Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2009, 03:15 AM

5 posts, read 11,748 times

Advertisements

I am registered for the July bar exam, and will be searching for a job in Dallas / Ft. Worth thereafter. Can anyone tell me how difficult it will be to find work as a law clerk at first, and then as an attorney (presuming I pass the bar)?

I am currently in southern California, and the market is (expletive) brutal, especially for new law graduates. Recruiter after recruiter tells me how awful the legal market is here in California, and I am hoping that is not the case in Dallas / Ft. Worth.

I have also heard that law firms in Dallas / Ft. Worth overwhelmingly tend to hire graduates from Texas law schools - i.e. an out-of-stater will have a hell of time finding work at a Texas law firm. Is that the case?

I genuinely appreciate your thoughts and feedback.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 08:05 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,379,872 times
Yes, that's true for a lot of firms. Less than 10% of the attorneys at the firm where I work come from out of state law schools (mostly from adjoining states). Some firms, though, will recruit top talent from the northeast - Hunton Williams and McKool Smith for instance. I don't think I have ever even met an attorney from California.

I'm not an attorney. I'm staff. There have been some staff layoffs at some firms (not ours). I have not heard much about attorney layoffs anywhere. We are not hiring any new attorneys though. I have heard of one firm hiring bankruptcy attorneys. They were also hiring bankruptcy paralegals and got a lot of resumes from attorneys who couldn't find attorney work who were willing to work as paralegals. I have a friend who passed the bar a couple of years ago and never found an attorney job. Generally, I'd say the legal field is tough here, too.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:22 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,511,430 times
like most jobs I think legal is an incestuous type of market for hiring--tends to work on who you know--remember that Patty Hughes hired Ellen only because she was engaged to guy whose sister was key to a big case Patty had taken

frankly I would suggest if you are open to relocation that you actually see what you can get with any branch of the Fed---and maybe even consider applying for Navy or Coast Guard reserve in the JAG core--I know that is not what most law school grads would consider a prime opportunity...but...
frankly you stand less chance of going into danger than the Army--BUT you could get pulled for Marine Corp from Naval JAG maybe...
only the cream of the crop--prestigious schools and top grads get the big money/really courted jobs...

do you have any practical type of business related exp to go with your law degree?
my son has two friends who went to law school in TX--one to Tech and one to Texas Weslyan--the newest and probably one of the lowest ranked in TX--due to its size and having no reputation from graduates...
the one who went to Tech had an English degree and had tried to start a music career in Nashville--made some good contacts and has small success but could not break through and he was married--gave himself 3 yrs--and decided law was better future--he is now working for one of the larger firms in the west tx area--does criminal defense and family law--pretty basic--has been there for 4 yrs...
his uncle is tied into Texas Tech and has lots of connections around the state and I am pretty sure that helped him get some intros---he is also very active in his local church--and that does not hurt in TX where religion is just fact of life for probably 50% of people...
Son's other friend got married in college and his wife wanted him to be dentist--that did not really work for him--get his BS but did not go to dental school--got divorce instead--decided to go to TX Weslyan law school--after graduation went to England for while for more law school--now is at Columbia Law and clerking for a judge in area--he got his advanced law degree in Tax law but has no practical experience--is not a CPA and does not have background in accounting--so think that was kind of a stupid choice to specialize in when many of the people he is compteting with have a better background in tax/finance....again he did some work as asst manager for movie theater and doing some other types of customer service/office work during college/before law school--but nothing managerial...
Most legal jobs posted ask for at least 2 yrs experience...read a post where new grads were encouraged to network--join the local bar--do some volunteer work--even get job as paralegal--but frankly some paralegals are much more knowledgeable about practical day-to-day legal work than newbies out of law school and firms don't want to hire paras w/o exp either if they can help it...
newbies take too long to train and bring up to speed...

we have friend who is paralegal for firm in Austin and she works for the intellectual property guy--she said (3-4 yrs ago) that was where the big interest was...
but it is too late now to re=do a specialization I guess...

Old 03-11-2009, 08:46 AM

264 posts, read 1,180,238 times
Unless you are in the top of your graduating class from a top tier school and/or you have work experience that will give you a "leg up," I would say it may be next to impossible find a job at a more well-known law firm here. When I was practicing, most firms did hire only Texas grads, but some went out of state to the top tier schools as well (Fulbright, V&E, Baker Botts, etc.).
However, you may be able to find a job at a smaller firm or maybe a bigger insurance defense or PI firm, but you won't make much money. A lot of PI firms are going with the "eat what you kill" philosophy these days, so you may have to hustle if you choose to go that route.
I have been out of practice for many years, but my husband and many of my friends are practicing attorneys. None have lost their jobs and I know a few firms that have recently hired attorneys, but they were all lateral hires, not newbies.
I'm not sure about going the government route in Dallas, but I would also check out the DA's office and any other federal/state agency. Again, you won't make much money, but you will be working.
My suggestions to you are: 1. Start sending out resumes and making phone calls NOW, 2. Get in contact with a legal temp agency (or two or three) and take ANY assignment you can (secretary, filer, clerk, janitor, receptionist, whatever) just to get in the firm and make some contacts, 3. Be patient, 4. Think about going to Austin and working for the state - attorney general, etc.
Good luck!!

Old 03-11-2009, 01:32 PM

5 posts, read 11,748 times
Default Thank you for the feedback

Thank you all for responding to my query. All your advice seems practical and sound, and I intend on following it.

I have experience (3+ years) working as a workers' compensation insurance claims adjuster, and some experience in the sales arena (e-commerce software application). Additionally, I have some experience in mediation.

While attending law school, I worked as a law clerk for a plaintiff's PI firm, and clerked at the Sixth Circuit in Cincinnati.

It is hugely disappointing to realize that a law degree is not nearly as valuable as I had anticipated (yes, I know, poor me). Perhaps the current legal market is a byproduct of the current financial meltdown, or maybe it is has been like this for some time. In any event, any and all advice is much appreciated.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:37 PM

264 posts, read 1,180,238 times
You may also want to check the Lexis/Nexis and Westlaw websites for job openings. I worked for Lexis for several years and LOVED it. I would go back in a heartbeat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: