Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2007, 11:49 AM

2 posts, read 7,119 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I plan to move in the next six months. I'm married with 3 children ages 7 and 1 year old twins. I would love to move in an area with good schools as well good childcare. We are rather young and coming from New York we would like to move somewhere that may have a social hub not to far. Can anyone help me figure out the best areas for public schools? A friend of mine moved there a month ago and her child attends Sam Houston. Is that a good school? One last thing we are thinking about renting before we buy, are there some apartment complexes that anyone can suggest. Thank you in advance for your help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 10:19 PM

13 posts, read 50,325 times
I just came from NYC and moved to Rockwall. I love it and they have great schools.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:29 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,864,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorksha View Post
Hello all,

I plan to move in the next six months. I'm married with 3 children ages 7 and 1 year old twins. I would love to move in an area with good schools as well good childcare. We are rather young and coming from New York we would like to move somewhere that may have a social hub not to far. Can anyone help me figure out the best areas for public schools? A friend of mine moved there a month ago and her child attends Sam Houston. Is that a good school? One last thing we are thinking about renting before we buy, are there some apartment complexes that anyone can suggest. Thank you in advance for your help.

What school district is this "Sam Houston" in? There are many schools in the Dallas/Ft Worth Metroplex w/ that name each in a different school district.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:44 AM

40 posts, read 184,521 times
I read your post about Woodcreek in Fate, and wondered what your final opinion of this community is? It's an area I've recently found online and keep going back to look at it.

Now that you are in Rockwall, are there any communities like Woodcreek that you could recommend? Thanks for your input!

Old 02-29-2008, 05:28 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,674,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorksha View Post
Hello all,

Keep in mind that Dallas is very spread out and "suburban" compared to Manhattan. It's a very different world. And <sigh> what I wouldn't give for a whitefish salad on a sesame bagel from Bagels and Co. right now......

Old 03-06-2008, 08:59 PM

473 posts, read 1,568,224 times
Depending on the age of your children, you might consider living in central Dallas (that may help you transition a little easier to Texas coming from New York) somewhere such as the M Streets or Lakewood. Maybe even Kessler Park. If your kids are in elementary then most of the elementary schools in those areas are really good. However, DISD falls apart at the middle and high school level and you would want to consider the burbs or private school.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:32 PM

303 posts, read 1,011,618 times
I'd consider Highland Park if you can afford it.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:50 PM

25 posts, read 124,222 times
Default Just moved here from NY

Hi my Husband, I and 2 young children hust moved here from New York.
We chose North Dallas/Richardson. I have to say I really like it!
We are centrally located to everything. A lot of transplants from Ny around here to. Schools are supposed to be the best, Brentfield and JJ Pearce.
Considering how nervous I was about moving here, I feel at home already and it has only been a few weeks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas