U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2009, 06:38 PM

136 posts, read 670,792 times

Advertisements

I moved into an apartment, it is on a major street feeding into downtown that is 6 lanes wide and packed during peak hours but pretty busy 24/7. My apartment is on the 3rd floor maybe 40 feet from the road and has huge single pane windows. The cars don't just drive by, they brake for a light, then accellerate again including large buses. I can hear all this in my apartment and after living in a very peaceful house I must say it is very annoying and im not sure I can take it. I have anxiety so maybe that is why, however I read a study that in SF people who live in areas of high traffic noise have worse health, more stress etc. I am wandering if I anyone else has lived in similar circumstances? Am I just ovreacting or is this really as bad as I think?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 07:01 PM

6,584 posts, read 23,662,430 times
YES!!! When I lived in San Diego, I lived on a busy street that was on a slight incline. Trucks would have to change gears to deal with it. It was constant noise. I lived there 12 months and then returned to Texas. I had NO IDEA what that noise was doing to me mentally until I left there. I will never ever live on a busy street again.

I commute to downtown and I see those apartments along 75 and along the tollway and I think, "How are those residents dealing with that constant noise??" I wasn't even on a highway in San Diego, just a busy side street.

I lived at another place near SMU that had a noise issue. A crazy neighbor would have his phone ring all night long (he actually lived in another unit and would call back to this upstairs unit and the phone would ring all night and I could hear it clear as a bell from upstairs). I bought some high quality earplugs and that helped so I could sleep a bit, but I moved out after 2 months. (This was a condo and I was not the owner and the owner was scared to do anything about it because the crazy neighbor was an attorney.)

Don't underestimate noise, that's for sure!

Old 03-07-2009, 01:12 AM

4,625 posts, read 9,360,113 times
I feel your pain. My seven years on Tremont St was never boring. The most evil of demons were the car alarms. Also we had the harley davidsons, trucks, Honking horns due to the traffic light and the bar across the street. We had those fine folks who came to pick up a neighbor and instead of calling on the cell or ringing a doorbell, they sat right outside honking their horns. Then there were the boom boom cars playing music so loud it shook the back walls of our condo from the front. We could hear every expletive from two blocks away. Worst was when they'd park right next to our house and sit there for 45 minutes. Not to mention the after bar shouting and rumbles.

http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b28dae5d783fefc48bb43238d5041565g.jpg (broken link)
Tremont St - NEVER boring.

Honestly though, I loved all that city schhhitt. Can't explain why but if I don't have some crazy neighbor acting out I feel like a honeybee without a hive.

That said, I am enjoying my break from all the action for now.

If anyone wants, I could post my Slade's Bar patrons rumble collection. You people would not believe what went on right outside my front door!

Old 03-07-2009, 02:54 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,221,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejj2004 View Post
I moved into an apartment, it is on a major street feeding into downtown that is 6 lanes wide and packed during peak hours but pretty busy 24/7. My apartment is on the 3rd floor maybe 40 feet from the road and has huge single pane windows. The cars don't just drive by, they brake for a light, then accellerate again including large buses. I can hear all this in my apartment and after living in a very peaceful house I must say it is very annoying and im not sure I can take it. I have anxiety so maybe that is why, however I read a study that in SF people who live in areas of high traffic noise have worse health, more stress etc. I am wandering if I anyone else has lived in similar circumstances? Am I just ovreacting or is this really as bad as I think?
I've lived in similar circumstances and I think that this is just another example of how people adapt differently to their environment. I lived in Manhattan just a block west of Times Sq. for over a decade and endured the sounds of buses, fire trucks, police cars, drunks, crack whores, etc... and I slept very well. Now I live in inner-city Dallas and there is only a fraction of the commotion that I used to endure, yet sometimes my houseguests will comment on the noise in the area. It's just an individual thing. There are city people and there are those who don't like the noise of the city. Personally, I prefer the noise of the city to the quiet of the country. But, to each his/her own.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:24 AM

32,537 posts, read 51,063,879 times
have you tried some things to lessen the noise
background music or white noise machine like rain
using sound-deadening drapes--ones with foam backing that would stop sound better than just cloth--would also make apt darker
getting some acrylic panels cut to fit your windows--making an inner sound barrier--use foam weather stripping around their edges==probably not cheap but might help

curious as to what you thought about the noise factor before leasing--were you in the actual apt...what time of the day/night

Old 03-07-2009, 01:00 PM

4,625 posts, read 9,360,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
have you tried some things to lessen the noise
background music or white noise machine like rain
using sound-deadening drapes--ones with foam backing that would stop sound better than just cloth--
Yes! L2R is exactly right. I had cds of ocean waves rain or wind. You would be astonished how much noise is reduced by big thick drapes. Storm windows do a great job too if you can get them.

Remember that sound proofing is accomplished by barriers of irregular shape, not flat, so make sure you hang your drapes not flat but curly like this:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: