Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 04:36 PM

1 posts, read 8,427 times

Advertisements

Hey,
I am moving to Dallas and I am looking for a place near (5 mile range or about 15 min drive) from the Downtown/Art District.

Can someone list areas that are bad that I should avoid. (i.e. high crime, run down areas, bad reputation)?

Also can someone recommend areas that are nice but cheap?

I would greatly appreciate any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 11:35 AM

1,518 posts, read 5,269,990 times
Oak Lawn / Uptown / Knox-Henderson are all great.

Don't rent on Gaston or Live Oak. They're getting better -- but they're not there yet.

Downtown is also getting to be a good spot. They're currently working on about 3,000 units downtown. That place is going to be a hot spot in a few years -- but it's not there yet either. If you want a safe and hip neighborhood -- move to uptown.

http://www.uptowndallas.net/map.htm (broken link)

Old 04-05-2007, 11:50 AM

52 posts, read 175,302 times
The nicest relatively cheap area of central Dallas in which to live is Oak Lawn, which is just north of Uptown and Downtown.

Old 04-05-2007, 11:57 AM

326 posts, read 962,308 times
The Village is a nice apartment community about 15 minutes North of downtown. http://www.thevillageapts.com

Or if you're looking for something downtown or uptown check out this site:
http://www.yourdspot.com/

Old 04-05-2007, 01:30 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Look in the Dallas Morning News Classified For Rent in East Dallas and Lakewood. There is a range of everything from Mansions on estate acreage, new McMansions and new trendy townhomes down to smaller garden apartment complexes, funky duplexes-fourplexes and eightplexes, garage apartments and smaller single family homes. There are numerous historic and conservation districts filled with Italianate, Georgian, Colonial, French Eclectic, Tudors and more more modest Craftsman Bungalows.

All of this is within one song on your car radio from Lower Greenville, Lakewood and Knox-Henderson - chock full of one-of-a-kind restaurants, shops, pubs, coffee houses and bars. You can even walk a lot of places. And you are within 10 minutes of downtown or any place worth going.. DART rail also serves the area.

The magnificent jewel of East Dallas/Lakewood is White Rock Lake, the largest urban lake in the country. Dog parks, jogging, cycling, exercise and playground equipment, grills and picnic areas...

People from this area are noted for their friendliness and you will find it unpretentious compared to North Dallas and all the crazy suburbs, even though there is a lot of new and old money in the area. You won't be immediately asked, "What do you do?"

Denizens of East Dallas enjoy talking about other things in life.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:13 PM

1 posts, read 7,270 times
Default Stay out of the w.p!

one of the most dangerous places in dallas is western park area. this area is the worst in the daytime, because, gang wars, cannibalism, murders, robberies, rape, and domestic abuse are common. the homeless will harass you, and the notorious WP hustling gang "Get Money Gang", a.k.a, "GMG", sell drugs, guns, pirated DVDs and CDs out right in front of police. The bar, "Sweetwater" is normally one of the causes of the neighborhood. Car shows are normally held there. The Hip Hop promoting places are surprisingly safe, while the R&B promoting places are dangerous. Avoid their park! the worst place in there! right behind it is a neighborhood where gangs fight EVERYDAY! IT'S A BATTLEFIELD! i recently escaped last week. THIS AREA IS EASY TO REMEMBER IF YOU KNOW WHERE THE CITY OF COCKRELL HILL IS (ALSO DANGEROUS). IF YOU GO TOO FAR INTO SOUTH COCKRELL HILL, YOU WILL END UP IN WP! THOSE COCKRELL HILL AND SOUTH DALLAS SCUM ARE MESSING IT UP! Arlington is normally safe, as is north dallas.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:28 PM

492 posts, read 962,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tag32 View Post
Hey,
I am moving to Dallas and I am looking for a place near (5 mile range or about 15 min drive) from the Downtown/Art District.

Can someone list areas that are bad that I should avoid. (i.e. high crime, run down areas, bad reputation)?

Also can someone recommend areas that are nice but cheap?

I would greatly appreciate any advice!
What are you looking for? House? Condo? Apts? Duplex? Old? New?

How much to pay? About? Sorta? Kinda? Generally?

Old 02-02-2009, 11:15 PM

18 posts, read 53,160 times
Default Dallas

Hello,

North Dallas, uptown Dallas, Irving , Plano are all great areas.
I would stay away from South Dallas.
One bedrooms in Dallas range from $650 on up to 3k.
It all depends on the area.
Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:54 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,522,142 times
Avoid Preston Hollow. This was a "Whites only " neighborhord until 2000 and now is home to a nasty criminal. He tends to attack without any real evidence of what they did wrong while wasting plenty of money and resources to do so.

President Bush's new Dallas neighborhood was once whites only

There is also a convicted criminal who moved there from Detroit, not as dumb as the above but in his personal life even more sleazy.

Kwame Kilpatrick named account executive - Dallas Business Journal:

Yes you can say it and be totally non -partisan as I am "There goes the neighborhood!"

Dallas home prices have sunk in the latest Schiller survey. ( lol)

Old 03-10-2009, 07:53 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
[quote=ocean2026;7815676]Avoid Preston Hollow. This was a "Whites only " neighborhord until 2000 and now is home to a nasty criminal. He tends to attack without any real evidence of what they did wrong while wasting plenty of money and resources to do so.

President Bush's new Dallas neighborhood was once whites only>>

From the same article you provided-
"Rosalyn Franke Traylor, a realtor in the upscale Dallas neighborhood where the Bushes will soon reside, told the Daily News such tenets were common before the Civil Rights movement, but have never been enforced.
"I've been in the real estate business since the 1980s. In the 1950s, I think every deed restriction had that. You can still pull it up on some of the older homes and it will be there, but it's not ever enforced," she said."

Come on, this was common all over the place. I'm not a fan of the previous administration, but I can't stand this kind of nit-picking. Dallas is still segregated, no question about that, but it's economically segregated. If you have the $ you can live wherever you want. There are African Americans in Preston Hollow, and since before 2000. There are loads of old deed restrictions everywhere in Dallas that have simply never been taken off the books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas