition. First of all, if you don't know how to tie a noose they won't let you register your car. Second, they don't even have cars in Texas. Everyone rides horses. The public schools have weekly Klan rallies on Friday, it's state law. Jews are allowed but only 'cause sometimes Texans get a little crazy, shoot out the street lights and need a lawyer to get 'em out of jail. Texans like Jew lawyers. They like Blacks and Mexicans too. Somebody's gotta clean the houses and mow the lawns! And Asians? Texans love that oriental food!. Anyways, good luck in your new home down in the C.S.A.!

Old 03-17-2009, 12:14 PM

2,964 posts, read 3,531,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Hey there's a new place with firepits ala Lee Harvey's on Fort Worth Avenue just below the Belmont. I am dying to try it out.

Also see info on St. Paddy's Parade on Greenville Avenue -- does Austin have anything like that?
Austin is subordinate to Dallas and Dallas is subordinate to the Great Almighty Fort Worth.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:51 AM

774 posts, read 1,164,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
WTF dude? I'm guessing that if you live in a conservative neighborhood, then those people are interested in fighting the civil war? please don't come to my state if that is going to be your smug attitude.
Thanks, D-Towner. I didn't know that not wanting to be around close-minded people was the same as having a smug attitude. My point is simply that I am not interested in other people's drama spilling into my space because they can't deal with people who are different from themselves. It's really that simple. If that is having a smug attitude, then so be it. I'm a live and let live kind of a person, and I don't want to be bothered with people who have a hangup about black people moving into their neighborhoods. I keep my yard and house up, pay my bills and taxes, and am basically a friendly people person. I don't bother people and I don't want people hassling me, particularly simply because I don't look like them.

Otherwise, I'm looking forward to a good experience. By the way, I've been to Dallas several times. On a number of occassions, while minding my own business, I have run into people who are still fighting the Civil War. My statement is based on first-hand experience, not some pre-conceived idea of what it's like to be in Texas. And for the most part, the vast majority of people I have encountered there have been friendly and helpful. It only takes a few bad apples to screw up the barrel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas