Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 12:16 PM

681 posts, read 2,359,360 times

Advertisements

We own guns and live in a pretty sleepy area. Almost nothing happens in our area and crime is usually restricted to non-violent incidents.

Owning guns doesn't mean we're paranoid, but as Rakin states, we have a different mentality on personal protection. For my husband and I, owning guns and having the training to shoot well is another line of defense we depend on in case the worst ever happens. We also depend on the police, our home security system and practicing common sense privacy measures to reduce the risk of being targeted by criminals. It's not a plan-A measure of defense. More like plan-C. By increasing the number of self-defense strategies, the more likely we'll be safe in the end. It's not guaranteed, but it works for us.

I could compare our defense habits to those that install quick escape ladders in upper story windows. I don't know anyone who has those and would probably think those that do are a bit paranoid. But, I can also see that it's easy to become lulled into complacency thinking that a fire won't happen in my home, or if it did my family would be able to escape from the second floor because the smoke alarms woke them up fast and our escape route won't be obstructed by flames. [About 50% of home fire fatalities occur without smoke detectors, which means that about 50% of fatalities occur when smoke detectors are working fine. (CDC, 2008)]

It's when the stairs are in flames and you can't get to your kids, or when you're face-to-face with an intruder who'll be at your side in seconds and the police are minutes away, these questionable extra measures may prove to be very beneficial.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:25 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,460,676 times
I know many many people who carry and I suppose I will eventually. There is a back log with the process to get a permit to carry. Classes are full, the paperwork takes longer to arrive, etc.

Another reason to carry is because parts of Texas are so very rural that you can't just call the police to come help you. They are not nearby.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:32 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,237,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Huh? I lived in Texas over thirty years and never had a gun (although had them pulled on me twice) and never knew anyone that had a handgun.

I would be interested to see the statistics on handguns per capita.
"never knew anyone that had a handgun."

Are you sure you were in Texas?

Old 03-08-2009, 12:47 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,849,240 times
my fear is that many people who have guns have no clue about gun safety--
perfect case in point in the news last week

young woman was taking out the trash and was raped in her apt complex...needless to say she was pretty terrorized--reported the crime which was brave in and of itself--then she went out and bought a gun because she was frightened--apparently she also has a small child at home--not sure how old--
she was at home one night and for some reason was frightened--she got the gun out--
it was knocked off the chair or table whereever she put it and it fired--
bullet went through the wall of her apt--needless to say--into apt of neighbor--fortunately no one was hurt--
her apt complex was evicting her because of the accidental discharge which is violation of the leasing policy--not to mention the law--
my question is WHY did the gun have a shell in chamber--why was the safety not on--why did she have it in a location that allowed that to happen---
ALL BECAUSE SHE DID NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT GUN SAFETY WAS ALL ABOUT....
frankly I would not be surprised if child services paid her a visit--any person with a gun in the home is supposed to keep the trigger locked for child safety--...

Old 03-08-2009, 02:51 PM

714 posts, read 2,932,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post

she was at home one night and for some reason was frightened--she got the gun out--
it was knocked off the chair or table whereever she put it and it fired--
bullet went through the wall of her apt--needless to say--into apt of neighbor--fortunately no one was hurt--
I agree, safety is a major issue. But so is speed in not having time to look for the key to unlock the trigger lock, or to chamber a round. Bad guys usually don't have a trigger lock or an unchambered gun. But I agree, a gun owner should have the gun as ready as possible and as safe as possible. (We don't have kids, so I don't have to worry about them)

Most guns are not suppose to fire when dropped.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:17 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,814,714 times
Although I'm not in TX, I got my gun after Hurrican Katrina. I'm from New Orleans and it was a shock to see the looting. Many people in non-flooded areas stayed in their homes to protect their "stuff" and they had guns to protect themselves. Any natural disaster brings out looting, from people who either need food/water or want stuff they can't afford. It just makes sense to me to have a gun at home. I depend on my 3 large dogs, the smallest is a pitbull, to defend me from burglars, etc.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:36 PM

468 posts, read 1,886,699 times
Rule #1: Don't bring a knife to a gun fight.

You don't have to carry an assult rifle, but when my dogs start barking in the middle of the night, I can assure you I'm reaching for my shoot'n iron. Home invasions are a real thing, I just hope I never have to put any holes in a bad guy coming down my hallway.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:22 PM

438 posts, read 1,783,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robzherenow View Post
I recently moved to Texas and am realizing that almost everyone owns a gun here.
Didn't they assign you one when you crossed over the border into Tx?

Old 03-08-2009, 07:47 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,758,591 times
Just for the Record we have three handguns, a Shotgun and a $hit load of ammo.

BTW: I'm a California born (Obama supporter) Lib. It's okay to have an open mind.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:51 PM

261 posts, read 1,515,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fratermus View Post
Didn't they assign you one when you crossed over the border into Tx?

Fratermus:
I didnt cross any border to get to Texas. Im a full blooded American.
And this bring another point-
Idiotic comments like that get you shot and killed.
Grow up and live safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas