Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 06:23 PM

810 posts, read 1,420,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebird View Post
Amen, you are totally correct about being quite an adjustment. I have recently moved to San Antonio and it is quite a bit more different than Dallas than I realized. I am ready to move back to Dallas as soon as I get a chance. I miss the urban life, I guess.
It is that small town mentality that SA has a lot of locals like but that same mentality is keeping the city from progressing. It also feels like a blue collar city compared to Austin, Houston, and Dallas.

I definitely miss the urban feel and variety of things Dallas offers but don't mind the slower pace of SA. I think Austin is a good blend between the two.

One other thing you may have experienced as well in SA is that Dallas typically leaves a bad taste for the locals there so don't make it too obvious that you are from Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 07:40 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,049,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro72 View Post
One other thing you may have experienced as well in SA is that Dallas typically leaves a bad taste for the locals there so don't make it too obvious that you are from Dallas.
Is that the fault of Dallas or is it bigotry on the part of the locals?

If you replaced the word "Dallas" with the name of an ethnic group, then the root cause of the bad taste becomes stark, dishonorable and unacceptable in ethical company.

The presence of metros the size of DFW must be a real threat to the self-esteem of SA. That's why they annex their entire metro area into the city of San Antonio and then claim that SA is a larger "city" than Dallas.

Do I want to live in a place that needs that kind of ego crutch? Not if I know that it is, in fact, an ego crutch.

Sure, San Antonio has its virtues, charms and pleasures. But comparing SA to Dallas is like comparing Dallas to New York.

Last edited by aceplace; 12-01-2009 at 07:49 PM..

Old 12-01-2009, 08:24 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,415,663 times
San Antonians have nothing against the City of Dallas. In fact most San Antonians proudly support the Dallas cowboys and the rangers. It's more an Austin thing to talk about Dallas in a derogatory manner, especially in regards to sprawl, and new areas that are characterless.

It seems to be particularly in bad taste to judge San Antonio for it's strong annexation policy, when Dallas could have done the same. San Antonio prevented Planos and Friscos from popping up by exercising their rights. Imagine if Dallas had annexed all the land that Plano, Richardson and Frisco now claim along with the property and sales taxes that come along with it.
When you strip both cities down to their cores, it's San Antonio that still has the more vibrant Downtown. There is nothing available in Dallas that can't be found in San Antonio except for maybe the characteristic braggadocio of it's citizens.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:47 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,506,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
There is nothing available in Dallas that can't be found in San Antonio except for maybe the characteristic braggadocio of it's citizens.
I like San Antonio, but I don't think it has anything comparable to the Dallas Arts District. I'm not bragging, just saying.......
Dallas Arts District

Old 12-01-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
San Antonians have nothing against the City of Dallas. In fact most San Antonians proudly support the Dallas cowboys and the rangers. It's more an Austin thing to talk about Dallas in a derogatory manner, especially in regards to sprawl, and new areas that are characterless.

It seems to be particularly in bad taste to judge San Antonio for it's strong annexation policy, when Dallas could have done the same. San Antonio prevented Planos and Friscos from popping up by exercising their rights. Imagine if Dallas had annexed all the land that Plano, Richardson and Frisco now claim along with the property and sales taxes that come along with it.
When you strip both cities down to their cores, it's San Antonio that still has the more vibrant Downtown. There is nothing available in Dallas that can't be found in San Antonio except for maybe the characteristic braggadocio of it's citizens.
Well, if I'm wrong about the alleged antipathy of SA citizens, then I'm happy to be wrong... I'd hate to be accurate about something like that.

SA has a pretty strong riverwalk, that is true. But The Dallas central core... inside the loop, Deep Ellum, Cedars, Uptown, Victory, Design District, Oak Lawn... is really something beyond SA... as is Dallas' light rail and trolley connections to those areas.

Nobody cares about the population of a municipal government, they evaluate cities by the size of the metro. So DFW is important because it is the 4th largest USA metro, whereas SA is 24th, or 32nd, or something like that. Well, 32nd out of a field of 350 is not all that bad, but it's not like a Dallas or Philadelphia or Houston.

The spatial extent of a municipal government does not really mean anything to the value of living in a metro... in fact, both metro Dallas and SA might be better off if they were divided into many city governments of, say, no more than 50,000 people each. The number of interesting places, entertainments, job opportunities, etc., depends on the size of the metro, not the size of a particular municipality.

Why would a lot of small governments be better than one large one? Because it gives a citizen that many more choices as to which city council and city ordinances to live under. If one set of cops, laws, or city hall bureaucrats pi***s you off, you can just move to a better one. If metro SA had only one city government, you'd be hosed... you could vote for either of two scoundrels, and nothing would ever change... if metro SA were divided into, say, 36 municipalities, you'd have a lot of choices, and the 36 municipalities would compete against each other to make their citizens happy.

Last edited by aceplace; 12-01-2009 at 10:41 PM..

Old 12-02-2009, 09:26 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,038,951 times
Good points Ace..I'm not sure I would want Dallas to be one vast place like Houston or SA. Much as I disparage some of the 'burbs, they do add interest and options. There are really only about two or three I can't stand. On the others I am nonplussed about why anyone would want to live there when they could be in Dallas...

Old 12-02-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Good points Ace..I'm not sure I would want Dallas to be one vast place like Houston or SA. Much as I disparage some of the 'burbs, they do add interest and options. There are really only about two or three I can't stand. On the others I am nonplussed about why anyone would want to live there when they could be in Dallas...
I think Mr lh_newbie would like Lake Highlands to have its own independent government.

Or am I wrong?

Do you have an opinion on the subject, LH?

Old 12-02-2009, 10:02 AM

810 posts, read 1,420,236 times
Quote:

Yes, to your point, most San Antonians like the Dallas Cowboys but that is a football team, not Dallas. If you visit the SA forum and search "Dallas", you will come across some strong opinions about Dallas. I have seen words such as "hate" when some people think of Dallas.

I think what is contributing to that factor is the stereotypes of Dallas – the stuck up, materialistic, fast-pace, and over development aspects that typically stereotype Dallas. Those things are true to some degree but there are a lot of wonderful things about Dallas that some San Antonians don’t see. What is more frustrating and I have seen similar findings from newbies in SA is that SA does not want to change its small town mentality and wants to keep things the way they are.

When visiting SA, it is wonderful with the Riverwalk, the Alamo, the Missions, etc. but that is not entirety of SA. Majority of the city looks very run-down and dirty.

Sure, SA has its charm and history and there is nothing like it in Dallas but I think SA can learn to adapt and progress as a city. It sure does not act like the 7th largest city in America if you ask me.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:42 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,038,951 times
In Lakewood we sort of have our own independent government in a de facto manner. We just don't pay any attention to City Hall or 3700 Ross until they get in our way.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:49 PM

145 posts, read 183,201 times
I concur the sentiments about Austin's collective disdain of Austin. But really, mention the word Dallas anywhere in Texas, and the stereotypes and admonishments are pervasive and wide spread. As someone who grew up in Dallas, there really isn't much else in Texas that offers the level of culture, diversity, thriving business economy, high-end dining and shopping, and fast-paced cosmopolitanism that Dallas does.

For many living in other Texas cities, there's a steak of jealousy and insecurity because of this, and it's understandable. But, you can't paint the city with a wide brush -- there are areas which reject the predominant cultural ethos of the city, with their own uniqueness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas